I am new at this And I just bought a 705 i Need help

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read you manual again. Find a clean piece of ground without targets and lay down some nails, pulltabs, gold rings, silver rings and the usually coins. Wave the coil over it in disc mode and see where they come in at with your detector. Not all detectors read the exact same. Note if you disc out pull tabs the gold rings don't respond either. White gold can ring up in the foil range. Hope this helps you some.

OP
OP
muleman

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
Sandman said:
Read you manual again. Find a clean piece of ground without targets and lay down some nails, pulltabs, gold rings, silver rings and the usually coins. Wave the coil over it in disc mode and see where they come in at with your detector. Not all detectors read the exact same. Note if you disc out pull tabs the gold rings don't respond either. White gold can ring up in the foil range. Hope this helps you some.

Ok thank you that does help

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you program that one you mite be-able to select a pre pro gram already set up in the detector and alter it a little
the etrac and the 3030 I think you can right your own pro grams
only white's detectors like the dfx,xlt, vx3, v3i you can make and set up a custom Taylor program other than the ones that come strait from the factory the v3i is the only "real time" detector on the market...I like the option of the coil talking to the control housing and telling what frequency it is on the mine labs....test garden is the best like sandman said....

hope that help have fun

liftloop

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-mail sent. Twice. Returned as not deliverable.

So......
The absolute best place to start with the Xterra is to go to the MInelab website and sign up. It's free and obligates you to nothing. Then go to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's free E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". Read it twice. It's an easy read and packs a whole lot of useful information into an understandable format. After reading it, go play with your machine. And when you get back home, re-read the book. You'll find answers to questions that came to light during your hunt.

While you're at the Minelab site, it would also be a good idea to go to the "TREASURE TALK" blog area and find Randy's four part blog article on "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me?"

Beyond that, a good e-mail address and I can make a few more suggestions.

HH!

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you buy the 705 Gold pack with the 5"x10" DD coil or the 705 standard with the 9" concentric? Same 705 but 2 coils with very different characteristics.Need some more info but for now, read the owner's manual and as Longhair suggested, download the e-book by Randy "Digger" Horton and read it, read it again, then take the 705 out for a test drive. I have the Xterra 70 and still learning it. The e-book really picks up where the owner's manual leaves off and gives you an in depth look at what the Xterra is all about.You will see just from the e-book that the 705 is a powerful and versatile MD. Change the coil , change the frequency and hunt everything! HH

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tweak the 4 programs on the 705 and customize them anyway you want, AND the detector saves your settings until you change them! When I am relic hunting in a non trashy area, I go with all metal or program 3. Program 3 allows more relics to come through than that of program 4.
I use 4 when there are a lot of nails and when I am getting ticked off for digging another piece of junk! LOL I use the automatic ground balance, set my sensitivity to 22 and set it to 4 tones when I first got it, this year I am setting it to 99 to begin learning the differences. I read the manual over and over and I just don't comprehend much anymore, I watched the videos they mentioned above at least 5 times each and will probably watch them all again after not hunting for a month or two.

Best way to learn it is to just do it, dig every tone on all metal for awhile, get use to what is what, then start tweaking it to your liking. You can reset any program you tweak and you can reset to factory settings anytime you want so you can't hurt nothing by playing with it.

I hope this helps, Happy Hunting!
Cindy

OP
OP
muleman

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
Did you buy the 705 Gold pack with the 5"x10" DD coil or the 705 standard with the 9" concentric? Same 705 but 2 coils with very different characteristics.Need some more info but for now, read the owner's manual and as Longhair suggested, download the e-book by Randy "Digger" Horton and read it, read it again, then take the 705 out for a test drive. I have the Xterra 70 and still learning it. The e-book really picks up where the owner's manual leaves off and gives you an in depth look at what the Xterra is all about.You will see just from the e-book that the 705 is a powerful and versatile MD. Change the coil , change the frequency and hunt everything! HH

It's the standard coil .. I haven't received the gold coil yet Not sure which one I want

OP
OP
muleman

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
E-mail sent. Twice. Returned as not deliverable.

So......
The absolute best place to start with the Xterra is to go to the MInelab website and sign up. It's free and obligates you to nothing. Then go to the "MEMBERS" area and download Randy Horton's free E-book "Understanding Your Xterra". Read it twice. It's an easy read and packs a whole lot of useful information into an understandable format. After reading it, go play with your machine. And when you get back home, re-read the book. You'll find answers to questions that came to light during your hunt.

While you're at the Minelab site, it would also be a good idea to go to the "TREASURE TALK" blog area and find Randy's four part blog article on "Which Xterra Coil Is Best For Me?"

Beyond that, a good e-mail address and I can make a few more suggestions.

HH!

I signed up for that but it never sends me the confirmation email To activate it

OP
OP
muleman

muleman

Feb 19, 2013

Ok thank you

envguy

May 13, 2009
southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
set it on the 99 tones and dig everything until you learn what items sound like especially when you cross them from both directions (N to S over and then E to W over the target). Listen for the drop off of the signal (how crisp and clear) as well as how it locks onto the item. And one more time dig everything until you can understand what your detector is telling you.

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I signed up for that but it never sends me the confirmation email To activate it

I had this happen to me as well.... found the email in my junk folder.
Good Luck. I too have just purchased the X-terra 705. I've not had an opportunity to get out with it yet, but planning on it soon.

~C~

OP
OP
muleman

muleman

Feb 19, 2013
I've been kicking butt with it In the past four days that I've had it I have probably found six dollars worth of coins Nickels quarters pennies and dimes Car keys Boy Scout Tie wrap ? A watch . Hand saw Medallion . And I don't know what else .. I found this stuff today in like1hr

Attachments

• image-255174959.jpg
    image-255174959.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 131
  • image-775506801.jpg
    image-775506801.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 112

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been kicking butt with it In the past four days that I've had it I have probably found six dollars worth of coins Nickels quarters pennies and dimes Car keys Boy Scout Tie wrap ? A watch . Hand saw Medallion . And I don't know what else .. I found this stuff today in like1hr

AWESOME finds! Glad Longhair, Sandman and the guys got you going. OUTSTANDING machine huh??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread