Just About Gave Up On The 705

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beginning of last year I picked up an Xterra 705, but I could never really click with it. It seemed like I was always chasing broken signals that wouldn't repeat. The settings I used were pattern 4 with 4 tones. Half way through the year I gave up on the 705 in favor of an AT Pro.

I did geat on the AT Pro, but not willing to give up on the 705, I decided to do some playing around with the settings. I threw some silver dimes on my living room floor and started swinging the 705 coil over them one at a time. One of the dimes would ring up nice and clear the way it should, but sure enough, the other two rang up as broken, non-repeatable signals. The same kind of broken signals I always end up chasing when I'm in the field.

I knew the nails in my floor were probably the reason for the broken signals, so I decided to put the 705 in all metal mode to see if the signal would clear up. I also changed the tone setting from 4 to 99.

Sure enough, the dimes which were ringing up as broken signals, were now ringing up true and clear. I could also hear the nails in the floor as they should.

My conclusion to the broken ghost signals that used to drive me crazy, was good targets being masked by iron when using the pattern 4 discrimination.

Now I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get out and try the 705 in all metal mode out in the field! I'm hoping my days of chasing ghost signals with my 705 are finally over.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame I recently had a 705 not for very long at all I liked it everything about it ya know all its options abilities all of it, but for kinda the same just didn't click with it

What coil are you using? From what I ve read the concentric 9" makes it difficult to learn in iron or trashy areas & the dd's were much better. I could be wrong just what I read

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame I recently had a 705 not for very long at all I liked it everything about it ya know all its options abilities all of it, but for kinda the same just didn't click with it

What coil are you using? From what I ve read the concentric 9" makes it difficult to learn in iron or trashy areas & the dd's were much better. I could be wrong just what I read

I started with the stock concentric, but thanks to Longhairs advice I swiched to the 10.5 dd and did much better. However, I'm convinced the audio in all metal mode will be easier for me to understand.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased the X-Terra 705 myself. The weather hasn't been suitable at all for more than one day in a row. :)
So I've had time to work part of my yard to get the feel of the machine. Then headed out for my first real field test. I'm still learning but liking the machine. I had a day last Saturday that was great for swinging. I hit a football stadium that's been in use for decades. I made up a log of what the detector told me and what I actually dug. It was pretty much spot on every time. I DID have a couple of signals that still have me scratching my head but hey, I'm still learning.
What I used was preset 1 and coin mode. That blanks out lead targets but I have the threshold high enough to hear ANY target. I watch the TID reading also. Once I get a hit, I change angles and swing over it again. Then I switch to AM and pinpoint mode. You still get the TID readings along with the pinpoint readings. I've seen my target jump from a -4 TID to a 34. Seems there were two metals close to each other in the same spot.
It just takes some time learning the machine, in my opinion. I'm not there yet but working on it.
HH!!!

SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave
8-)

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup longhair is very knowledgeable when it comes to the xterras I've noticed, ill be wondering for well ever if I just changed coils would I have kept it? Maybe. Time is everything with every machine. Mayb I should have given it more,maybe not k do know usually no matter what I either click or I don't & in this case I just didn't. Good luck to both of ya

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the time to really learn the 705. You will be very pleased with it's ability to sniff out the good stuff......good luck and have fun with it:icon_thumright:!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just takes some time learning the machine, in my opinion. I'm not there yet but working on it.
Me too Dave!
Every time out I learn something, tweak something a different way, use alternate modes, etc... And I've been at it for a few years.
Fact is, the Xterra is so adjustable that I don't believe anyone that says they've "mastered it" over the course of their first season, because it simply isn't possible. It's an easy machine to be successful with, but it's also flexible enough that if whatever you're doing isn't being productive, you have a number of options to employ before you can declare defeat. IMO this is one reason that the Xterra is in a class of it's own. If your setup isn't working.....change something! Other machines haven't the ability to do what the 705 can with frequency changes, Tracking Offset, Prospecting Mode, and Beach Tracking.
Of course, no other machine is as digital as the Xterra platform is either, which is why it can do all that it does. Conceptually, digital technology is only limited by the engineer's imagination and development costs.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beginning of last year I picked up an Xterra 705, but I could never really click with it. It seemed like I was always chasing broken signals that wouldn't repeat. The settings I used were pattern 4 with 4 tones. Half way through the year I gave up on the 705 in favor of an AT Pro.

I did geat on the AT Pro, but not willing to give up on the 705, I decided to do some playing around with the settings. I threw some silver dimes on my living room floor and started swinging the 705 coil over them one at a time. One of the dimes would ring up nice and clear the way it should, but sure enough, the other two rang up as broken, non-repeatable signals. The same kind of broken signals I always end up chasing when I'm in the field.

I knew the nails in my floor were probably the reason for the broken signals, so I decided to put the 705 in all metal mode to see if the signal would clear up. I also changed the tone setting from 4 to 99.

Sure enough, the dimes which were ringing up as broken signals, were now ringing up true and clear. I could also hear the nails in the floor as they should.

My conclusion to the broken ghost signals that used to drive me crazy, was good targets being masked by iron when using the pattern 4 discrimination.

Now I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get out and try the 705 in all metal mode out in the field! I'm hoping my days of chasing ghost signals with my 705 are finally over.
Duh!! No, seriously though, I tested a merc dime next to a rusty nail with my XT 505 and had similar results as the symptoms you describe. That is why I ONLY hunt 99 tones, regardless of being in all metal or disc mode. It seems to be struggling to put the dime and nail into 2 of those 4 tones, with 99 tones, there are more tones for the detector to categorize the target, so it doesn't seem to 'struggle' as much and chirp or get one-way signals. A key to finding things in trashy sites with the XT that other detectors miss, is to slow waaaayyy down with the swing speed (3-4 seconds per swing). If you have it in disc, be sure to swing slow enough that the threshold hum is not constantly dropping out (nulling). The XT in 99 tones, AM 'sees' EVERYTHING under the coil, if you aren't swinging slow enough, you will be missing things. Once you learn the nuances of the 705, you will be amazed at what you find that you missed with AT Pro.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Tin cans, some square nails, horseshoe nails and some newer round nails fool me quite often, while in the All Metal mode.

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duh!! No, seriously though, I tested a merc dime next to a rusty nail with my XT 505 and had similar results as the symptoms you describe. That is why I ONLY hunt 99 tones, regardless of being in all metal or disc mode. It seems to be struggling to put the dime and nail into 2 of those 4 tones, with 99 tones, there are more tones for the detector to categorize the target, so it doesn't seem to 'struggle' as much and chirp or get one-way signals. A key to finding things in trashy sites with the XT that other detectors miss, is to slow waaaayyy down with the swing speed (3-4 seconds per swing). If you have it in disc, be sure to swing slow enough that the threshold hum is not constantly dropping out (nulling). The XT in 99 tones, AM 'sees' EVERYTHING under the coil, if you aren't swinging slow enough, you will be missing things. Once you learn the nuances of the 705, you will be amazed at what you find that you missed with AT Pro.

I believe ya! Lol I thought it was the combination of all metal and 99 tones that helped the signal to come through, but what you said makes a lot of sense. Looks like I'll be doing a lot more hunting with the 705 this year.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savage im in same boat as you,only i got the XT 505...I had it first and just wasnt getting along with it so i got an At Pro and am getting along with it fine...But just recently have decided to try and make friends with my 505 again.I hope the info i just read on this thread is going to help me get closer to my 505...anymore tips along the same lines would b very helpful.....Thanx....barry

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...anymore tips along the same lines would b very helpful.....
This will be fun!

I'd suggest that you start somewhere that the trash density is relatively low. Set Sensitivity as high as possible, pick your Noise Cancel channel, set your GB (remember that the higher the number the milder the ground), set Tones to 99 (actually 19), back the Sensitivity down to where it's reasonably quiet, and start detecting. All Metal will teach you proper swing speed, as you need to go slow enough to isolate and identify each hit. Next best is zero Disc. If you find that you're getting a lot of false high tones, you're probably swinging too fast. And don't just listen to the pitch of the tones, listen to tone qualities too. Blunt, broken, or scratchy sounding tones often give away trash. Coins most often have a clean clear coin sized tone. Don't start out chasing "iffy" signals. Focus on those that are clean and repeatable.

Now go play! Report back with your experience, and if you have some specific questions we'll try to answer them.
GL&HH!

OP
OP
S

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be fun!

I'd suggest that you start somewhere that the trash density is relatively low. Set Sensitivity as high as possible, pick your Noise Cancel channel, set your GB (remember that the higher the number the milder the ground), set Tones to 99 (actually 19), back the Sensitivity down to where it's reasonably quiet, and start detecting. All Metal will teach you proper swing speed, as you need to go slow enough to isolate and identify each hit. Next best is zero Disc. If you find that you're getting a lot of false high tones, you're probably swinging too fast. And don't just listen to the pitch of the tones, listen to tone qualities too. Blunt, broken, or scratchy sounding tones often give away trash. Coins most often have a clean clear coin sized tone. Don't start out chasing "iffy" signals. Focus on those that are clean and repeatable.

Now go play! Report back with your experience, and if you have some specific questions we'll try to answer them.
GL&HH!

Feel free to post your results right here. With almost 9" of snow on the ground, I won't be able to participate, but I'll enjoy reading what you guys post. :-)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to post your results right here. With almost 9" of snow on the ground, I won't be able to participate, but I'll enjoy reading what you guys post. :-)
Longhair (& Digger of course) is the man to listen to regarding the X-Terras, but your 705 actually has 28 tones. The X-Terra 505 has 19 tones. I had a problem with chasing those iffy signals like Longhair states, but I'm gaining trust in my machine now and now waste much less time on those!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions