Best smaller coil for the ETRAC?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well you've got the Sunray X-8 and the X-5, you did say the 8" range so the X-8 would be the one. I personally have never tried the X-8 but its a Sunray so you know its a good one!
Have you ever tried an X-5 or the 6" Excellerator? The depth of those coils is amazing and the separation is 2nd to none! You can switch to manual sensitivity and push those coils way past Auto+3.
Right now the only small coil I own is the SEF 6 x 8 and the only reason I prefer it over the others is extra ground coverage. It still has much better separation than the Pro coil and weighs less.

Just my .02 cents

Jeff

Glassdigger

Apr 27, 2012
Tarlton Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Sierra Madre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 6" Excellerator and the 6x8 SEF. I love the 6x8 sef. It still goes almost as deep as the stock 11 inch.

wildherre

Greenie
Mar 29, 2009
NW Induana
Detector(s) used
Omega, V3i, Explorer, Etrac, CTX
The 6" Excelerator is priced right the best small coil for the Explorer/Etrac edging out the X-5 with a little more depth... The 6X8 SEF is a great intermediate size coil and I would consider it a must have... Depth wise in average good soil the depth with the 6" Excelerator with the proper sensitivity & gain adjustments, can be close to the same as a Pro Coil and The 6X8 about an inch or so less.... The X-8 doesnt hit as hard as the 6X8 on deeper targets... With a Pro coil, a 6" Excelerator and a 6X8 you would be ready for most situations.....wildherre

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any advice? I'm thinking in the 8" range...or smaller, I know of the Sun Ray 5" but would like a littlemore depth.

You really don't get enough separation on a 8" coil over the stock coil. I have used them all and I only keep 2. Stock coil for 95% of the time and the x-5 or really trashy areas.

You would be amazed what you can do with stock coil if you really really slow down.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No mention of the Coiltec Joey coil? I find that to be a real nice one also.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that include the 6x8 SEF? I just bought one.Funny Detech doesn't make that version for the Sovereign models. I plan on going slow: always have, even with my older concentric coil detectors. Found a lot of deep dimes that way back in the 90's.
You really don't get enough separation on a 8" coil over the stock coil. I have used them all and I only keep 2. Stock coil for 95% of the time and the x-5 or really trashy areas.

You would be amazed what you can do with stock coil if you really really slow down.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sell the coiltek as well. The SEF and Joey are almost the same as the sun ray x-8 or Minelab 8. Not a huge difference in separation over the stock coil if you know how to swing it right.

The Sun Ray X-5 however... WOW!! The stock coil and X-5 are the onky ones I take and I have used/sell them all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunray X8 is good for when you have tighter spaces to maneuver around, but it's not a super trashy site.
The X5 is AWESOME in heavy trash and you don't lose very much depth. I still dig dimes at 6 inches with it.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new Sun Ray S-8 for the GT and a nice used 6x8 SEF for the E-trac. SO now I just have to wait til it gets warm....maybe I'll clean that tube of wheat cents I have put off for 20 years :tongue3:

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course there is no 6x8 for the GT, that would be nice. I have so many coils now I think I'm set although I don't have an X-5.
I sell the coiltek as well. The SEF and Joey are almost the same as the sun ray x-8 or Minelab 8. Not a huge difference in separation over the stock coil if you know how to swing it right.

The Sun Ray X-5 however... WOW!! The stock coil and X-5 are the onky ones I take and I have used/sell them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread