Minelab E Trac Dust Cover Question

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Im looking to buy a cover for my new e trac.

Heres my question:

Does the MINELAB brand dust cover get in the way of the buttons??
From the pics ive looked at it looks like the elastic material rides up the handle just a little too far and impedes on the pinpoint button. So im calling out to you guys? Do yall like the cover or would you recommend a different one? The cover im talking about is the actual minelab brand for the e trac that sells for around $45.

Thanks Guys.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look on ebay for E Trac covers you will see a complete 3 pc set in camo for $52 shipped from the Ukraine. I just bought the set an it is great. real good quality and it took just over a week to get it and with 2 Holidays thrown in also.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I probably can't elaborate on the pinpoint button being covered because I only used a cover on my Etrac for a short while. I bought the Sun ray cover which does the job. The problem that I have with both Etrac and CTX covers (I've used two different ones for the CTX) is that they attract dust and obscure the readings on the detector. I guess from a standpoint of protecting the display from scratches, they probably work, but you still get dust under the cover on the display and because they do not hold close to the display, it makes it harder to read.

I did have a Minelab X-terra cover for the 705 that held closer and seemed to work better, but I still had some of the same problems described above.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,

Im looking to buy a cover for my new e trac.

Heres my question:

Does the MINELAB brand dust cover get in the way of the buttons??
From the pics ive looked at it looks like the elastic material rides up the handle just a little too far and impedes on the pinpoint button. So im calling out to you guys? Do yall like the cover or would you recommend a different one? The cover im talking about is the actual minelab brand for the e trac that sells for around $45.

Thanks Guys.

I tell all my customers to go to zagg.com. They make a screen overlay for the e-trac that works great and you can still see the screen. It is what is on mine. I do not like the whole housing cover. You can not see the screen.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the ZAGG screen protector. The covers get in the way too much.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the cover's from the ukraine that are on the auction site....I sold them and went with
the ZAGG.....Now I can see the screen..

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your original question, the covers don't impede the operation of the pinpoint button. But as everyone has noted, it makes the screen hard to see and doesn't necessarily keep dirt from getting trapped between the screen and cover. Of course if you are like a lot of us, there isn't much time spent looking at the screen anyway! :)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am cheap, Ziplock qt bag, cut off the ziplock, pulled tight against screen, folded on the back of the detector head with two small pieces of tape to hold it nice and tight, then a Velcro strap like sold to secure coil wire against shaft under detector head to hold baggie secure.

The baggie is thin you can see through it easily, adjust your buttons easily and its remarkably cheap.

OP
OP
T

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for all the responses it helps a lot...Happy New Year!

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How well is the etrac sealed against dirt getting on the internals? I have only used my Etrac for a few hours now but with the ground soupy, a little mud dried between the handle and the housing. I toothpicked most out. Is this a concern? If its raining id be using the AT pro so not concerned with water
I want to get a sunray cover but it seems like there isnt a trusty site I can buy direct from sunray.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How well is the etrac sealed against dirt getting on the internals? I have only used my Etrac for a few hours now but with the ground soupy, a little mud dried between the handle and the housing. I toothpicked most out. Is this a concern? If its raining id be using the AT pro so not concerned with water
I want to get a sunray cover but it seems like there isnt a trusty site I can buy direct from sunray.

I got the Zagg, screen protector, then bought a Sunray cover, from Keith, at Fort Bedford Detectors,to protect the whole control box have not been in the field with it yet, but have done plenty of menu, and key pad functions inside, with no problems..............come on Spring!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the Zagg, screen protector, then bought a Sunray cover, from Keith, at Fort Bedford Detectors,to protect the whole control box have not been in the field with it yet, but have done plenty of menu, and key pad functions inside, with no problems..............come on Spring!!

When your in the field and the sun is not directly on it you will see what we mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread