gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CTX 3030 won't work correctly near Towers

I was hunting today and my machine was erratic, signals constantly from the minute it turned on, it was impossible to hunt.

I thought there was something wrong with it, and I called minelab support from the field. I did a factory reset and they told me to send it in.

However, when I got home it works perfectly. I figured it must be because I am hunting within 800 yards of some cell towers.

I tried Auto Noise cancel when I was out there but it didn't do anything.

Is this just going to be a spot that I'll never be able to hunt with my CTX? ???

OP
OP
gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
correction radio masts and towers, not cell towers.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI effects my F75 the same way. I have a option to change the operating frequency and you may too. I have been high tension lines can do damage to my unit. What I did was turn the sensitivity way down and changed the frequency. Hope this helps.

Dflint

Tenderfoot
Jul 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try to use a custom channel and see if you can choose one that would mess with it to bad

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may not have anything to do with RF getting into the unit. At 800 yards, the RF density should be miniscule.

I wonder, is this site one where there have been radio towers for years? Or are there other towers/transmitting antennas around?

If so, you may be finding the remnants of ground radials. usually these are 2 to 3 inch wide copper strips that, depending on frequency, can go 600 feet in all directions from the tower. And there can be many hundreds of them. They are typically less than 10 inches under the surface.

If you are in an area like this, I would think it would be best to just roll up for the day.

ground-65G-rod.jpg

WM

OP
OP
gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may not have anything to do with RF getting into the unit. At 800 yards, the RF density should be miniscule.

I wonder, is this site one where there have been radio towers for years? Or are there other towers/transmitting antennas around?

If so, you may be finding the remnants of ground radials. usually these are 2 to 3 inch wide copper strips that, depending on frequency, can go 600 feet in all directions from the tower. And there can be many hundreds of them. They are typically less than 10 inches under the surface.

If you are in an area like this, I would think it would be best to just roll up for the day.

View attachment 762335

WM

No ground radials there, I was getting readings in the air and not just on the ground. Constant readings, the machine works good now that I got home though.

OP
OP
gsxraddict

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could the railroad have cause it?

Top Member Reactions