Original Minelab Excalibur

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this will fix it, but clean out the coil cover.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell from your post. For people who aren't used to using an Excal, it can seem like it's broken when it's working perfectly. It uses a pitch-hold tone. go over a coin, it rings high and the tone stays high. go over iron it nulls or growls and the tone stays low. It always has a threshold tone of the last target it went over.

OP
OP
C

coon8448

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at buying it from a guy and this is how he described it.

This is an old "red headphone" Minelab Excalibur. In PINPOINT mode it works and since I use this in the surf, it's always in PINPOINT (all-metal) mode. I've tried it in the DISCRIMINATE mode at the beach and it seems to work but the THRESHOLD tone is constantly wavering and "growling". It was this way when I bought it used and I've used it for several years this way but it's not really working properly. The previous owner sold it to me as broken and so I'm selling it as BROKEN, FOR PARTS, NOT WORKING - AS-IS, NO-RETURN! I don't know if Minelab will even work on an Excal this old.
It has a 10in Tornado coil which has been coated with what looks like Marine-Tex epoxy. The battery was nearly new when I got it and it still holds a charge so it may have some life left in it. Comes with the Minelab charger and the shaft as shown in the pictures. I work it in water up to waist deep and it has never leaked. I looked at the O-rings about a year ago and they seems fine. I want to be very clear that it is not working properly and I am selling it AS-IS with NO RETURN.

I think it my be the stuff that he has put over the coil but I have never used a Minelab. Thanks for the ideas so far.

slhinkle

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2007
I can tell you that minelab no longer works on those old ones. I bought one at a garage sale and charged the battery and it didnt work. It depends on how much he wants whether you take a chance on it. I would turn down the sensitivity and and the threshold to where you cant hear it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you that minelab no longer works on those old ones. I bought one at a garage sale and charged the battery and it didnt work. It depends on how much he wants whether you take a chance on it. I would turn down the sensitivity and and the threshold to where you cant hear it.

Minelab will work on them, it is a case by case situation, if they have the parts in stock for that model they will fix the issue....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread