Minelab service is awful

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure is horrible. They should have fixed it that day and sent out the next, overnighting it would have been even better!.

That is Good Customer service. Especially since they messed up not me.

Considering they are an international company with such large profits and other competition, there is no excuse for this horrible service.

So you expect them to stop working on everyone else's detector to work on yours and over night it back to you....

I have had Minelabs for 6 years and sent mine in a couple times for repair work, longest wait was little over 21 business days during a summer breakdown when I dropped and cracked the coil. I had no complaints about their work or time it took to get it back......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fsdigital12

Jun 20, 2010
I expect a replacement at this point.... period. I like Minelab detectors and think the E-trac and CTX are two of the top machines in the market.

One of the main reasons for my whining is everyone on all these forums need to know what the to expect from Minelab. If enough of these "complaints" are voiced, maybe things will change. But defending their actions will not improve situations.

OP
OP
F

fsdigital12

Jun 20, 2010
Yes at this point. I do. They sent me a machine they stated was "fully operational" when returned to me a few weeks ago. I waited like everyone else the first time.

If they have other machines ahead of me in the same situation, then they need to hire new technicians.

So you expect them to stop working on everyone else's detector to work on yours and over night it back to you....

I have had Minelabs for 6 years and sent mine in a couple times for repair work, longest wait was little over 21 business days during a summer breakdown when I dropped and cracked the coil. I had no complaints about their work or time it took to get it back......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just my point. What you are calling crappy service is perfectly fine by most peoples' standards.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes at this point. I do. They sent me a machine they stated was "fully operational" when returned to me a few weeks ago. I waited like everyone else the first time.

If they have other machines ahead of me in the same situation, then they need to hire new technicians.

I work telcom, there are 7 of us covering a 150 mile radius, we need more employees but company want hire them, it is called profit margin....

OP
OP
F

fsdigital12

Jun 20, 2010
Sorry if I expect excellent customer service. All I wanted was 2 things

1. My machine turned around in 10-15 business days. as quoted.
2. My issue Fixed.

They did neither.

Perfectly Fine?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry if I expect excellent customer service. All I wanted was 2 things

1. My machine turned around in 10-15 business days. as quoted.
2. My issue Fixed.

They did neither.

Perfectly Fine?

To begin with the repair time is an estimate, it is not a guarantee...

They fixed your original problem, the USB port is a different issue.....When was the last time you used it before you sent it in.....?

When you take your car in to have the water pump fixed, they are not going to check your radio to be sure it is working properly either...

OP
OP
F

fsdigital12

Jun 20, 2010
Right but when I get my tires rotated, I don't expect the radio not to work when I get it back either....and for it to be fixed the same day if they did break it in the process.....

The USB worked 100% before I sent it. I transferred the programs to my other computer assuming they might have gotten erased, before I sent it

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I will say there seems to be alot or reoairs needed to minelab producrs5. I myslef had to have the upper shaft replaced after one week on my excal last month. This comoared ro mt v3i which Is 3 years ild with no problems However I will say they replaced it no questions asked wi 2 days. Havimg to wait a week or so for more invilced repairs is not excessive unless it brand new out of the box. In that case they should just swap it out for you. Good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab always did good by Me, But I understand the Impatience
when something happens at the wrong time & you have no "Comfortable" Backup.

in my opinion the big problem is Businesses quoting repair time in days.

15 days to a business means 3 Weeks
in their hands. not including the day they sign for it, then you have to add another week
(shipping weeks seem to =8 Days, 9 if there is a holliday) at least
to & from depending on shipping source.

15 days to most people, including myself means 2 weeks,
starting the day after it's shipped out :tongue3:
if I ship on a Friday, I X the first day out on my Calendar on Saturday

& when it's your favorite most trusted detector, days get longer :laughing7:

Maybe businesses need to start, Door to door Pickup & return services,
if they can't repair in my home while I wait nervously in the other room :occasion14:

anyway, Hopefully if you haven't gotten it back yet, it will be there this week.

& if you have been around Detectors awhile, you should realize Most Detector Manufacturers do go above & Beyond for their customers,
at least compared to most electronics companies.
I would never send a Microwave in for repair.

& P.S.
when you hear about an "other" manufacturer
Caring more about their customer, & the quick Turn-around,
or whatever..... Take it with a grain of salt & realize,
it was all in the timing.
I have dealt with these "other" manufacturers,
and turn-around service,
even being able tto contact them on the phone,
has never been 100% either.
I won't mention manufacturers because this is the Minelab forum but.
comments like "I sent mine in friday & _______ had it back at my door the next Friday, FREE of charge"
means the person hit the Lottery. 100 before & 100 after paid for it in Time & $$ :laughing7:

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Meh, I cannot comment of their repairs, but I do know, that I have called minelab everyday this week hoping to talk to somebody just to ask 3 questions about my explorer, was told each time that the techs were too busy to talk, thats fine I have patience, 3 times they took my phone number and told me that they would call me back, and not once has anybody called me back, I guess starting tomorrow I will call twice a day, if that does not work I will just cut my losses and drop the damn thing off at the salvation army and go back to my old fisher, which I managed to fix by myself.

Last edited:

Nimocone

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think once you get to a tech, it's all good. I have an issue with my CTX where the sound in the headphones cut out as the cord moves. I called and waited for so long that I decided to leave a message to be called back within 24hrs. 3 days later and no return call. When I called again I got a tech quickly. I started to explain my problem when he interrupted me and said not to worry, he would send me a new set in tomorrow's mail. I also told him that when I got the CTX it had no gasket to water-proof the battery area. I fully expected to pay for one and he said he'd ship me one at no charge as well. That part impressed me because for all he knew I could have been lying. I know it's a warranty issue, at least for the headphone, but I appreciated not being grilled about how I used the device.

OP
OP
F

fsdigital12

Jun 20, 2010
Well I'm supposed to be getting my machine back tomorrow.....apparently the part they took and replaced from inventory when the speaker was replaced ..the USB portion was bad...they "assumed" it was good when they installed it.

The tech said they now have added checking USB to the checklist of things to check.....

It's obvious they only have a few people in customer service and a few techs...if that. Hence the delays and poor communication....not their fault..understaffing is a result of greed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm supposed to be getting my machine back tomorrow.....apparently the part they took and replaced from inventory when the speaker was replaced ..the USB portion was bad...they "assumed" it was good when they installed it.

The tech said they now have added checking USB to the checklist of things to check.....

It's obvious they only have a few people in customer service and a few techs...if that. Hence the delays and poor communication....not their fault..understaffing is a result of greed.

Just like any public traded company they answer to a board of directors who answers to stock holders...

I work for company that is ranked in the top 2000 companies in the world for size and is also a Fortune 500 company. We are also understaffed as well..

Bottom line is you answer to your stock holders and your bankers that supply the capital you use for infrastructure, growth and technology. You want 10s to 100s of millions in loans at a low rate your profit line has to be good...

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
I own both mine lab and whites detectors. I like them both and use them often. That said I will say whites clearly builds a better product. The v3i I own is over 3 years old and never gave me an ounce of grief. The one issue I had was with the double D coil. It was one year out of warranty and whites shipped me out a new one free no questions asked. To boot I mentioned that I had dammaaged the rechargeable battery ( I did not charge it for over a year was using battery pack instead) they replaced that too free of charge. Dont get me wrong, my minelab excal 2 is a great water detector but wi one week of use the knobs and the shaft had to be replaced? ??. To minelabs credit they replaced both the shaft and knob wi 2 days time. But why after spending $ 1300 should I have such issues? From what im reading there seems to be like issues with quality control with the ctx too. How can a company demand such hugh prices, offer marginal quality control (they shipped all the manufacturing over to Asia for cheao labor) poor customer service. It seems the corporate pirate culture has taken hold. Whites is family owned. American made and puts the consumer before profits. The v3i has been incredible it a qualitybbuilt product and the company stands behind their customers. I hope Mimelab is listening. Just my 2 cents

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own both mine lab and whites detectors. I like them both and use them often. That said I will say whites clearly builds a better product. The v3i I own is over 3 years old and never gave me an ounce of grief. The one issue I had was with the double D coil. It was one year out of warranty and whites shipped me out a new one free no questions asked. To boot I mentioned that I had dammaaged the rechargeable battery ( I did not charge it for over a year was using battery pack instead) they replaced that too free of charge. Dont get me wrong, my minelab excal 2 is a great water detector but wi one week of use the knobs and the shaft had to be replaced? ??. To minelabs credit they replaced both the shaft and knob wi 2 days time. But why after spending $ 1300 should I have such issues? From what im reading there seems to be like issues with quality control with the ctx too. How can a company demand such hugh prices, offer marginal quality control (they shipped all the manufacturing over to Asia for cheao labor) poor customer service. It seems the corporate pirate culture has taken hold. Whites is family owned. American made and puts the consumer before profits. The v3i has been incredible it a qualitybbuilt product and the company stands behind their customers. I hope Mimelab is listening. Just my 2 cents

My experience with Whites was opposite. My New Beach hunter ID leaked 3 times with in first 6 months, I had to pay to ship it in all 3 times, they told me I wasn't seating it properly after putting battery in. WRONG.....

Their gasket was flawed. They eventually acknowledged this and replaced all gaskets on the BH IDs but by then I had already traded mine in on a new Minelab Sovereign GT and never looked back...

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Im very supprised. Your experience does not represent the norm. Just to be clear im not bashing ML. Im not a brand guy im am hiwever a very savy anf demanding consumer. In fact I just laid out iver 1300 bucks on the Excal because i do think its is a better warer machien than the BHID. Just offering constructuve criticism. These are my experiences and that of several of my friends all of whom own whites and minelab products. . Anyone who spends time keeping current with these issues will agree for the exorbitant costs of mine lab products their quality control and constumer service should be much better. Good luck with the ML sov. Its a great detector.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im very supprised. Your experience does not represent the norm. Just to be clear im not bashing ML. Im not a brand guy im am hiwever a very savy anf demanding consumer. In fact I just laid out iver 1300 bucks on the Excal because i do think its is a better warer machien than the BHID. Just offering constructuve criticism. These are my experiences and that of several of my friends all of whom own whites and minelab products. . Anyone who spends time keeping current with these issues will agree for the exorbitant costs of mine lab products their quality control and constumer service should be much better. Good luck with the ML sov. Its a great detector.

I'm not bashing Whites just staying my experience. I also owned the whites 6000XL Pro and loved it...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not bashing Whites just stating my experience. I also owned the whites 6000XL Pro and loved it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread