Which way to go e-trac or XT-705 with 3 coils?

5akers

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Strafford MO
Detector(s) used
Still Looking
I have been thinking about the XT-705 with the 3, 7.5 and 18.75 kh coils and feel it would cover all of the bases. The cost of the 705 with 3 coils brings me above the cost of the safari and just under the cost of the e-trac. Would it make sence to just pull the trigger and buy the e-trac? I do not have any experience with the minelab product but when I search for a MD to buy I seem to always come back to Minelab.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never used the XT-705. But I can say that the E-Trac is unbelievable, and I'm still learning. I've had mine a year next month, and I think in a couple more years I may learn it well enough to really use its' full capabilities.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just depends. Unless you are hunting gold nuggets, I would go with the E-Trac.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are such different animals that I have both an FBS and a V-Flex machine. It all depends on what you're hunting for, conditions where you'll hunt, and whether or not weight is a factor. Both are very capable units.

OP
OP

5akers

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Strafford MO
Detector(s) used
Still Looking
They are such different animals that I have both an FBS and a V-Flex machine. It all depends on what you're hunting for, conditions where you'll hunt, and whether or not weight is a factor. Both are very capable units.
Thanks Longhair, I will be doing general detecting coins/relics pretty much whatever I can find. I dont know the soil conditions out here in southwest missouri

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If weight isn't a concern, and if you're primarily a coin shooter, the go for the E-trac. I personally like the stability, as well as the user selectable and auto/manual adjustable features that allow the tailor-ability of the Xterra for hunting farm fields, cellar holes, and general purpose use.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the E-trek as you'll always wonder if you did the right thing. An it isn't as hard to learn as some guys let on.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can afford the Etrac, pick it up. That's not a knock on the X-Terra 705 at all, its just that the FE-CO combined discrimination feature of the Etrac that is worth the difference in my opinion. :)

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the 705 because you may want to look for gold nuggets if you ever get to a place where you want to do that. Better to have a feature you don't need now but may have a use for later down the road than not have that same feature and wish you did. I have the exact same 705 and the 3 coils you mention and it is the perfect combination IMHO. Believe me if it is out there underground I will find it within reason of course.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Major difference is the ability to find gold nuggets. If you think that you will not primarily being doing nugget shooting and would want to get an Etrac later on anyway, I would opt for the Etrac up front.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a 705 with three coils and would trade it for a etrac with even thinking about it.

jvav

Mar 11, 2013
Garwin IA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Spectrum XLT, AT-Pro, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both. a 705 with 6" digger 3khz, 6" 18khz dd, 10.5" 7.5khz dd and the stock coil. The etrac I picked up used with a sun ray pointer w/stock coil and use it way more. Its nice to have the option to go to a different coil but if I could only have one machine I would go with the etrac.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread