CTX 3030 OPINION SO FAR-THIRD TIME OUT AT POUNDED SPOTS

Greenie
Oct 15, 2010
My buddies and I run Etracs. Great machines. But, they constantly beat me in finds. When the machines are the same the user makes the difference. I am just not as patient as they are. I somehow had to even the playing field. The CTX 3030 gnawed at me all last winter. I read everything I could. It seemed there were as many people praising it as ripping it. Anyway, I picked one up. I was really hoping that it what not a blinged out ETRAC and would perform better than I had hoped.
My buddies and I constantly look for new places to go but always fall back on our old standbys. We have absolutely punished some of these places. Well, on the first hunt we put in some time on a picnic ground that we have plundered in the past. I managed to squeeze out a silver 50s Rosie dime. The next adventure was at a one room school house empty lot in the country. This was a new spot. My buddy found a couple mercs and wheaties and called me over to share the ground. I started over in a spot he had just finished. Out popped a 20s Merc and then 3 feet over a silver Rosie. This morning I went over to my parents old farm house. This spot has been pounded by us for years. There should be nothing left to find. Especially in the front yard where most of the goodies were found on previous hunts. IT can't be much bigger then 30'x30'. It took me 15 minutes to find two Indians. One was an 1896 and the other looked like it was flattened by a train, it had no date though. I had bought a new garrett pinpointer and was trying to figure out the best way to use it. I had been accustom to using a SunRay target probe. So, I wasn't sure how to use the Garrett. In the holes with the Indians I was surprised to see all the iron the Garrett was finding. The one hole had a 1" in diameter rusty bolt head sitting by the Indian. I am thoroughly impressed with the ability of the 3030 to work through the iron patch and uncover the hard to get iron masked coins. I will try to post back in a few weeks with updates on my impressions when I get more hunts under my belt and learn to handle the machine better.
I have read a few opinions about using a smaller diameter coil on the 3030. Has anyone been running one with any success? What brand do you recommend. I had a White's XLT before the Etrac. It too was a good machine. I had a 6" coil with it, but really did not see any improvements in finds while using it.

Thanks,

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I too had a mxt then went to etrac. I'm not impressed. It's a ok machine. Pinpointing sucks on it. I have found tons of wheaties and nails but maybe it's my soil in western ky or something. I've opened the disc. Up and even dug every signal only to find falling and a deep empty hole. It's like the signal moves. I'm just not impressed at all.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R those etrac's really that bad I wanted to get one as a back up to my v3i & thats the main detector not one thing I cant change to a certain site

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat. I too had a mxt then went to etrac. I'm not impressed. It's a ok machine. Pinpointing sucks on it. I have found tons of wheaties and nails but maybe it's my soil in western ky or something. I've opened the disc. Up and even dug every signal only to find falling and a deep empty hole. It's like the signal moves. I'm just not impressed at all.

That's because you have ignored all the advice we gave you when you first got your E-Trac.

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
I didn't ignore any advice I took it respectively. I usually spend 2 hrs each morn. Detecting I work third shift and stop somewhere almost everyday. I used the stock coin program for 2 months. Then loaded Andy's on. Found more with Andy's. maybe it's the soil here I dunno. All said and done its an ok machine but not the masterpiece everyone says. I have an at pro that finds more than etrac. I've gotten what I think is silver and check w at pro to confirm there is indeed something in the hole at least bec. I'm tired of digging a big empty hole. That's the biggest prob. I get a good 12 48 say and dig and find nothing after 12 inches then it still shows its another 12 inches. I don't get it.

metal.mulisha

Aug 11, 2012
christo000 said:
R those etrac's really that bad I wanted to get one as a back up to my v3i & thats the main detector not one thing I cant change to a certain site

So how is the v3i compared to a MXT pro? I've been looking hard at them.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how is the v3i compared to a MXT pro? I've been looking hard at them.

Night & day well u use the pro right now imagine u can adjust everything, everything, thrn the 3 frequency working same time,color screen idk everyone has there opinión on What What works for them in the detecting they do this works for me & then some

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, the Etrac is a bells-n-whistles machine. Reminds me of my old DFX. I ended up going back to my Explorer II which has better stability and depth.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with the E-trac for two years. It's a great machine. Some people just can't get the hang of it. I was torn between upgrading to the CTX3030 or keeping a machine I all ready had and spending the extra $1000 to upgrade. Anyways I upgraded and I'm glad I did. The 3030 is a better machine all around. The target ID is spot on even if another target is in the whole. The target trace is a fantastic tool to separate trash from a good target. The best of all is the wireless module. I hated being tethered to my machine. I haven't tried the other coils for the 3030 yet, $400 for a six inch coil is a bit crazy.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with the E-trac for two years. It's a great machine. Some people just can't get the hang of it. I was torn between upgrading to the CTX3030 or keeping a machine I all ready had and spending the extra $1000 to upgrade. Anyways I upgraded and I'm glad I did. The 3030 is a better machine all around. The target ID is spot on even if another target is in the whole. The target trace is a fantastic tool to separate trash from a good target. The best of all is the wireless module. I hated being tethered to my machine. I haven't tried the other coils for the 3030 yet, $400 for a six inch coil is a bit crazy.
You paid over $2,000 for a detector and your worried about $400 for a coil? :dontknow:

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only cost me an E-trac the rest was a Christmas present. Thanks Santa! Just because I have an expensive detector doesn't mean I'm made of money.
Anyways the guy at the shop will give me a good deal on the coil. Now I just need to get some OT at work to pay for it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only cost me an E-trac the rest was a Christmas present. Thanks Santa! Just because I have an expensive detector doesn't mean I'm made of money.
Anyways the guy at the shop will give me a good deal on the coil. Now I just need to get some OT at work to pay for it.
I didn't think about getting one as a gift...thanks for setting me straight and good luck on getting that new coil.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If the singnal seems to move that is classic iron falsing. Leave those targets alone. Experience and a slow swing speed work wonders.

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There is no way you should be paying 400 for a six inch coil... I believe it retails at 299...

paul7194

Jul 23, 2010
I wish I could say the CTX 3030 found things my explorers and etrac left behind. It just didn't happen in the several sites I hunt. :dontknow: I went back to my etrac and v3i

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no way you should be paying 400 for a six inch coil... I believe it retails at 299...
It retails for $390 and is selling for around $299. $300 for a six inch coil is still expensive. I'll get one anyways. But first my car needs some money.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It retails for $390 and is selling for around $299. $300 for a six inch coil is still expensive. I'll get one anyways. But first my car needs some money.

R u goin stock ctx coil or an aftermarket the sef's Man i swear by them & another thing id u think $300 or $390 is alot for a coil check on the coil prices for the deus xp

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a six inch coil, stock coil cover with Shipping for 299 total... Deals are out there...

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
R u goin stock ctx coil or an aftermarket the sef's Man i swear by them & another thing id u think $300 or $390 is alot for a coil check on the coil prices for the deus xp

There are no aftermarket for the ctx.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread