Searchdeep

Jul 6, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody else have a problem with these headphones being too quiet? I contacted DetectorPro and all they said was sorry but the speaker elements in the under water headphone are not as loud as others. I believe others should try these headphones out in person before you spend $175.00 because you won't get any help from DetectorPro.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the Piezo buzzer is not the best when it comes to loud. I will not sell them to anyone with a CTX unless they demand them, but the good is there design is much better as far as comfort and audio tone, over the stock yellows. And they stay on your head when hit by a wave.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When there is water in the headphones the sound is transmitted to your ear better so having them louder could damage your hearing some. If you are having trouble hearing maybe the damage has already been done.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to state the obvious but do you have your volume turned up (and the volume limit turned off)?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes The Grey Ghost on the Explorer (not Water proof) headphones are also too Quiet for me.
they told me it is because both the headphones and the detector have built in volume limiters
and work to double the limitations :dontknow:
(not sure if I explained that Properly)
because of this I do not trust DetectorPro or any company that puts
sound protection limiters in their headphones any more.
the on off switch for the limiter is also useless when these headphones are used on Minelabs.

Only (defunct company)Troy Headphones and Treasure Wise Metal Detecting Headphones have given me good loud volume on explorers.

a good high quality overpriced pair of KOSS May work.

not sure what to suggest for under water, unless you can get Minelab or DetectorPro to remove their sound limiter junk from their product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Searchdeep

Searchdeep

Jul 6, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to state the obvious but do you have your volume turned up (and the volume limit turned off)?

I have a set of the Koss that are for dry, they sound great but don't fit well. I have a set of Black Widows that are for dry use, they sound great and feel great. The only headphone I have that are water proof are the Gray Ghost Under Water but they are not loud enough to hear anything unless maybe scuba diving which I don't do.

Thanks just wanted to get others opinions and make other aware that they are quiet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones....Both my excals have them.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Last edited:

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was disappointed with the Grey Ghost audio (like everyone else) but it was the only choice. With wind blowing, surf crashing, planes flying overhead you can't hear a weaker target. I'm sure the company knows about the problem, but as is often the case, some companies don't have the integrity to fix their design flaw. It could also use a couple more feet of audio cord so you can stand up with the detector still on the ground. I'm always amazed by products that have stupid design flaws that could be easily fixed but never are.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was disappointed with the Grey Ghost audio (like everyone else) but it was the only choice. With wind blowing, surf crashing, planes flying overhead you can't hear a weaker target. I'm sure the company knows about the problem, but as is often the case, some companies don't have the integrity to fix their design flaw. It could also use a couple more feet of audio cord so you can stand up with the detector still on the ground. I'm always amazed by products that have stupid design flaws that could be easily fixed but never are.

Yes I talked direcetly to a Technician about the Problem, a couple days after Purchasing a pair & being very Disappointed :( His only response was as I said.
He told me The Explorers have a Volume limiter same as the headphones.
so even if you try to turn the headphone switch off, your still Limited.

Funny thing though, If that's the Whole reason, Why do cheap $20.00 Treasure Wise Headphones Blast through
like they should ?

& your right !
I don't think DetectorPro Cares. they didn't even offer a refund.
It's all about the Noise Nazis complaining they may get ear damage :(

so if you have less then perfect hearing,
and own an Explorer or Higher end Minelab ... Beware DetectorPro

Last edited:
OP
OP
Searchdeep

Searchdeep

Jul 6, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones....Both my excals have them.

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

It sounds like they fixed the problem with the Amphibians. Here is what the Gray Ghost Amphibians say in their description.

"Radical redesign of the traditional method of waterproofing wired connections on Piezo transducers: All underwater headphones use a Piezo type "buzzer" speaker system because land use paper speakers would disintegrate after getting submerged. However, the tonality of the piezo system is unfortunately compromised due to the piezo being dampened with silicone to waterproof the connections... Actually degrading the "buzzing" action of the Piezo. We developed a waterproof "sound box" for the Piezo and the connections are internal. The Piezo will then deliver its full range of audio rivaling land use paper speakers. Our headphone takes the place of BOTH stock land headphones (that came with your detector) and the after-market Garrett "blue phones" Now you can use just one quality set of headphones for ALL your detecting needs."

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And where can you buy the updated Gray Ghost Amphibians (with the volume knob) for the CTX?

I've not found them sold anywhere for the CTX (outside a few garage mods).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call Kellyco, they do work on CTX....

― James Madison

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And where can you buy the updated Gray Ghost Amphibians (with the volume knob) for the CTX?

People that have the Amphibians for the CTX have modified them or had them modified with a CTX connector.....I've gone through 2 pair of Amphibians that I modified with the connector and both have failed....one was one of the original type, the volume control leaked and they needed to be rebuilt.... the second pair was the "new improved sound chamber" for the piezo speakers.....one of those leaked and failed inside of two months of heavy use snorkel detecting..... both sets had the same volume problem. Amphibians on an Excal give great volume.....not on a CTX!

Treasure Hunter, when did Kellyco start working on the CTX? news to me......good news if so! I know they work on the Excal's after warranty.

Cliff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It
People that have the Amphibians for the CTX have modified them or had them modified with a CTX connector.....I've gone through 2 pair of Amphibians that I modified with the connector and both have failed....one was one of the original type, the volume control leaked and they needed to be rebuilt.... the second pair was the "new improved sound chamber" for the piezo speakers.....one of those leaked and failed inside of two months of heavy use snorkel detecting..... both sets had the same volume problem. Amphibians on an Excal give great volume.....not on a CTX!

Treasure Hunter, when did Kellyco start working on the CTX? news to me......good news if so! I know they work on the Excal's after warranty.

Cliff

Sorry, I was thinking Garrett GTX, I don't have a CTX, but the cord can be modified to work. OBN has done it I believe and I'm sure Barry can, I will reach out to Barry to be sure and let you know, kellyco is closed now......

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

If you have a CTX you don't want the GGA's...They are perfect on the Excalibur..

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi OBN, happy to meet you on this US forum :thumbsup:

You have sent me a mod for my GGUW headphones for the Excal...but will this mod still function on my CTX?

I mainly use my detectors for scuba diving, I'm looking for bone conductive earphones, used by Aquascan, Elbinger....... any experience ?

1406-2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions