Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, by far this is not a final review for the coiltek 15" all terrain, just my first few initial findings. Took it to a large open field, performed well and covers lots of ground. Nice solid signal on 1821 large cent at 8" deep. Very little chatter in this inland soil. Now, for mineralized beach sand this is a whole other ballgame. Performed ok in dry sand, need a SLOW sweep on deeper smaller targets such as dimes and pennies. A bit too fast and I can hear only a short crisp chirp, sometimes even a broken signal, but just enough info to warrant slowing sweep speed down based on your conductive or ferrous number displayed. Larger coins not an issue, good solid signals. Now, in wet sand in gets interesting. I began getting lots of chatter, which is unusual for my safari, at least with the stock 11" coil. So much so that I had to tweak the sensitivity down 2 or 3 notches. Once I did that, she stabilized well and still did ok finding coins deep and shallow. Pinpointing is a real learning curve which I haven't yet got a full grasp on but I'm sure will come in time. One thing that did really bug me is when I got a good signal and began to dig, I'd dump the sand off to the side and then wave the coil over the fresh dug wet sand. The signals went berserk again for some reason, as if the minerals in the sand had become disturbed and dispersed and caused the extra chatter. Not happy about that because it made for zeroing in on my actual target difficult. I'm guessing that like with any other new toy, I'll learn it's characteristics in time. Will post another review in a couple months.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine does fine inland but get it on a saltwater beach in wet sand and it's a learning curve.

ohmygato

Greenie
Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious to find out how your coil performs on an Explorer rather than a Safari (not sure if it would be the exact same coil or one that's built for the Explorer). I have the Coiltek 15" coil on my Explorer and it is perfectly stable in the wet sand. It does pick up more junk including mineralization but it is still stable. Maybe the Safari has a different processor which does not get along well with the larger Coiltek in mineralization.

OP
OP
lisfisher

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i may be mistaken but I remember reading somewhere that the safari, explorer and etrac all have the same circuitry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread