Is there a Minelab video on pinpointing with stock coils?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not seen any videos of just that but take a few big pieces of cardboard and tape good and bad targets to it. Spread them out upside down and in a fairly clean area and practice your pin pointing.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bart, I never thought about that but its a great idea.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I find are basic startup videos but none with actual videos on pinpointing.I'm getting better I'll have to admit but it would be nice to hear the tones when someone is right over a target.Im finding on my 505 the tones get slightly higher pitched.
The pinpoint mode is very accurate on the 505. Usually when the circular lcd segments are completed, and the sound is the loudest/highest pitched the target is in the very center of the coil. If I'm not sure, I try to 'draw' a circle around the target with the coil if possible, in addition to the standard 'X' and see where the tone drops off and comes back as you circle the target. I'm sure you will get it down soon. HH

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe after a fews swing the machine "downsizes the target" so try a few more swings and listen for the loudest tone..

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What has really helped me until I got more instinctive with my pinpointing with the Minelab was to pinpoint in two 90 degree directions. Once I got better and knew what to listen for, I am able to pinpoint much faster in one direction only. Still on iffy signals I will pinpoint in two different directions. Make it a goal to work toward digging smaller and smaller holes and you will get better.

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you seen any videos on the "wiggle back" method? I've used it with my E-trac and it works great. It also works with my CTX3030, but not as well as with the E-trac. You can google around for a video, but I know Goes4Ever has a video on his site. You basically find the center of the target based on the loudest signal and then wiggle the coil over that area (maybe moving it an inch back and forth) and then slowly move the coil back until you lose the signal. The target will then be just in front of the coil where you lost the tone. It works pretty well.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coily, I don't pay attention to audio when pinpointing, I just use the pinpoint mode and screen display. Once in pinpoint I move slowly in an x in til the pinpoint circle on the screen is to the farthest right. Once you get there the target will be dead center.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coily, I don't pay attention to audio when pinpointing, I just use the pinpoint mode and screen display. Once in pinpoint I move slowly in an x in til the pinpoint circle on the screen is to the farthest right. Once you get there the target will be dead center.

More good advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread