need some advice from the experts....

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
ok, i recently got my x-terra 50, and i LOVE it... but since i want to wade, it wouldnt be a problem for me to waterproof the housing and have at it... BUT I decided to go with a better detector for the salt and sell the x50..
so on to my question, since the gt and the excal have the same guts, and the only difference is the waterproof.. should i save the money and get a gt and water proof it (i dont do any diving, just would be checking in the surf and 80% be in the sand out of the water) or go detectorless for awhile till i save enough for the excal... after doing research and seeing that everyone says the gt and excal are the same, and i wont need to adjust on the fly once i have my settings, i think the best route is to get the gt and put it in a waterproof housing.. any advice would be great.. because thats a big price difference...

thanks

G

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give gravediggermax-vabeachva a shout he has worked with waterproofing an earlier explorer and seems to work great. He can prob give you some good advice.

OP
OP
G

GuANu

Mar 11, 2007
Panama City Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, X-Terra 50
yeah, i've seen what he did and that looks good.. but what i would do is a little more involved due to trying to keep weight up and use a smaller waterproof box.. i'd take the circuitry out of the stock housing and make some supports to hold it all in a smaller box and not have to use the stock housing in a waterproof box.. should drop the weight and be able to use a smaller box.. possibly even make a seperate battery pack so i can have detector on one side of belt, and battery pack on the other side, to equalize weight and just use a belt.... yeah, a little over the top, but thats what i enjoy doing.. i'm a electronics hound.. I honestly dont believe i own one piece of electronics that i have not taken apart and/or modified in some fashon..

thanks!

G

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GT has a couple features the Excal doesn't and would make a fine beach detector. Since you know electronics you can go at it. However it would be best to wait till the warranty ran out. I don't know it Minelab would attempt to repair it if something wore out or was defective. Best to call them and ask first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions