cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Excalibur for that so I don't have to worry about how deep I am.

The more they update the plumbing, the easier it is to clog up.

wildherre

Greenie
Mar 29, 2009
NW Induana
Detector(s) used
Omega, V3i, Explorer, Etrac, CTX
At home, the would work fine when it comes to cleaning everything up. My concern was swapping batteries out in the field where you can't do that. Anyone who's owned and used an Excalibur knows what I mean. That grease really attracts the sand, and if you drop the battery in it, you're forever trying to get it clean enough to use.
Battery life on the CTX is 12-13 hrs...I dont think to many people would ever need to make a battery change in the field.. wildherre

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery life on the CTX is 12-13 hrs...I dont think to many people would ever need to make a battery change in the field.. wildherre
12 to 13 hours? That's not very long when Tesoro's can last a season. No wonder they can leak with that many battery door opening.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 to 13 hours? That's not very long when Tesoro's can last a season. No wonder they can leak with that many battery door opening.

The CTX uses a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery. They run significantly longer than the older NIMH pack.

Wayne

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The CTX 3030 also recharge in 4-5 hours. I quick charge with the included car charger while you run to get a snow cone with your clad finds will give you several more hours hunting! ;)

GKman

Mar 15, 2011
Dutchess County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaned and replaced?? Does minelab provide any recommendations as to how often? Do they expect me to pop a new gasket in after every few hunts at $20 a pop? And the more I handle this thin gasket the more I increase it's chances of failing. Having minelab telling us to handle the gasket sounds almost as if designed to fail is written all over it.

You have probably seen this before, but in case you haven't

CTX 3030 BATTERY SEALING – CARE AND MAINTENANCE
http://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices?article=109061

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have almost 2 years using the CTX-3030. Over 2 dozen trips to the ocean. I have never had a problem. One thing I do is hose my detector down with fresh water and dry, then remove the battery and check the compartment and the O-ring slot and O-ring. Keep a light coat of silicone on O-ring.

I do agree that it could have easily been designed better. All of the external Black anodized screws have corrosion, but still turn. They should have been a high grade stainless steel.

Ed D.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have almost 2 years using the CTX-3030. Over 2 dozen trips to the ocean. I have never had a problem. One thing I do is hose my detector down with fresh water and dry, then remove the battery and check the compartment and the O-ring slot and O-ring. Keep a light coat of silicone on O-ring.

I do agree that it could have easily been designed better. All of the external Black anodized screws have corrosion, but still turn. They should have been a high grade stainless steel.

Ed D.

I agree with the silicone O-ring lube although many will argue that ML does not recommend that in the 3030 manual. For me after many years of recreational scuba and working in the field of mechanical maintenance it's a given that any O-ring will hold up better when properly cleaned and lubricated.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well considering Tesoro doesn't have a TID readout and GPS I would hope the battery would last alot longer

upfishcreek

Greenie
Nov 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had mine in lots of water with no issues ( submerged fresh water ). However I do agree it could have been designed a touch better just for sanity's sake. A nice form fitting band that goes arounf the latches and seam would be good. I am sure someone could make one fairly easily, like a wide rubber band that fits around it properly. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention this. Would putting two gaskets in there solve the concern? I would think two would clamp it down tighter and all. It seems that if the gasket had a little more depth it would fit tighter and better. But although I was hesitant to even go in the water from the fear-mongering I read, someone told me just go ahead and do it. So I did, and I have had no problems. But I still have that little bit of anxiety. Like going to the dentist; I know it won't hurt but I always worry it might.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread