Sov GT Second Thoughts...Maybe an E-Trac Instead.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As posted in another thread I can get a real good deal on a brand new Sov. However...I'm a little concerned about that detector in trashy areas.
I've seen vids showing how well it does with iron over/near the good target and I've seen opposing results (strange on the net that there are opposing stances I know!) The ones that show very poor (imo) recovery really worry me.
Do nulls take a couple of seconds to recover? A 10x12 SEF make a difference? Am I worried about nothing? Should I just get an E-trac ?(I can get used for $799)

Yes I'm a newb, yes I'm confused.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy them both. LOL... Great price on both of them. You could buy either one use for couple years and sell for what you paid on either one.

I think your concerned over nothing....I get multiple signals using sov gt many times at beach including nulls and it sees all of them no delay you can notice..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As posted in another thread I can get a real good deal on a brand new Sov. However...I'm a little concerned about that detector in trashy areas.
I've seen vids showing how well it does with iron over/near the good target and I've seen opposing results (strange on the net that there are opposing stances I know!) The ones that show very poor (imo) recovery really worry me.
Do nulls take a couple of seconds to recover? A 10x12 SEF make a difference? Am I worried about nothing? Should I just get an E-trac ?(I can get used for $799)

Yes I'm a newb, yes I'm confused.

Yes depending on how trashy it is nulls can take awhile to recover. I like Minelabs stock coils the best. SEF coils quaility range can suffer. I am a HUGE E-Trac fan! I would get it if you want the BEST coin machine around.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here.......choice of Sov or E-trac? no contest......get the E-trac.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the E-trac an the Sov Gt. I Can produce about the same results with either detector.
The end of December 2012 Mindlab will produce there last Sov. Then... more than likely... any one who is selling one ( If u can find one ), is going to ask a high price for a Sov gt.
If u have the $$ for both right now, then get both. If you only have the $$ for only 1 detector Get the
Sov Gt.
Learning to hunt by tone will make you a better detectorist in the long run.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have officially given up on the E-Trac! Not a fun machine to hunt with. Feels like it weighs a ton after only a short time.(yeah I know everyone else that has one has a 95yo paraplegic grandmother w/osteoporosis that can swing one all day long blah blah blah!)

Should have got the Sov to begin with. Guess I'll be trading it off!

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the E-Trac really that bad to swing ? Never owned one The fisher F75 is great to swing all day long

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both the E-trac an the Sov Gt. I Can produce about the same results with either detector.
The end of December 2012 Mindlab will produce there last Sov. Then... more than likely... any one who is selling one ( If u can find one ), is going to ask a high price for a Sov gt.
If u have the $$ for both right now, then get both. If you only have the $$ for only 1 detector Get the
Sov Gt.
Learning to hunt by tone will make you a better detectorist in the long run.
..... That is what i have always said the Sovereign will give you the same results as the E-Trac .. It will and it does It go just as deep as the Etrac... And i have hunted trashy areas with my Sovereigns ... With no problems at all .... I never understand what one's are talking about when they say the Sovereign is no good in trashy areas ?????? If you know how to use your Sovereign you will not have problems in trashy areas.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have officially given up on the E-Trac! Not a fun machine to hunt with. Feels like it weighs a ton after only a short time.(yeah I know everyone else that has one has a 95yo paraplegic grandmother w/osteoporosis that can swing one all day long blah blah blah!)

Should have got the Sov to begin with. Guess I'll be trading it off!
The Sovereign is a lot more fun than a Etrac to use...... And goes just as deep...... But is a little heavy also but with the straight shaft it is a lot lighter...

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sovereign is a lot more fun than a Etrac to use...... And goes just as deep...... But is a little heavy also but with the straight shaft it is a lot lighter...

I mainly use an MXT Pro. It's no lightweight in itself. It's actually heavier than the ET. Just balanced a billion times better and I can use it for hours. Yes it gets heavy after a few hours but nothing like the ET.

The Sov feel better than the ET for extended periods?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to find a used Etrac around $800!
Yes depending on how trashy it is nulls can take awhile to recover. I like Minelabs stock coils the best. SEF coils quaility range can suffer. I am a HUGE E-Trac fan! I would get it if you want the BEST coin machine around.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried shortening the lower like like I mentioned? It make a HUGE difference when you aren't trying to support all the weight. Let your arm hang naturally. You don't need a 7 foot wide arc swing.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried shortening the lower like like I mentioned? It make a HUGE difference when you aren't trying to support all the weight. Let your arm hang naturally. You don't need a 7 foot wide arc swing.

Yeah I shortened it up and it did help some. I know I could have purchased a harness of some sort but in all honesty, I don't want to tethered to the thing. Plus I really HATED the fluty tones.
I did end up trading it (for a non ML) and so far I'm really enjoying the new one. That's what it's all about after all. Well that and the Hokey Pokey!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread