X-Terra 505 or X-Terra 705?

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guy's and gal's thanks ahead of time first for reading my post and for any help you might have to offer I know this topic has been covered but I've also other questions on this series of detectors so please bare with me.
Thanks to a fellow called longhair who put up a reply on the 705 I have an idea of what I'll have to do for coils pun intended here this was up on a coin toss between the AT-PRO and an X-Terra so far I've read only a couple of negative feedbacks on the 705 which is what I'm leaning towards one guy says its a boat anchor so I know this is true as he posted a review where ever he could to let me know this LoL...
Now i live in a part of Indiana that is heavily iron laden,I prospect here to and the amount of iron in the soil here really surprised me this is a big concern for me seeing that some of the home sites in fact all of them I'll be hunting also have a lot of iron trash door hinges door knobs axe heads nails,nails nails this tells me something,old farmer John was not concerned many decades ago that I might be looking for his coin spills and rings :-).
Now I'll be mostly ground hunting and mostly in areas like I just mentioned so feel free to chime in on the differences between the 505,and the 705 I've seen some of the differences mentioned already like back lighting on the LCD so I guess the other features is what I need to hear about I'm really leaning towards the 705 though I figure I might as well.
Also if you've had troubles and had to do returns for repairs chime in and let me know how that turned out I'll be looking into getting a cheaper detector as a back up maybe another low to mid range BH or Ace150.in case I have a problem and get to having withdraws.
My decision so far for this brand and make has been multiple frequencies with coil changes,this line seems to be pretty much an all around detecting machine with good depth range seems straight forward as far as the ease of learning different settings some of the coils are water proof has a likeable set of tones and the fact that you don't have to use a propitiatory headphone all of these points are on my check list of likes.
So if there's anything I'm missing please let me know I've still got time to think this through and to do some investigating these two detectors,I'll be looking for a seller who will have a deal on the Minelab detectors I've mentioned along with the Minelab pin pointer as I've got digging tools and find pouches already.
Thanks for reading my post I'm sorry that I'm long winded but I'm trying to make an educated decision I left MDing two or three years ago after having not been out for over 20 years,I know this subject had been brought up before but things change in time as well so someone may know something more now thanks anyhow.
Tim

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Bucketfreak,

Rest assured, anything you read about the Minelab X-Terra series (and a few other detectors too!) written by Longhair is spot on! As you do some more research, look for articles by Randy "Digger" Horton... his advice is top notch as well.

Randy wrote an excellent resource to help you understand the X-Terra series, which is available in ebook form and available from Minelab's website (you have to register for an account to download it) or PM me your email address and I will send it to you. It describes the differences between the X-Terra 505 and 705 about as well or better than anything available.

I could give you a laundry list of the differences between the two detectors...prospecting mode, ground balance offset, expanded tone ID, etc, etc. but I think you already have that....
The main difference in any detector- regardless of brand- is that once you reach the mid to upper mid range detectors and start moving toward the high end detectors the ability tp discriminate between good and bad targets goes up. Different brands present this information in different ways, with varying degrees of ability to seperate trash between the brands and models. The trick is to find one that fits your style of learning, works well with the types of targets you are hunting, and works in the areas where you will be detecting.

The X-Terra series is generally like all Minelabs - they like a slow swing, and are primarily an audio first/visual ID second type of detector. They do a good job in seperation of targets in the conditions you describe... naturally the X-Terra 705 will give you more information than the X-Terra 505 to help you decide if the target is worth digging. If you can afford it, pick the X-Terra 705, but if you can't the X-Terra 505 will do a good job too.

Both of them really work well with the 6" Coiltek 3 kHz "Digger" coil - a favorite of many relic hunters using both of those detectors. The seperation in trashy areas is outstanding, without much loss of depth. :)

Hope that helps!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good info above

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 505 and love it! My buddy has a 705 and we find them same things at the same depths (9" dimes and 10" copper pennies are not uncommon). If you will be doing alot of nugget shooting (prospecting) or beach hunting, the 705 is the better choice. That being said, with the 6" DD 18.75khz coil, my XT 505 will pick up very small gold flakes I have in a vial, and hits on sub-grain lead shot. Can't go wrong with either, but with the money I saved I bought the 6" 18.75 coil.

Digger 45

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2014
Fresno Calif
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X, Ace 250, Fisher F5, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Outlaw, Minelab X-Terra 705.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger 45

Hi guy's and gal's thanks ahead of time first for reading my post and for any help you might have to offer I know this topic has been covered but I've also other questions on this series of detectors so please bare with me.
Thanks to a fellow called longhair who put up a reply on the 705 I have an idea of what I'll have to do for coils pun intended here this was up on a coin toss between the AT-PRO and an X-Terra so far I've read only a couple of negative feedbacks on the 705 which is what I'm leaning towards one guy says its a boat anchor so I know this is true as he posted a review where ever he could to let me know this LoL...
Now i live in a part of Indiana that is heavily iron laden,I prospect here to and the amount of iron in the soil here really surprised me this is a big concern for me seeing that some of the home sites in fact all of them I'll be hunting also have a lot of iron trash door hinges door knobs axe heads nails,nails nails this tells me something,old farmer John was not concerned many decades ago that I might be looking for his coin spills and rings :-).
Now I'll be mostly ground hunting and mostly in areas like I just mentioned so feel free to chime in on the differences between the 505,and the 705 I've seen some of the differences mentioned already like back lighting on the LCD so I guess the other features is what I need to hear about I'm really leaning towards the 705 though I figure I might as well.
Also if you've had troubles and had to do returns for repairs chime in and let me know how that turned out I'll be looking into getting a cheaper detector as a back up maybe another low to mid range BH or Ace150.in case I have a problem and get to having withdraws.
My decision so far for this brand and make has been multiple frequencies with coil changes,this line seems to be pretty much an all around detecting machine with good depth range seems straight forward as far as the ease of learning different settings some of the coils are water proof has a likeable set of tones and the fact that you don't have to use a propitiatory headphone all of these points are on my check list of likes.
So if there's anything I'm missing please let me know I've still got time to think this through and to do some investigating these two detectors,I'll be looking for a seller who will have a deal on the Minelab detectors I've mentioned along with the Minelab pin pointer as I've got digging tools and find pouches already.
Thanks for reading my post I'm sorry that I'm long winded but I'm trying to make an educated decision I left MDing two or three years ago after having not been out for over 20 years,I know this subject had been brought up before but things change in time as well so someone may know something more now thanks anyhow.
Tim

I have had a lot of experience with other detectors but only about three weeks on the 705 but really impressed, if you have high mineralized soil buy the gold package, it is exactly the same except with the 10 x 5 coil 18.75, i had a problem because i ordered the concentric coil and with this soil i could not get it to settle down, i ordered the DD coil and it is great, good with gold but great on coins, i have pulled coins out as deep as 12 " dimes at 8" all the time. It is a learning curve but i run tracking all the time with TID stable on and sensitivity any where from 7 to 20 depending on the ground phase.

If you haven't read understanding your X-Terra it is a must, download and read it several times. You will love this machine, it makes you want to go out all the time and find the good stuff.

Good luck!!

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bucket, i have a 705 and a friend who has been detecting for a long time also has a new 705. He complained at first that he was finding less with this machine but after more use and learning the machine he started to find more as did I. I have talked to and read a lot that longhair has said and also read what Randy has written. I have a few different coils and if I have extra money this year, i have a couple other coils in mind to purchase. I have not had any problems with the detector or any need to return it however i did have a problem with my Minelab pro swing and called Minelab. They have an office in Illinois in the west burbs of Chicago. I drove up and they gave me a new proswing after making sure it was not defective as he stated they had problems with a batch of them.
As far as headphones. I found some tdk wireless headphones on ebay and use them. I attached the transmitter to the back of my 705 via Velcro and I love them. They are comfortable and allow me to wear them for hours, hear my surrounding to be safe yet hear the detector tones perfectly.

As far as who carries them, i will send you a message but look up Barts Big boys hobbies on here.
Gerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread