Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cover that came on the screen is ment to come off, its just to protect in the box.

No...it's not a protective film. In the center of the face, is the LCD, it sits 1/4 below the buttons and stuff. You would expect a plastic lens, but it's like shrink wrap. When you push it, you finger sinks past the face...into the control box, and stops when it hits the LCD. Removing it, would be like taking the windshield off your car. Trust me, I was shocked to see it too.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...it's not a protective film. In the center of the face, is the LCD, it sits 1/4 below the buttons and stuff. You would expect a plastic lens, but it's like shrink wrap. When you push it, you finger sinks past the face...into the control box, and stops when it hits the LCD. Removing it, would be like taking the windshield off your car. Trust me, I was shocked to see it too.

Mine screen on my safari is nice and stiff.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?oops?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone that gave me input on the Safari. You may have thought I wasn't listening, but I was! The snow is starting to melt, but the ground is still frozen. However, I did go out today and give it a test run.

Although digging was not an option, I was able to listen to the different sounds, and see the target ID's. It's intriguing to see that two #30's or #36's can sound very different. Anither week or two, hopefully I can retrieve some goodies.

One thing I was very impressed with, was the stability of the machine. I hunted a local park. Right next to the park is an AM radio station, with a huge tower. I was never able to tune the EMI out of my F70 and still get good depth. I was able to eliminate all EMI with the Safari, and still run her with the senc 16, threshold 14. Again, couldn't dig, but it showed targets near the bottom of the graph.

Actually, I'm quite excited. This park has always been a city park and fair ground. It's on maps that date back to 1890's. I've found a few mercs and wheaties in the past, I know there's more. Getting rid of the EMI and keeping the power, maybe exactly what I needed. We'll see, never found any gold there yet....but have no doubt it's there.

Thanks again, for taking the time to keep me focused on the bigger picture. This summer, when I post pictures of my finds, your all allowed to say, 'TOLD YOU SO!!'

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
The safari's and E tracs have supposedly improved on the Sovereign GT, but its not true, I think the Safari and GT are too new to work at their full potential.
Perhaps in ten more years all the kinks will be worked out.
The Sovereign Gold and treasure detector has been discontinued, but Including its newest and last generation it had a twenty year production run.
With all things being equal an experienced treasure hunter that knows the machine well will find more targets, both deeper and more often with a last generation Sovereign GT then with its "replacements"

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you mention that. As far as I can tell, the Safari has been out for (maybe) 6-7 years? I was wondering if it was nearing its marketing 'lifespan'. I know (to well) Minelab changed build specs, and I've heard they tweaked the firmware. Your definitely right about the GT. People that have them, love them. They are hard to find on the aftermarket.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig holes in your yard and bury coins at 2-4-6-8-10 inches and see and only hear the sound as it will be the same sound for as long as you have it. Do the same thing with rings silver gold and aluminum. Also try earrings . The sound in your yard will be the same as in a city park or a playground at a school. practice lots and lots.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I will throw in a comment here. 13 months ago I bought an E-Trac based on videos I'd seen and comments I found on this site.

I'm an experienced user, picked my teeth on Garretts, Whites, Fishers, and Tesoros starting in the early 80's - a time when you went by sound only.

So, I figured the E-Trac would be a breeze. Still, read Andy's book, watched all kinds of videos & tips - I was ready!

NOT..... For weeks I thought my new beast was defective, even posted here for a little advise.

Turns out I just had to go back to the basics and pay attention. Now I'm very pleased, and someday I'll even know how to really use this beast.

And, in my opinion, air testing is haphazard....

But, if you're not happy, return it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a Safari it was a good detector, sold it and bought used ETrac. Still own Sov GT and still happy with both no matter how much some people try to put them down they are fantastic detectors and worth every dime I spent on them... Sov GT has paid for itself couple tines over. Etrac not yet but my fault since I use it the least of my 4 Minelabs..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will throw in a comment here. 13 months ago I bought an E-Trac based on videos I'd seen and comments I found on this site. I'm an experienced user, picked my teeth on Garretts, Whites, Fishers, and Tesoros starting in the early 80's - a time when you went by sound only. So, I figured the E-Trac would be a breeze. Still, read Andy's book, watched all kinds of videos & tips - I was ready! NOT..... For weeks I thought my new beast was defective, even posted here for a little advise. Turns out I just had to go back to the basics and pay attention. Now I'm very pleased, and someday I'll even know how to really use this beast. And, in my opinion, air testing is haphazard.... But, if you're not happy, return it.
The first 30 minutes I used an Etrac I thought I was going to hate it and did until maybe 10-15 hours with it. I have sold it and bought a CTX, which is everything it's hyped up to be. But I still find myself reaching for the old trusty Sovereign when the going gets tough and I just want to hear the goodies "pop" out from amongst trash without fiddling with a bunch of buttons, modes, which tone pattern works best where! Just turn on and go!

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The first 30 minutes I used an Etrac I thought I was going to hate it and did until maybe 10-15 hours with it. I have sold it and bought a CTX, which is everything it's hyped up to be. But I still find myself reaching for the old trusty Sovereign when the going gets tough and I just want to hear the goodies "pop" out from amongst trash without fiddling with a bunch of buttons, modes, which tone pattern works best where! Just turn on and go!

Astute post! I guess it would be very appropriate to state that if you want that science and technology, you better be prepared to deal with learning that science and technology! And there remains a great deal to be said about just being able to turn it on and go. Hmmmm..... I should pull my Fisher 1260X out, I've been ignoring it :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions