Anyone familiar with Sunray Coils...Stealth X-5 or X-8

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Does anyone had information on the Stealth X-5 or X-8 coils from Sunray.

Could be good or bad.

I am looking for a few smaller coils like the X-5 and X-8.

I only have 3 coils for my Minelab SE.

I have the standard 10.5" Slimline Coil mine came with, the 11.5" ProCoil.

I also have the 5" Excelerator EX2 Pro DD Coil.

As far as the 5" Excelerator...that thing is almost complete garbage as far as I'm concerned.

I can point to only a few coins that I have dug at ranges deeper than 3" with it. I am unable to find coins in the 5-6" range with it. I am not impressed by that coil at all.

My buddy Jim has the Stealth X-5...and it seems like he easily digs coins in the 6" range. He has the first Explorer.

Can this be expected with a Minelab SE PRO?

I hunt a lot of house sites and farm fields. I am looking for something that is a little smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable to get through the garbage, but also not lose my ability to find coins in the 6"+ range.

If the X-5 can detect pennies/dimes CONSISTENTLY in the 5-6" range...I'd be thrilled.
If the X-8 can detect pennies/dimes CONSISTENTLY in the 6-8" range...I'd be thrilled.

If you have thoughts on this...please let me know. I'd probably buy both of these coils if they met those criteria.

Thanks, Chuck

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 8" Sunray for my Safari and it is all I use for coin hunting. It will easily hit a dime at 7" even with my sensitivity turned way down to decrease chatter in trashy areas. They come up used on ebay fairly often and that is where I got mine at a good savings. I think you will love it!!

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Great. Thanks. Hoping maybe I can find a good deal. I have no problem buying new from Ralph at Sunray, but if I could get a good deal on a used one I'd certainly try it.

Chuck

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both good coils, and either should do well what you wish for them to do. Another option for a small coil is the 6" Treasureseeker from Coiltek. I have one to try but haven't yet found the time, but I suspect it will be a little deeper and have a bit better target ID than the X5. And as a plus, it's cheaper than the Sunray. :)

wildherre

Greenie
Mar 29, 2009
NW Induana
Detector(s) used
Omega, V3i, Explorer, Etrac, CTX
The 6" Excelerator is the one to have and the 6X8 sef is top gun in the mid sized range... The 6" equals the performance of of the X5 at a bargain price & the 6x8 has great depth & separation & hits deeper & harder than the X8...Not a fan of Kellyco but just the way it is.... wildherre

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the S-5 and S-8 on my Minelab Excalibur. I really like the little S-5, the amount of depth, even the Halo of the coil can be adjusted by playing with the sensitivity. So areas the targets are on top of each other I adjust the sensitivity all the way down and you can really pick in between, then once I get in a area where there are less I open it up for more depth. One thing also the s-5 is 5.5 inch's.

Now the S-8 I like also and the depth is very good, but this is at the beach were depths can be much deeper then land....I do like the stock minelab 7.25 BBS coil better then the Sunray 8 but my time on the S-8 is a lot less so maybe in time I will see more.

The SEF's are hot coils, I know many swear by the 10 x 12 for the sovereign...so wildherre could have your perfect coil

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be looking at the Coiltek coils too.
Coiltek and Minelab have a cooperative agreement that gives them access to a little more "inside information", not to mention that they're also HOT coils that are very well built.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
My buddy Jim has the Stealth X-5...and it seems like he easily digs coins in the 6" range. He has the first Explorer.

Can this be expected with a Minelab SE PRO?

If I were you, I'd try your friends earlier model Explorer with your 5" Excelerator. This will tell you a lot, hopefully. Or better yet, give him the 5" Excelerator for him to test on his detector.

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I will probably let my buds try out my EXcelerator 5" with their earlier model explorers.

I just received my Stealth X-5 Coil from Sunray today. I will most likely give it a try tonight. I'm just hoping to dig a few deeper targets than I did with my 5" EXcelerator.

Thanks for all of the replies.

DH24

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I took the coil out last Thursday, the night it came in.

I took it to a corn field where an old house once stood.

I just started hitting this spot a few weeks ago and have only found 2 coins, a 1859 Canadian Large Cent and an 1867 Shield Nickel...both of which were literally an inch deep or less. There are concentrations of Iron, of course from nails, farming stuff, etc. I just would get a lot of nulling with the stock coil.

Anyway, I tried the X-5 out there, but I only had an hour.

The VERY FIRST target that I dug turned out to be a 1951 D Roosevelt Dime. And it was 5" deep and gave a very solid reading. I was much more impressed with that the other small coils I've used.

DH24

roadapple

Nov 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sun Ray Stealth coils are fantastic coils! You will find out for yourself after using the x5 some more. I have all three X5, X8 and X12 and like them alot. Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread