Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does my machine need a tinfoil hat??
Naahh! Just get an Xterra for sites like that. Seriously.

The only other things to try are:
A smaller coil
RECOVERY set to FAST and/or Reduce Sensitivity(<-one increment at a time)
And go at a snail's pace. I do mean slower than slow.

I have found sites that are nearly un-huntable with my Explorer, but my 705 has no trouble at all. They compliment each other so well that I can't part with either one, mostly because of situations like the one you described.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any targets discriminated out, you will null over, so there will be no threshold...

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running a 28 on iron mask. I was thinking of taking my soverign xs and trying that. My buddy is hunting with a fisher and he is having the same issue. I don't know what model it is but it is a higher end one.

I could try my Tesoro sidewinder but that is a silent search machine so that might not be good.

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First hunt I was using a 12x15 SEF coil. This last hunt I used the stock pro coil and the problem was not at pronounced. I think that the smaller coil was an advantage all around. I got 3 mercs and a barber quarter. The areas with the most interference still have some good targets and they are difficult to recognize. One of the mercs were only repeating once every 2 or 3 sweeps. I like these areas cause they cause fits for everyone not willing to go slow.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try two tone ferrous, wide open screen, fast on.. I like long tones... Dig all high tones.,,

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try two tone ferrous, wide open screen, fast on.. I like long tones... Dig all high tones.,,

When I am hunting with iron mask a great deal of the good targets are hitting low on the ferrous scale while only occasionally skipping into the coin range. I have been relying on the conductivity scale mostly.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not an E-Trac. It doesn't have TTF.
It has Ferrous and Conductive sound options, but all they do is invert the tones. In Conductive the high value signals are high tones, and in Ferrous high value signals are low tones.

When I am hunting with iron mask a great deal of the good targets are hitting low on the ferrous scale while only occasionally skipping into the coin range. I have been relying on the conductivity scale mostly.
Ground moisture content plays a big role in how the Fe numbers run, so Co numbers are the ones to watch. :thumbsup:

I like hunting difficult sites too. Between the Explorer and the Xterra (with my collection of coils) there is no place on land that I can't find goodies if they're there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread