will an Explorer SE make much difference?

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Hi everyone,

I've been ready this site for about a year now. A little over a year ago I received a White's Prizm IV as a Christmas gift. The Prizm has been ok but it doesn't really seem to reach coin targets any deeper than about 4"-5". I have been toying with the idea of buying an upper end detector. Since I live in the St. Louis area it was suggested to me that I might want to consider a Minelab Explorer SE to better handle the soil conditions in Missouri. My question is this, do you gete a noticeable improvement in detector performance when you go from an entry level machine to one that is nearer the top of the line? After talking to some long time detector folks, it makes me wonder if there is still enough stuff out there to find. I really like spending time searching parks, old home sites, schools...etc. But if all I am going to find is clad...I can do that with the Prizm. Will a machine like the Explorer or White's DFX really enable me to find more than my current unit? I would like to hear opinions on this.

Bill Dilly

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
Hello

I'm still learning the SE, so I can't fully speak for the SE, but when you ask if going to higher end unit can help. I would say YES. I remember about ten years ago, I was using a Garrett GTA1000. I found a lot of coins and was quite happy with it, until I started hunting with a partner with a White's XLT. He was pulling keeper coins all around me. I even got to the point where if he thought he had a good coin in the ground to call me over so I could scan it with my Garrett, so I could learn the tones.

One particular day he said he had a good 'dime' sound about 6" in the ground. I brought my garrett.. and was stunned to listen to the complete silence as I scanned over the spot. I then watched him dig a nice Barber dime out of that hole. Next day I ordered my XLT. The day I got my detector.. my official detector days changed. Suddenly I was digging Indian Heads and Barbers left and right with it. All in hunting grounds that I scoured with the Garrett.

I know there were will be a lot of debate of the technique vs the machine. And I would agree. An experienced THunter and a crap bottom of the line machine can still walk away with a lot of coins, but definitely it's nice to be able to learn on a good machine.. to help those finds make it to the surface.

You also asked if there is still stuff out there. The answer is YES. Maybe all the 'easy' stuff is gone, but I'm amazed how much good stuff is out there.

This year I thought I'd try a new machine and went with the SE. There is a lot to learn and understand (especially knowing my XLT like the back of my hand). It's a turn and burn machine.. but if you want the good stuff, you need to learn what it's telling you, and how to get the best readings for your condition. So if you want to really take advantage of it, you need to put in the time.

Just yesterday, I've been learning the machine in a 'hunted out' park, where I've taken my Garrett and XLT many many times in the past and usually walk away with nothing. I know other detectorists go there ALL the time. So I thought I'd work on my technique and learn the tones there. Well yesterday after about an hour, I found a 1919 Wheat and 1924 Merc. So again.. stuff is out there. Side note, I had the detector there for the last three days, but yesterday I worked on some new settings and changed to a smaller coil.

Hope this helps
DB

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i recently got an se and only got out with it about four times before it got cold, but i noticed a pretty impressive differance in depth between my gti 2500 and the explorer se. i found 5 wheats and two silver dimes in areas i had pounded with the garrett and that was only in four short hunts. i cant speak for anyone else, and maybe its a little too early to even speak for me, but so far i am really happy with the se!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill, there are some questions you must ask yourself before upgrading:

1. How much time versus $$$ for new machine are you able to hunt?

2. How experienced are you with your current machine?

The reason i am asking these questions is simple, if you are only able to hunt limited time then possibly the $$$ for a new machine might leave you a lil disappointed. If you have only limited experience with your whites, it could possilby be you need a lil more knowledge getting it setup to help you hit those deeper signals.

The SE has a steep learning curve, alot of difference from a whites, and since you are familar with whites it might be to your benefit to perhaps get an XLT, unless you are willing to put the time into learning the SE. If your hunting time is limited the XLT might be your better choice, whereas at a later date you may have wished you had gotten an SE and spent the time learning her, again i want to stress coming from a whites to a SE has a very STEEP learning curve. I went to the SE after a couple years lapse from tecting with minelabs at that time, and the learning curve was not that bad for me, but i spent years using other minelabs before my leaving tecting.

So the bottom line is this, if you have the time to study and patience to learn the se and i mean patience, you will be rewarded in the long run, with nice deep finds.

I am not familar with whites as it has been years since i used one(other then antique hanging in garage) perhaps one of the other gentleman with whites experience like detectorBase or the others could assist you pertaining to the whites.

There are alot of knowledgeable people on here more then willing to assist you.

OP
OP
B

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
To thesleeper...
I have put quite a bit of time into learning the Prizm IV and I really do think that I understand this unit pretty well. It's ok for shallow stuff and it can detect large metal objects at 8" or more. The problem is that it just can't seem to find coins deeper than about 4". That's ok if all you want to find is clad. I don't mind putting the time into learning a complicated machine. I just want to make sure that I don't spend $1,100 or more on a detector that doesn't do much more than the $350 machine (as far as depth is concerned).
I appreciate everyones feedback. If I can get a detector that will give me maximum depth I don't really care what it cost or how much time it takes to learn how to use it.

DetectorBase

Dec 31, 2006
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE w/SunRay X-1, X-5 and X-8 / Whites XLT / Whites GM3
I would agree on the $$$ issue. You can pick up a used XLT for pretty cheap. Might even get a used DFX for a great price too, and quite a bit below the SE.

The XLT/DFX is great for the signagraph. I use to live in that thing... and I like the fact that the SE has something very similar (SmartFind). I would also agree that the learning curve is steep from Whites to SE, but not too bad if you're coming from XLT/DFX. The hardest things for me is the tone id, new readout variables and the pinpointing with the double D. Pinpointing and target values were pretty quick, but understanding the tones is going to take some time.. and I haven't even started with custom programs, etc.

I guess it all depends on how serious you are. For me.. I love detecting. When I'm not detecting, I'm thinking about detecting. I've put in some serious hours with the Garret/XLT and now with the SE, so it's easy for me to justify the investment.

I also think you might want to try some of those other machines (test drive). It might be worth a drive to a dealer to swing a XLT, DFX, x-terra and SE. That may make your decision real simple at that time.

HTH
DB

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
In a nutshell ; you have to be willing to take the time to use and adjust a high end detector like the SE to make it what it is intended to be; a better detector. Detecting is still treaure hunting and how well you know your detector makes a lot of difference. You will notice just from the turn on and go settings there is a big difference in the two. If you can afford ; go for it. The SE will hold its value and after 6 months or so you can sell it for a pretty good price. In the meantime you'll be able to get to the deeper older stuff easier. Let me nkow if I can help you any more with your choice.

OP
OP
B

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Tony in CT...I have noticed that there have been some problems as far as durability with the Explorer. Is that an issue?

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
There were some issues with the upper rod locking into the control housing on some units after a period of time. They have pretty much fixed the problem now. thats the only durability issue I know of.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill, ok i was just wondering thats all. The SE will go deep, on beach`s its not unusual to hit pennies 8-14 inchs deep last weekend civil war relic hunting i hit a 3/8 inch mil button backing at close to 9 inches deep. So there is no question about the SE hitting deep. I mainly work beach`s and can go after other hunters but working deep and still make nice finds.

OP
OP
B

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Hey Sleeper...those are legitimate questions and I appreciate your feedback. I have been giving some thought to maybe buying an Explorer SE and a Garrett Infinium. I understand that they are both deep machines. I can't really decide which way to go. So, I will probably just buy both and give them a try. I understand that the pulse induction in the Infinium is much different from standard detectors.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Life is very short,I wish i was 20 year's younger,and starting out,but I'm not and have to accept the fact.It's been a cold winter and i invested in a Minelab SE a Excalibur 1000 an a SD 2200,Did i need to spend this kind of money,well yes and know,Life is short and as you get older, why waste your time wondering what a better detector would do for your detecting,Sure i could have purchased a 250.00 dollar machine,and been posting questions,how would a better detector increase my find's,or go out and enjoy life to the fullest,and know that you gave it your best,with the best detector's out there,If you only get to use it a few time's a month,wouldn't you fill better knowing that you found everything you could, and didn't leave that gold ring or coin,just because you didn't want to spend extra money,Enjoy your short time on earth,and don't grow old wishing that you had purchased that better detector. Thank you for taking the time to read this.Ronald99 ??? ::)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I agree-go for it. I have a DFX and 2 EX-2's IMHO the EX's run circles arond the DFX and for the water Excaliburs 1000 & 800. 100 straight shaft for wading and the 800 for diving. Love those Minelabs!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bill dilly said:
Hey Sleeper...those are legitimate questions and I appreciate your feedback. I have been giving some thought to maybe buying an Explorer SE and a Garrett Infinium. I understand that they are both deep machines. I can't really decide which way to go. So, I will probably just buy both and give them a try. I understand that the pulse induction in the Infinium is much different from standard detectors.
The infinium don't have such a good discrimination as the explorer but it will go deep to they are aobut the same price to. (read a few reviews/field tests)
http://www.p2p-zone.com/infinium/index.php might help here to.
The Infinium is not digital but the explorere is. (The infinium don't have a screen)
But you can go about everywhere with the Infinium.( it's water proof but the explorer is not)

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
The general consensus is that Minelabs go deeper, because of their multiple frequencies and DD coils. They can handle mineralized soil/sand better than the others. But as others have said, the learning curve can be a bit tough - the sounds are so different than that of other machines.
Remember' 'deep' is a relative term. Under certain conditions, 'deep' can be 5 inches. I've had my SE for ~32 hours of use, and have found an Indian at 8 inches and a 14K ring at 10 - both at saltwater beaches. I think that beats anything else over the past 8 years of detecting (except maybe for a pulse machine).

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
swingman said:
The general consensus is that Minelabs go deeper, because of their multiple frequencies and DD coils. They can handle mineralized soil/sand better than the others. But as others have said, the learning curve can be a bit tough - the sounds are so different than that of other machines.
Remember' 'deep' is a relative term. Under certain conditions, 'deep' can be 5 inches. I've had my SE for ~32 hours of use, and have found an Indian at 8 inches and a 14K ring at 10 - both at saltwater beaches. I think that beats anything else over the past 8 years of detecting (except maybe for a pulse machine).

Yes for 'all round detectors, gold detectors' are the deepest but I don't know from what I have read the Infinium will go deeper then the Excalibur (beach/ under water detectors, both of them), altohugh I am not sure if this is true. If you have the cash to buy one (depending on what you'll be searching) I would get the Explorer Se they also have a good amount of aftermarket search coils.(Minelab)

OP
OP
B

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
EU Citizen...I am located in Missouri where the soil is mineralized and rocky. I hunt for coins and jewelry...but I am also starting to get into Civil War relic hunting. The Prizm IV that I currently use will find coins in this area at depths of between 4"-5". The Prizm doesn't seem to have a problem finding iron and larger metal objects at up to a depth of 8"-12" in this soil. Since my main focus is coins, I really would like a machine that will get to deeper objects in "hunted out" parks. That is why I'm considering buying the Minelab and/or the Infinium. I still haven't made the decision to spend the money. If I was confident that the Explorer or Infinium would perform better than what I have, I would buy today. I just don't want to spend the money and find out that the improvement from the Prizm IV to the Minelab is minimal.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Prizm IV vs. Explorer SE = two different leagues. The SE comes with a DD coil and you can get smaller coils for it that will get through the mineralization better. I am not surprised that you are getting only 4 to 5" with the Prizm. It has a preset GB that can be adjusted but you'll have to do a lot of adjusting. Get the SE and don't look back. Call me if you need anything else.
ToninCT
860-623-1153
www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bill dilly said:
EU Citizen...I am located in Missouri where the soil is mineralized and rocky. I hunt for coins and jewelry...but I am also starting to get into Civil War relic hunting. The Prizm IV that I currently use will find coins in this area at depths of between 4"-5". The Prizm doesn't seem to have a problem finding iron and larger metal objects at up to a depth of 8"-12" in this soil. Since my main focus is coins, I really would like a machine that will get to deeper objects in "hunted out" parks. That is why I'm considering buying the Minelab and/or the Infinium. I still haven't made the decision to spend the money. If I was confident that the Explorer or Infinium would perform better than what I have, I would buy today. I just don't want to spend the money and find out that the improvement from the Prizm IV to the Minelab is minimal.
All (or rather both) will get deep coins, but the Infinium will get you to dig more (both bad and good stuff)
If you are mainly relic hunting I would reccomend the Infinium, as it will 'force' you to dig more and that way you'll find more as well, but the Explorer has a Superior discrimination in relation to the Infinium, both have a decent learning curve.

Tony is right a small coil will help, even if your having rocks around (depending on size of the rocks you can also get a big coil)
either one of these detectors should have any problems with Minerals unless you haven't ground balanced it well, or it's a darn extreme place if so I think the Infinium would be the better choice there. Both get deep so parks would only be a problem with trash in regards to the infinium because of the 'bad' discrimination at that place the Explorer would be better.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
TonyinCT said:
In a nutshell ; you have to be willing to take the time to use and adjust a high end detector like the SE to make it what it is intended to be; a better detector. Detecting is still treaure hunting and how well you know your detector makes a lot of difference. You will notice just from the turn on and go settings there is a big difference in the two. If you can afford ; go for it. The SE will hold its value and after 6 months or so you can sell it for a pretty good price. In the meantime you'll be able to get to the deeper older stuff easier. Let me nkow if I can help you any more with your choice.

Thank you Tony for all of your input to my questions on the subject.
Now I guess I will have a cup of coffee and ponder which one................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread