X-Terra 505 first impression

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I got the x-terra 505 today via ups. I took it to a spot where I found 2 old wheaties. I couldn't believe how stable the 505 ran. I was able to run sens at 17, regardless of noise channel. I didn't find much, nor did I expect to. It was more of a feeling out process. I did find a rivet from a pair of levis 6-7" deep. I was impressed finding something so small that deep. The area was infested with iron, constant low - tones. So I dropped a quarter on the ground. Amazing the iron disappeared! I only got a quarter signal and a solid 42 on vdi! The pinpoint is dead on, and it's nice you don't have to hold the button dowb to activate it. So far I am very impressed.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new machine!

Hunting in AM is good. Partly to get used to the tones, but also because it teaches you what proper swing speed is.

In iron infested places, rather than having your ears pounded like a drum, notch out -9 and +48 only. That will take care of a good portion of junk, as well as wrap around false high tones. The trick then is to swing slow enough. Not that the Xterra is a slow machine, but for places where trash density is high a slow swing will separate targets better and allow the machine to be more accurate and miss little.

GL&HH!

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok atomicscott are you still happy with the 505 after a few more months, I have narrowed down to 2 detectors for my upgrade and the 505 is one of them so I'm very curious.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I got the x-terra 505 today via ups. I took it to a spot where I found 2 old wheaties. I couldn't believe how stable the 505 ran. I was able to run sens at 17, regardless of noise channel. I didn't find much, nor did I expect to. It was more of a feeling out process. I did find a rivet from a pair of levis 6-7" deep. I was impressed finding something so small that deep. The area was infested with iron, constant low - tones. So I dropped a quarter on the ground. Amazing the iron disappeared! I only got a quarter signal and a solid 42 on vdi! The pinpoint is dead on, and it's nice you don't have to hold the button dowb to activate it. So far I am very impressed.

Glad you like it! The Minelab X-TERRA 505 is a very underrated machine for the $.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok atomicscott are you still happy with the 505 after a few more months, I have narrowed down to 2 detectors for my upgrade and the 505 is one of them so I'm very curious.

I still love the 505! I feel it can do whatever I need it to. The ability to change frequencies with a coil change is simply amazing for a detector under $600. I dont think there is anything better for the price. Minelabs seem to be in a class by themselves compared to other brands I've had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread