DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So even though I have had some good finds with my etrac in the past few months, there seems to be an ongoing issue the last few times I've gone out where almost every swing im getting some sort of falsing and the threshold is never stable unless I keep it above ground. Even in TTF it never stays stable. I was finding pennies the other day that were reading 27 FE and nothing else was in the hole with them as far as I could tell. I read a couple different things about possible solutions and I've already tried a master reset a couple weeks ago so idk what to try. I checked where the coil cable plugs into the housing, but is there another spot I should check? This has been happening in a few different places or else I would assume its user error, but it was acting fine up until a while ago. I cleaned the coil cover and stuff too. I don't think its a faulty coil either because when I raise the coil up in the air it stays stable and wiggling it doesn't do anything

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bobby, very difficult to diagnose over a computer but are you sure sensitivity is not to high or your getting EMI from somewhere?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bart - Make sure your Sensitivity is set to "Auto" and then try again. Make sure your not near and electrical poles or underground cables. Power poles can shoot out EMI from pretty good distances........

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bobby, very difficult to diagnose over a computer but are you sure sensitivity is not to high or your getting EMI from somewhere?

I have been using Auto +3 since getting it because I notice manual makes it worse. The sensitivity when in auto +3 is usually between 19 and 26 at the places I go. There are always your typical power lines when detecting older homes that are still in use and in town, but those are the last few places I've been going, so maybe I still have to adjust. My one concern was getting pennies in the 27 FE range, not sure why it would do that.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time that happens try going deeper and check the sides.. Usually a ferrous object nearby.. Also try a magnet in the hole could come up with some broken rust mixed in.. You could also try a factory reset..

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back off auto sens to just straight auto and maybe even go negative. If adjusting to manual makes it worse it SURE sounds like a EMI issue. Manual makes the machine run all channels at same level. Auto makes the Minelab E-Trac adjust each channel for optimal stable operation level. Some may be high, some low.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back off auto sens to just straight auto and maybe even go negative. If adjusting to manual makes it worse it SURE sounds like a EMI issue. Manual makes the machine run all channels at same level. Auto makes the Minelab E-Trac adjust each channel for optimal stable operation level. Some may be high, some low.

Alright thanks. I'll have to try some tweaking if the problem arises again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread