Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My six month old GT quite working and had to send it in for warranty work.

Minelab covered shipping which was ground and took 5 or 6 days to get there. They've had the machine 10 business days (or 15 days total), and when I call they say a service tech needs to look at it and will call me... still waiting for that call. When I first sent it in I was assured by a tech that it would take no longer than 7 to 10 business days to process and return... at this rate, with return shipping, it may be 4 to 6 weeks total before I get the machine back.

Can't believe I spent over $1000 on a machine from a company that fails in customer service. Maybe the service department needs a few more techs to ease the workload.

If anyone ask me I would not recommend Minelab in the future.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My six month old GT quite working and had to send it in for warranty work.

Minelab covered shipping which was ground and took 5 or 6 days to get there. They've had the machine 10 business days (or 15 days total), and when I call they say a service tech needs to look at it and will call me... still waiting for that call. When I first sent it in I was assured by a tech that it would take no longer than 7 to 10 business days to process and return... at this rate, with return shipping, it may be 4 to 6 weeks total before I get the machine back.

Can't believe I spent over $1000 on a machine from a company that fails in customer service. Maybe the service department needs a few more techs to ease the workload.

If anyone ask me I would not recommend Minelab in the future.

7-10 business days is just an estimate.....

Sometime less sometime more. They only have the one working repair center in US. They are working on setting up a 2nd one but I can't say any more about it at this time..

What part of country you in?

Back in late May you said you had problem with volume, but never posted again after saying the sand under coil cover was the problem.
Always best to check here before sending in to repair as many issues can be resolved by members..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I bought a CZ21 instead of an Excal. I heard too many stories about Excals being at the shop for weeks. They also seem to break down more than the CZ21. Having confidence in my machine is important to me. I don't even think about my CZ breaking down and if it does, I know I will get it back quick. I believe the Excal may even be a better detector than the 21 but I would have to have two of them to keep from worrying about break downs.

OP
OP
khune

khune

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in California... There was sand under the coil cover and I cleaned and tested the machine and no avail. The volume issue was with the headphones and was never really an issue. I spoke with the guys in technical support to open the ticket and they couldn't tell if it was the unit or the coil so I packed and sent it all in per their request.

I have a whole mason jar of coins and other items I've found, some silver, a few ring, etc... when the machine worked it worked great. I just wish it wasn't broken during prime beach time here in SoCal.

At least a phone call once in a while to let me know they still have it in queue or an estimate to when it will be looked at would be great...

7-10 business days is just an estimate.....

Sometime less sometime more. They only have the one working repair center in US. They are working on setting up a 2nd one but I can't say any more about it at this time..

What part of country you in?

Back in late May you said you had problem with volume, but never posted again after saying the sand under coil cover was the problem.
Always best to check here before sending in to repair as many issues can be resolved by members..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in California... There was sand under the coil cover and I cleaned and tested the machine and no avail. The volume issue was with the headphones and was never really an issue. I spoke with the guys in technical support to open the ticket and they couldn't tell if it was the unit or the coil so I packed and sent it all in per their request.

I have a whole mason jar of coins and other items I've found, some silver, a few ring, etc... when the machine worked it worked great. I just wish it wasn't broken during prime beach time here in SoCal.

At least a phone call once in a while to let me know they still have it in queue or an estimate to when it will be looked at would be great...

Sov GT is the best wet salt sand detector made, I have had mind for 5 years.... When you get a chance pick up a wot or 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil for it....:icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right about the Sov GT being the best wet salt sand detector made. I wouldn't get rid of mine for anything and I am not near saltwater anymore. Hope to go back soon though. The WOT coil is one of the best accessory coils you can get for covering more area per sweep and get great depth too. For land hunting the addition of a Sunray inline probe is like a mini coil with a range of six inches on my GT. Probes aren't needed at the beach cause you have a scoop.
NRA3.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have some good news for you later today. I will let you know...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a GT hope there are no issues anytime soon. Have the old trusty Sand Shark for backup. I love the multitones of GT but haven't been to beach yet!

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a glitch in my Safari and sent it in under warranty. I was told a tech would call me but that did not happen but I received it back in fine shape 12 days after they received it. NO PROBLEM !!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turn around in the summer use to be 21-28 business days so it has greatly Improved.

Minelab is opening a 2nd repair center, I will post info on it later today...

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The turn around in the summer use to be 21-28 business days so it has greatly Improved.

Minelab is opening a 2nd repair center, I will post info on it later today...

Good to know treasure hunter!

OP
OP
khune

khune

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dug for 6 hours in the East Fork today and I can barley walk... who knew that moving large rocks, digging, shoveling gravel and sand into a bucket and classifying it was such a workout.... We have a bucket of concentrate sitting on the porch that we are to tired to run.

but I would love some good news!! :notworthy:

I may have some good news for you later today. I will let you know...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dug for 6 hours in the East Fork today and I can barley walk... who knew that moving large rocks, digging, shoveling gravel and sand into a bucket and classifying it was such a workout.... We have a bucket of concentrate sitting on the porch that we are to tired to run.

but I would love some good news!! :notworthy:

Sorry still waiting to hear..

OP
OP
khune

khune

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Tesoro Bandit
White's 6000D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called in today, unit is fixed but tech who fixed it is out of the office today..... One of the other tech's is going to final check and sign off on the repair and ship it today (or first thing Monday).

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gee, I sold my DFX to buy an Excalibur 2 which i used for the first time yesterday. I was not out too long because of a bad storm, but going out soon again. I hope I do not have any problems like I have read many here are. It cost too much money to start having trouble with. I will baby my Machine and clean it well and take care of it very carefully to avoid any problems. Just like a good women, you keep her smiling and she will keep you smiling. LOL.
I have read the user manual twice and practiced with the unit, I have allot to learn but I will give it a good try. I will be back on this forum in a few weeks to let you all know how I made out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread