X-Terra coil question

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey... been debating purchasing another coil for my 705 for a while, but am torn between the choices... I live in the Greater Toronto Area (Canada), and I think our soil here is fairly mild. My game is coins... don't get me wrong here... love finding relics, buttons, and other goodies, but when I leave for a hunt my primary target is always old silver or copper coins. That said, I'm fairly sure I want a 3 kHz coil... but am torn between the 9" concentric LF or the 6" digger by Coiltek.

At my goto site, most of the older coins have been pulled from a decent depth... 6-9 inches usually. Soooo I guess my question is... how deep is the Digger? In ideal ground conditions, is it as deep as the 9" concentric? Can I hit 8" with it on a silver dime without running the sensitivity at max? Other than the question of depth, I suppose the one thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on the Digger is ground coverage... I don't want to have to spend 4 hours covering a 10ft x 10ft area :D

I've had good success with both concentric and DD coils in the past... so I'm not really leaning one way or the other yet I guess.

And for the love of all that is good... WHY OH WHY hasn't Minelab made a 10.5" LF DD coil yet?!?!? That would be my first choice for sure... and based on everything I've read, there is plenty of demand for it... they'd sell like hotcakes!

Thanks for any info anyone can provide... but am most curious to hear what the man, the myth, the legend Longhair has to say about it :)

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More myth than legend.

It really boils down to whether or not the trash density warrants the separation capability of a DD. If not, then the 9" CC is a great coil.
The Digger is a super coil, but expecting much more than 7-8" is a gamble even in mild ground.

As far as a 10.5" LF DD.....Ha! You have no idea what we had to go through just to get the 3kHz coils that we have. It's only been a year since our selection of LF coils numbered more than one. I really don't expect that Minelab will ever produce a 10.5" LF DD. If we are lucky, we might see another coil or two from Coiltek for the Xterra line, but another LF coil is way off, if it ever happens.

OP
OP
D

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you just convinced me to get the 9" CC... thanks :) Honestly, my best finds from this site have been made with my Tek Gamma 6000 with a 13" Detech DD... so I don't think the trash density is anything a 9" CC couldn't handle :)

Shame about their reluctance to produce a mid-size LF coil... surely it would turn a profit for them :(

Anyways, thanks for your input! I read through many many of your posts before deciding to buy a 705 :) Your wealth of knowledge on the machine is staggering!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your site can handle a 13", then why not look at the Coiltek 15" 3kHz All Terrain?

The only thing that I have that will look deeper than the 705 and the 15" LF DD is an 18" Detech loop on my Explorer. And in all honesty, the 15" LF works about the same on coins at depth due to the response to that frequency, coupled with it's being more focused and faster than a more analog machine deciphering returns from three frequencies.

Digital is where it's at, and the Xterra lead that charge. Smartcoil Technology is the way of the future, and the CTX3030 is proof.

OP
OP
D

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main reason I'm not considering the 15" is versatility and price. I can't afford it haha... keep in mind I am in Canada... that sucker costs $366 + 15% tax here... yikes. The big coil is the reason I haven't sold my Gamma yet... I simply love that 13" Detech Ultimate. Next time I go to that site, I'm going to use the 705 with the stock MF coil and see how it performs there. I know there is a lot of stuff hiding in that ground... just a matter of getting my coil over it and digging the deep iffy signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread