Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would depend largely on soil conditions and coil selection.
In mild ground, with a Coiltek 15" All Terrain coil of a frequency that is optimum for targets sought.....take a good shovel, 'cause your Lesche isn't going to cut it.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO the 505 is much, much, more detector for the money than the Lobo. If you are interested in prospecting, get the Lobo. 505 has adjustable GB, Lobo is ground tracking only, no option of shutting it off. One tone, no visual ID, turn the disc knob to see where the target drops out, (fiddling with knobs in 2014?) or set the disc to miss foil or tabs and you also miss nickels and gold. The 505 hit's DEEP and has visual target ID, multi-tones, & switchable frequencies depending on coil choice. IMO, the Lobo is over priced and under-engineered, especially when compared to other prospecting machines. I love my 505 & after about 9 months use, I don't think you can get a better detector (or even as good as) the X-Terra.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, I just found a new x-terra 505 for $250. I have a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq and am looking for a better relic hunter. How deep will this detector reach on bullets, buttons, coins? Any advice? Thanks Steve
BUY IT! If it's clean and runs out nicely, you'll never lose a penny if you don't like it. I've never used the 505, but many attest to its abilities! And yes the Koolaid is great!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUY IT! If it's clean and runs out nicely, you'll never lose a penny if you don't like it. I've never used the 505, but many attest to its abilities! And yes the Koolaid is great!

Fletch is right on! Its basically a 705 with a few less bells & whistles. The guru of X-Terra's, Randy Horton, said that the X-Terra 505 will find coins as deep as the 705. The main difference is ground tracking and a backlight. I've found about $45 in clad and some cool relics, plus my first silver coin and a pre-1908 Chinese coin with my 505 in almost 9 months use.

Mobius1

Sep 10, 2013
Orange, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 (two years experience)
E-trac (currently learning)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the 305 for years and it's never let me down. Buy the 505!! The price you are getting is great and it will be a very high performing detector for your needs. I have the 15" coiltek coil that I use for beaches which is also a great investment. You won't find a better detector for the money, I guarantee it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta agree with these opinions aswell even though the machine wasnt for I still think its ahead of a lot of its competition very versitle I mean what other brand out there in that price range actually no what other brand out there period lets you change frequencies with just a simple coil change. Good machines. And at that price if for some reason you don't like it I'm sure ull be able to get all ur money back & then some. Good luck hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread