Benefits of Ground Balance Offset

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an explaination straight from Randy Horton.

"A feature unique to the 705 is Tracking Ground Balance Offset. In simple terms, this allows the user to run in Tracking and at the same time, maintain a Ground Balance setting that varies from the one “recommended” by the electronics of the X-TERRA.
On the 705, you can adjust this offset to be anywhere from +1 to +15 or from -1 to -15. There has been some discussion as to whether lowering the ground phase number makes the GB of the X-TERRA more positive or more negative. I think the use of the word “Offset” is what makes this confusing. Setting a + number into the Tracking GB Offset will provide a more negative ground phase than the number the detector has chosen as “neutral”. For example, if you are hunting an area in Tracking, and let’s say the X-TERRA has determined at a given time the proper GB setting is 35. That means the 705 software is going to set its ground phase at 35 in an effort to best neutralize the effects of that soil. If you had programmed your 705 with Tracking Ground Balance Offset of +5, your X-TERRA will actually indicate a 40 on the display. In this situation, the 40 that you see on the screen is the sum of what the X-TERRA software has determined to be required (remember it was 35 in this example), plus the +5 Offset that you programmed into it. By setting a +5 in your program, you have told the 705 that you want to run a negative Offset of 5, in combination with what it determines to be the proper setting.
On the other hand, if you want to run a positive Offset, you’ll need to enter a negative number. For example, if you want to track with a positive Offset of three, you would need to enter a -3 into the procedure. If, as in the situation above, the 705 determines that the perfect setting would be 35, your positive GB offset of -3 would actually make the display indicate a 32. Personally, in most of the sites I hunt, I like to run my X-TERRA with a slight positive Ground Balance (ground phase setting)."

I hope this helps you to understand how it works.

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm missing something in Randy's article, or just being thick headed, but I don't understand why you would want to run with an offset. What would I gain from it?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on speciffic conditions,you could gain depth, or you could sharpen the ID.
In mild conditions, there is little to gain.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe I'm missing something in Randy's article, or just being thick headed, but I don't understand why you would want to run with an offset. What would I gain from it?
If you're running a little positive, a lower target signal will still sound off. Whites has their GMT set up this way when you run in Autotrack. Many gold prospectors, when running in manual ground balance, like to setup just a little positive for that reason.
Jim

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, that's making sense! I may have to give that a try and see if it helps me. I'm stilll trying to find my first silver coin. Thanks guys!

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
So I am still trying to understand this. I too take a bit to understand.

1. what is considered mild conditions my soil GB at 20-35
2. when I offset -3 its really a +3 on GB then when I offset +3 its really a -3 GB?

I am still confused lol

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. what is considered mild conditions my soil GB at 20-35
2. when I offset -3 its really a +3 on GB then when I offset +3 its really a -3 GB?
1. A Ground Phase setting of 30-35 is fair. At 20-30 it's warm, 10-20 really warm, and beow 10 is HOT!
2. When you Offset -3, what you have done is to subtract 3 from whatever the machine has determined to be neutral. If the machine has decided on a Ground Phase of 30, and you've offset it -3, the machine will then run (and display) 27, which would be essencially telling the machine that your ground is hotter than reality.

It's easy to be confused talking about positive and negative, because with the Xterra Ground Phase munbers are higher the milder your ground is, which is opposite of other detectors. It's much easier to understand if you think more in terms of whether you are making the machine belive your ground is hotter or milder than it is.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would depend entirely on the specific nature of your ground's mineral content.

Experiment!
Minelab has provided you with an extremely versitile and capable machine with tons of user adjustable options.
EXPLORE THEM!
Nobody anywhere else in the world can tell you what will work best in your conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread