Excalibur threshold "stop" knob is broken

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
When I turned on my excalibur yesterday I noticed that I could turn the knob completely around, there was no more resistance near the "off" area.

this resulted in excalibur being very chaotic, there is loss of depth and it makes strange sounds.

today I sent it for repairs to minelab Ireland.

questions are: can they easily repair it without replacing the entire control panel ? and how much should I expect to pay for it given that warranty expired a long time ago ? + how long does it generally take for Minelab Ireland to repair broken detectors ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not just the crappy knob that broke, it's probably the pot. Check with OBN here, I think he replaces them.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks!

imagine the entire pot is broken, how expensive would it be to replace it ?

gr

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not just the crappy knob that broke, it's probably the pot. Check with OBN here, I think he replaces them.

Sounds like the pod is broke...Not an expensive fix but no idea of the cost in Ireland...you do not need to replace motherboard only the pod.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very common with all excaliburs specially the ones people have changed out the knobs to the larger. Minelabs in the USA charge 105.oo plus shipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
thanks!

it did break after I changed the factory knobs for bigger one's. wtf was I thinking!!! the reason why I did it was that I lost 3 yellow upper knobs ..

AngerManagement

Aug 30, 2014
Brisbane
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCALIBUR II or 1000 WITH FALULTY THRESHOLD switch

A simple fix, if your out of warranty.

No need to replace the switch (hard to obtain and the after market ones needs a mod), all you need is to re set the pot/switch. I went to the trouble of getting a couple of switches and machining up the shaft adapter and = Not needed...

Once you get the Excal apart and can get to the Threshold switch; it is about 45 sec to reset. Another 45 sec if you wish to fool proof it.

Apr 14, 2010
Anger Management...Would you mind explaining in a little more detail of how to reset the Pot switch? I'm having the same issue with a recently acquired Excalibur II. The threshold knob turns clockwise and counter clockwise without hitting any stops and the detector will not turn on...also how does one "fool proof" it?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks!

it did break after I changed the factory knobs for bigger one's. wtf was I thinking!!! the reason why I did it was that I lost 3 yellow upper knobs ..

I have had large knobs on my excals for 6 years....I make sure I do not try to turn past stop...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Rob071

Greenie
Oct 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AngerManagement do you know where a parts list is or to buy parts for the excals in oz?
My headphone cord has cracked.....
Need orings and end cap covers?

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The following is the response I received yesterday from AngerManagement:

Quote Originally Posted by penzfan
AM, Care to share your quick fix for Excal knobs? Thanks
Disclamer...

I found out it only works if some one has not wound the pot all the way back or around...

If you have just backed it off and it goes back a little... Past the stop.

Then if you strip it down and get access to the backside then you can make a small mod to reset the stop.

But if you have turned the switch around a few times this does not work so well.

I have fixed one and had to replace the switch on two others... As well abused by the time I got to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread