Garret Pinpointer vs Minelab Propointer

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab can switch of the noise, has adjustable sensitivity, the vibration isn't as hard as the Garrett. I have both and pretty much use them both merely depending on my mood. If I use the Garrett where I don't wish to make noise I tape over the speaker hole. I'd like to try the new White's, they seem to be getting good reviews, but I'm not sure if that's just from die-hard White's guys or not. You can also adjust the Garrett's sensitivity using the "coin" or "ring" trick, but the Minelab has a switch to do so.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ML Pro-Find is more expensive. It's vibration mode isn't all that strong and neither is the audio on full. It's not waterproof so no dunking in the water. The sound holes are tiny but can fill with mud and then sound fades dramatically. It's not particularly sensitive - some other brands get more depth (some people don't want too much depth, so it depends). I don't like the belt-pouch - rides too high and requires too much effort to use. All in all, my opinion is that pin-pointers are cheap to make and can be sold at high mark-ups - they make money for the manufacture. They should be better.

The White's Bullseye TRX Pin-pointer is worth a look - but not waterproof.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both the GPP and the Pro-Find 25. I still have the Garrett, but sold the Minelab because even at max sensitivity, it did not seem to get at deep as the Garrett. Also, the Minelab had a tendency to false when facing downward at max sensitivity.

I recently purchased the TRX, and my initial testing was very positive. I like its sensitivity settings, and especially its ability to ratchet sensitivity on the fly. And the ability to use 2 AAs is a nice feature. FYI I am not a "White's guy" in that the TRX is their only product that I own.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, I just read a report of a TRX tester that accidently dropped his putting it back in the holster. It was dropped from belt height, and cracked the outer case, so he's waiting for a replacement.
I've personally had enough of the Garrett's and was going to buy the TRX, but if it can't survive a 3ft drop it's off the list and I'll go for the ProFind instead.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW, I just read a report of a TRX tester that accidently dropped his putting it back in the holster. It was dropped from belt height, and cracked the outer case, so he's waiting for a replacement.
I've personally had enough of the Garrett's and was going to buy the TRX, but if it can't survive a 3ft drop it's off the list and I'll go for the ProFind instead.

I can see that happening, because it definitely feels lighter than the Garrett, despite being larger, so I'm left to assume that the outer shell is a lot thinner than most.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that happening, because it definitely feels lighter than the Garrett, despite being larger, so I'm left to assume that the outer shell is a lot thinner than most.

I have measured the case thickness and so have others and the Gpp and the TRX are the same thickness. In appearance it looks to me that the Gpp is made of recycled plastic and the TRX is not. I have dropped mine twice from waist high on to the cement/asphalt and had no ill effects. I will also say that my Minelab definitely goes deeper than the Gpp when tuned to the top setting. The Vulcan comes in next followed by the TRX as being the deepest of the three.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have measured the case thickness and so have others and the Gpp and the TRX are the same thickness. In appearance it looks to me that the Gpp is made of recycled plastic and the TRX is not. I have dropped mine twice from waist high on to the cement/asphalt and had no ill effects. I will also say that my Minelab definitely goes deeper than the Gpp when tuned to the top setting. The Vulcan comes in next followed by the TRX as being the deepest of the three.

Ok so just to be clear. Deepest
1. Trx
2. Vulcan
3. Minelab
4 Garrett

Is that correct?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Trx
2. Vulcan
3. Minelab
4 Garrett

Is that correct?

Possibly if you are talking air test. I know for a fact that the Minelab is not as deep as the Garrett in real world situations, at least here in my Michigan ground.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that there a few other pin pointers that might be better than the 4 listed here. Has anyone done a full comparison of all the ones on the market from the cheapy Harbor Freight stuff all the way up to the Uniprobe and Sun Ray? How does the Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Nokta, Accufind, Detector Pro, Vibraprobe, etc, compare? I've used a few of them and so far, the Uniprobe seems to be the best for me. The Vibraprobe works great too if you need a waterproof one. It's a bit bulky for park use but it's well built and great for muddy hunts since you can just hose it off. Same with the Uniprobe. the wand and cable are waterproof so you can wash it off easily. The nice thing about the Uniprobe (besides the excellent depth) is that the sound goes through your headphones so no need to remove them to hear a hand held pin pointer. If you already have one that vibrates, that might not be a big enough selling point to make you switch though. So far quality has been excellent on both of them....no breakdowns, or returns for any reason so far. I've used both of them a couple of times a week for about 2 years now. Of course, my 23 year old TinyTec has never failed me either! :laughing7:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Trx
2. Vulcan
3. Minelab
4 Garrett

Is that correct?

Yes that is my findings and that is with many hours of use. No nickel tricks just set to the max sensitivity and go with it.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any recommendations for a waterproof pinpointer? I had an earlier model of Vibraprobe (540 I think) - but it couldn't detect a dime past 3/4".

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their newest version get about 3" in good ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread