mine lab x-terra salt ready?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Single frequencies don't do well in salt but it can be done. You will lose depth and become more erratic.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xterra can be used successfully on the beach, but.....

With the 505 you'll have to work the dry sand separately from the wet, and you'll need to re-GB when changing from one to the other.
You may find that the Sensitivity needs to be dailed back as low as low teens to maintain stable threshold.
A DD coil will work better than a concentric.

And the 705 would be a much better choice than the 505 due to it's GB Tracking feature, which also allows Beach Tracking.
The Prospector Mode on the 705 can be used on the beach as well. It will look deeper than Coin & Relic Mode, but sacrifices ID and sounds off on all metals not eliminated by your Iron Mask setting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but ALL single frequency VLF detectors struggle in wet saltwater sand, and the "prospector mode" on the 705 is NOT good for a wet saltwater beach. It will false and chatter just like my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq on wet saltwater beaches. You'll be very lucky to get 6" in depth. This article should help you understand Saltwater Beach Detecting 101: Will One Detector Do It All?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Terry, but Xterra's aren't common VLF machines. V-Flex is different, as is FBS, FBS2, & BBS.
Try telling a Sovereign user that his machine doesn't work on the beach. :laughing7:

There are many that use Xterra's on the beach with great success.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but ALL single frequency VLF detectors struggle in wet saltwater sand, and the "prospector mode" on the 705 is NOT good for a wet saltwater beach. It will false and chatter just like my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq on wet saltwater beaches. You'll be very lucky to get 6" in depth. This article should help you understand Saltwater Beach Detecting 101: Will One Detector Do It All?

:icon_scratch: Maybe that's what the "BEACH" mode is for on the X70/705?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The beach mode does help on the beach. Dry sand it will do great!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Terry, but Xterra's aren't common VLF machines. V-Flex is different, as is FBS, FBS2, & BBS.
Try telling a Sovereign user that his machine doesn't work on the beach. :laughing7:

There are many that use Xterra's on the beach with great success.

The Sovereign is a MULTI-Frequency machine and works great on wet saltwater sand. I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with it, having used the 705 on a beach. Sure, it works, but not past 7" in depth, and with a lot of falsing. It is no better or deeper than my Lobo Super Traq on wet saltwater sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread