How I ended up with a Minelab and never looked back!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back 10 years ago, i had decided to buy a White's DFX. I had made up my mind and drove to a local dealer in Pa. When I got there, he proceeded to talk me out of the DFX and wanted me to buy the next in line detector. I was literally ready to plunk my money down on that DFX. Well being a person who doesn't like when someone throws me a curveball after I've made up my mind - I left without any detector at all. At the time, I was looking at a site where Minelab and White's both had a Forum (where I met Jeff of Pa and IronPatch). So I started to notice the finds and posts that were being made by the Explorer crew on that site. The more I read about the machine, the more convinced i became with my engineering background mindset, that this was the machine I was destined to purchase. And so I got the Explorer II. It was the absolute best decision that i ever made regarding a metal detector purchase. With this machine, I found deeper coins and older coins than I ever found before coin hunting. And I've been out with guys who had the DFX and found coins that they passed right over. Old coins, deep coins. Now I think the DFX is a fine machine and much can depend on the actual user of that machine, but I am sold on Minelab. That's my Minelab story and I'm sticking to it!

This is designed for the Minelab Forum and not intended for a pencil fight with any other brand users. It is just a fact as I see it. IMO based on my experience in the field - pure and simple.

1723 Spanish Two Reale
1786, 1787 & 1789 Spanish One reales (two at 10” deep)
Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) at 12” deep
Liberty Cap Copper with no date (1793-1796),
Draped Bust Copper (with no date)
1796 Draped Bust Copper
1807 Draped Bust Copper
1809 CAPPED BUST DIME
1854 Seated Quarter
1901 Barber Quarter.
1870’s and 1880’s Indian heads

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My E-Trac got these today, I am a happy camper now!
7_14_2014 dynamic duo dirte.jpg

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool! darn thing would not let me post pics!

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used quite a few different brand detectors and always find coins in spots I have hunted before. Doesn't make the machine your using better it could of been just ground changes from frost, moisture in ground ETC ETC. I have also ran machines side by side and one machine would find the target and the other wouldn't also one machine could hit the nickel and the other couldn't but in another spot the machines would reverse.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I see you list using the CTX-3030 - Now Only $2,499.00. So I wonder why you paid that much for a
metal detector if you believe what you just said, or are you really a MD dealer with multiple brands or some such?
These comparisons were done in the field, during the same time period, in summer or Fall when there is no
frost to factor into the equation. Better technology and a better machine does find deeper coins. All machines
are not equal - you plunking down $2500 for one speaks for itself. I stand by my statement.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sold it so your post means nothing to me.

well likewise because it is mostly dealers who are using a $2,499.00 unit IMO and then just selling it. Easy for them to give it a test trial etc.
BTW that treasureturf.com seems defunct.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back 10 years ago, i had decided to buy a White's DFX. I had made up my mind and drove to a local dealer in Pa. When I got there, he proceeded to talk me out of the DFX and wanted me to buy the next in line detector. I was literally ready to plunk my money down on that DFX. Well being a person who doesn't like when someone throws me a curveball after I've made up my mind - I left without any detector at all. At the time, I was looking at a site where Minelab and White's both had a Forum (where I met Jeff of Pa and IronPatch). So I started to notice the finds and posts that were being made by the Explorer crew on that site. The more I read about the machine, the more convinced i became with my engineering background mindset, that this was the machine I was destined to purchase. And so I got the Explorer II. It was the absolute best decision that i ever made regarding a metal detector purchase. With this machine, I found deeper coins and older coins than I ever found before coin hunting. And I've been out with guys who had the DFX and found coins that they passed right over. Old coins, deep coins. Now I think the DFX is a fine machine and much can depend on the actual user of that machine, but I am sold on Minelab. That's my Minelab story and I'm sticking to it!

This is designed for the Minelab Forum and not intended for a pencil fight with any other brand users. It is just a fact as I see it. IMO based on my experience in the field - pure and simple.

1723 Spanish Two Reale
1786, 1787 & 1789 Spanish One reales (two at 10” deep)
Nova Constellatio with no date (1783-1786) at 12” deep
Liberty Cap Copper with no date (1793-1796),
Draped Bust Copper (with no date)
1796 Draped Bust Copper
1807 Draped Bust Copper
1809 CAPPED BUST DIME
1854 Seated Quarter
1901 Barber Quarter.
1870’s and 1880’s Indian heads

Glad you like the Minelab metal detectors! We do too! ;) Impressive to say the least!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love my X-terra and I'm a relative newbie so to speak but I'm finding that machine can keep up with much more expensive and popular brands of the day. I like it because of its ease of use and I'm glad you are happy with yours as well.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A decade on your Minelab,you would be digging blindfolded behind me for my misses if you wanted. :laughing7: Great you are working with it so well and made a choice that is so agreeable for you.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time sure goes fast doesn't it. .... got my XS in 2000.

My friend the Patriot on this site, first met a bunch of us at a dig we did 10 or so years ago. He was fairly new, had a DFX, but by that time I had converted a lot of the boys to the Explorer, and the Patriot followed suit. Even that seems like forever ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread