XTerra 505 finds my oldest coin yet!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing some testing and realized how slow I need to swing the Xterra 505 to hit those higher tone targets in between the gnarly trash that always seems to be in the old home sites I like to hunt. So today I decided to go back over a site I've hit before but dig by the tones more and slow it way down. I put 4 flags in the corner of a 30x30 ft square and meticulously gridded the section. I dug every signal above 24 that had a repeatable tone. at about 5" deep, I got a solid dime signal. I though it was a shotgun shell at first but then realized it was an Oklahoma old age assistance tax token. A few feet away from the token, I got another high tone signal that screamed 'dig me'. At about 6" deep I saw the coin and noticed it had a square. I was stoked as it was my first Chinese coin! I did some research and found it is from the Qing dynasty and dates from 1875-1908. Strange, my oldest coin so far happens to be a Chinese coin! I think its cool to imagine someone in China was holding that coin over 100 years ago, and it ended up here in SoCal! I'm loving this Xterra, it really is a sweet machine, especially once you slow it down!

Attachments

• Qing 1.jpg
    Qing 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Qing2.jpg
    Qing2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 98
  • tax token.jpg
    tax token.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 98
  • tax token2.jpg
    tax token2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 100

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the great finds, and reinforcing one of the most basic rules of successful metal detecting – S-L-O-W D-O-W-N!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find with that coin. Your doing it right. :icon_thumleft:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! Congrats!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice,congrats on your oldest coin, I hope you find many more and even older!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing some testing and realized how slow I need to swing the Xterra 505 to hit those higher tone targets in between the gnarly trash that always seems to be in the old home sites I like to hunt. So today I decided to go back over a site I've hit before but dig by the tones more and slow it way down. I put 4 flags in the corner of a 30x30 ft square and meticulously gridded the section. I dug every signal above 24 that had a repeatable tone. at about 5" deep, I got a solid dime signal. I though it was a shotgun shell at first but then realized it was an Oklahoma old age assistance tax token. A few feet away from the token, I got another high tone signal that screamed 'dig me'. At about 6" deep I saw the coin and noticed it had a square. I was stoked as it was my first Chinese coin! I did some research and found it is from the Qing dynasty and dates from 1875-1908. Strange, my oldest coin so far happens to be a Chinese coin! I think its cool to imagine someone in China was holding that coin over 100 years ago, and it ended up here in SoCal! I'm loving this Xterra, it really is a sweet machine, especially once you slow it down!

Very cool.finds

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much! I'm heading back over there when I get a chance. I think the flags marking the square worked well, it's the first time I've tried it. I spent nearly 2 hours in that 30x30 ft square! I was trying to be as careful as possible and dig any repeatable tones (24 and above), cause there is so much trash in the area. Next time, I'm making another square right next to the one I did last time and try to be as precise as possible about my hunting. I'm always learning, if not that means I know everything! I know that's not the case!:laughing7:

Last edited:

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds atomicscott! Your doing the same thing that works for me, slow down and listen to the tone. We use different brands, but the concept is universal.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds atomicscott! Your doing the same thing that works for me, slow down and listen to the tone. We use different brands, but the concept is universal.

Thanks! This area has soooo much trash that there is almost always a song playing with the 19 tones. I really have to slow it down to discern the higher tones in all of the 'music' that's being played, lol!

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You herd my whites over there it was trying to play name that tune lol

Haha! Good times detecting with you on Saturday! Sorry no good finds. I know theres more goodies after the plowing, but Im getting tired of the dust clouds over there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions