Anyone make a rechargable batt pack xterra? How about a 14KH coil?

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id love to grab an RNB pack for an xterra but don't see one? Anyone know if theres a custom builder out there?
Is also like to try a 14kh coil? If enough of us asked coiltek would they make some? Is there a custom coil maker?
PS, Im fairly new so these questions may be elementary if so, sorry..
Most of us just use AA NiMH rechargeables. No need for a "pack". And rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries are a no-no.
The Xterra runs 18.75kHz, 7.5kHz, and 3kHz ONLY. It is not possible to make a 14kHz coil for it, nor would there be a market for one. It has no special benefit in terms of frequency.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I heard your very knowledgable so ima pick your mind if ya don't mind. My questions were asked because RNB battery manufacturer says he has increased performance of machines through added Battery power and another member here said using a Unity gain amp to conserve power for coil use produces depth. As far as the KH I'm guessing the xterra is factory set to accept 3, 7.5 and 18.75. As for a need for 14, I like the sensitivity of the 18.75 on jewelry but finding tiny pieces of confetti hitting hard at 8 makes me want something a little less sensitive. We go 3 to 7.5 then jump to 18.75. I know a lot of XP deuce owners run at 14kh, I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about how metal detectors and frequencies work cause I don't. I just printed Randy's 100 page book and will begin reading it today and hopefully get an understanding of what the machines are doing. I have hundreds of hrs on the 18.75 coil and less than 1hr on a 7.5kh so I'm not sure how small of jewelry it will find. But I just found a .7 band Sunday I think I'll test the 7.5 out on it in some soil. Thanks for any advice/knowledge you share. I'm sure you can tell I'm green.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines may benefit from RNB's packs, but Minelab performance isn't changed by them. The only benefit is longer use time between charging. A good set of 3500mAh rechargeable AA's last longer than I'll hunt in a day with an Xterra.
Coil size also plays a big part in sensitivity to smaller targets.
Google "George Payne" and you'll find reference to which frequencies are optimum for various metals.

Read and re-read Randy's book. Pay particular attention to the illustration of target segment bin widths relative to the frequency used. You'll see that they are virtually uniform with the 7.5kHz coils, so they are good all-around coils as well as being considered to be the most honest. As a result the 7.5kHz coils are often used as a benchmark.

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backstrap, Longhair is the resident expert on anything XTerra- his advice is always something you can bank on.

Battery wise, I have one customer who swears by his Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeables. He gets great run time from them (can't remember what he told me, sorry).

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was long that was talked about. I so appreciate his advice and time. So I put about 4hrs on the 7.5DD 10" and agree 14kh what... I don't think I noticed a different on small slaw and junk targets, foil etc compared to the 18.75. My city has been pounded for silver so my only hope is a good sensitivity for small gold and the 7.5 has it. I did notice a depth increase. I think all I need now it the 15"3.5 6"3.5 and the Xterra line up will be complete. I went straight to pages 40-50. Thanks again longhair.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Id love to grab an RNB pack for an xterra but don't see one? Anyone know if theres a custom builder out there?
Is also like to try a 14kh coil? If enough of us asked coiltek would they make some? Is there a custom coil maker?
PS, Im fairly new so these questions may be elementary if so, sorry..

Not yet, keep your fingers crossed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread