cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of like asking what the best coin detector is. It depends on lots of factors. Where the coins are, how deep they are. How junky the area, etc.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of like asking what the best coin detector is. It depends on lots of factors. Where the coins are, how deep they are. How junky the area, etc.
Only to a point. The reason that I suggest a 7.5kHz (MF) coil is because of the three frequencies that he can hunt in, the MF coils will be the most honest w/o missing gold & nickel.
I say the most honest because of the three freq's available, the MF target bin segments widths are the most uniform. The HF coils have narrower bins at the high end of the scale, and wider ones at the lower end. The inverse is true of the LF coils.

The 5x10" HF coil that he has is depth limited due to it's width, and has hindered separation ability due to toe-to-heel length. It also doesn't hit copper or silver as hard as a lower frequency would, and will be more likely to experience false high tones due to wrap around from iron. The LF coils are great on copper,silver, and brass, but produce unpredictable results on nickel and other low conductors, and is not a good choice if his soil conditions are hot.

I highly recommend a MF coil. If trash density is high, the 6" CC. If minerals are an issue, then the 10.5" DD. And for max depth in light trash and ground that's not scorching, the 15" DD. Personally, I think that all Xterra owners should have the 10.5" MF DD.....at least until we get a smaller round DD in that frequency.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only to a point. The reason that I suggest a 7.5kHz (MF) coil is because of the three frequencies that he can hunt in, the MF coils will be the most honest w/o missing gold & nickel.
I say the most honest because of the three freq's available, the MF target bin segments widths are the most uniform. The HF coils have narrower bins at the high end of the scale, and wider ones at the lower end. The inverse is true of the LF coils.

The 5x10" HF coil that he has is depth limited due to it's width, and has hindered separation ability due to toe-to-heel length. It also doesn't hit copper or silver as hard as a lower frequency would, and will be more likely to experience false high tones due to wrap around from iron. The LF coils are great on copper,silver, and brass, but produce unpredictable results on nickel and other low conductors, and is not a good choice if his soil conditions are hot.

I highly recommend a MF coil. If trash density is high, the 6" CC. If minerals are an issue, then the 10.5" DD. And for max depth in light trash and ground that's not scorching, the 15" DD. Personally, I think that all Xterra owners should have the 10.5" MF DD.....at least until we get a smaller round DD in that frequency.

GREAT post! Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread