Need a new coil for my Explorer SE - Any recommendations?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to buy a replacement coil for my Explorer SE. Which is the better coil - the Explorer Pro 11” DD factory coil from Minelab or the 12” X 10” SEF butterfly coil by EXcelerator? I wonder if I can continue to get coil covers for the 11” DD from Minelab? I couldn’t get a new coil cover for my current slimline coil, and it’s now splitting along the bottom inside edge. Thank you so much Minelab for discontinuing needed accessories! Depth and accuracy is my biggest concern. I've heard that the new DD factory coil will upgrade my machine to an SE Pro. I appreciate any replies.

Anthony15620

Greenie
Aug 20, 2012
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a pro coil last fall as an upgrade from the stock coil. It turned my explorer into a whole new machine. It truly blows the stock coil away...I highly recommend it.

I dont have any experience with the 12" SEF , but I just recently got 6x8 SEF and its pretty great too. Better trash separation than the pro and you don't lose much depth. I found a barber at 8" and the signal was clear as day. Its also lighter, but due to size you wont cover a lot of ground fast. The explorers are fine machines with either coil.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, the Slimline coil is about the worst coil for the Explorer.
Most anything is an upgrade, and the SEF is a good one, even better than the 11" Pro coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread