Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But what is the advantage in going all metal on my 505? I've just now learned my " numbers" and sounds on my X-Terra but we are going today to an area that has been hunted pretty heavily and my mister says I should go all metal. I have set my detector to all metal mode before and I just don't get it,it constantly beeps and has numbers on the display without ever really settling on one target number ID. I just don't see the advantage in running in all metal.

Last edited:

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By hearing everything, nothing is missed during a null for one thing.
It also teaches you to slow down to proper sweep speed, to enable you to isolate and ID each hit, again so that you don't miss anything good.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
ya dicriminations is for girls lol oh wait oops. seriously tho longhair and ur mister is right. just slow ur roll and u will seperate the tones then u can short swing it to get a solid id

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
By "seeing" more you may miss less. If your familiar with iron readings and their solid it may be an option to pass on them. Minelab ehh? Nice. With my Garretts iron is readily known but sometimes there is a hint of something blended that chirps a whisper of high tone in part of the swing.They stick on big iron and null to long trying to not focus on it when I have much discriminated out and I lose coverage of that area,(can be a foot or more) unless I start adjusting settings to where their not wanted for coin or jewelry shooting. One time was two nails and a Merc sharing dirt when that whisper of high tone was in the middle of the low iron honk. A nail on end with head exposed is more solid but fools me for a coin sometimes maybe for its auras shape.. Worth it for a try though. We experiment and sometimes get a surprise.

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine in all metal with the 99 tones and you start to pick up little hints on things you wouldn't notice before like what a silver quarter sounds like on its side or lying above or below a rusty bent nail. IMO its the best way to hear what the machine is trying to tell you. Im not sure if this is true but it seems you can hear the deeper burried tones a little better in all metal, usually its just a soft beep but seems a little louder in all metal but that may just be me. Also i dig less junk in all metal since you can really tell what is a iron wrap around signal vs thinking you are finding silver dollars every swing. the noturious 48 TID want haunt you as much.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advantage to going all metal is basically go hero mode on any area. Your probably going to dig it all. Especially in a heavily hunted area. The X terra is a good machine, played with one a few times, and unless you slow way down all metal can be a nuisance. Gotta keep you eye on the VDI and pay attention to the tones. If you are not comfortable with operating open like that just pick your best settings and go. Make it a competition. :)
In all metal you really must slow down. If your only just learning the machine then this may be a good opportunity to use this very sensitive function. Again go slow :) Use pin point to separate targets and get used to a jumpy VDI. Solid targets don't jump much.
Luck.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forgot about this thread. I guess what I'm asking is will I miss deeper targets by not going all metal? I want to get the most out if my detector but AM is very frustrating to me. I generally try and go slow anyway. I have learned what a good tone is with setting number 1 and 2, never use 3.The numbers jump so fast and I guess I can't figure out when the heck to try and pinpoint in this mode. May practice in my back yard with it before I use it IRL.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stand to miss shallow targets as well as deep ones running in any Disc pattern. It is too easy to sweep too fast. You need to go slow enough that the audio doesn't overload your brain. The idea is go slow enough to be able to isolate and examine each hit. If it's not possible to do, because the tones are still coming too fast, then you really need a smaller and/or DD coil that will separate targets better and enable you to hear each target individually.

When trying to learn AM some find it easier with fewer tones. Try 3 or 4 tones to make it less overwhelming, and just focus on the higher tones to start with.

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Longhair,thanks for the tip on using fewer tones,maybe that is what I was missing in how to understand AM,I'll try that,four tones and just keep my eye on the numbers then.

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless the sight has a lot of trash, all AM should not be a problem. I agree with the others about slowing down your sweep. If you get brain overload, try using pattern 1, but it a good idea to always use as little disc as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread