Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
    CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
    1118 times
    Scuba detection, romans and grec relics, old & new gold
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Make a real waterproof CTX 3030 - scuba diving experience!

You've bought a fantastic Waterproof CTX 3030 for beach and Shallow hunting, but after a few hunts you have experienced battery leaking or USB leaks....

I've tried to escape from sending my CTX 3030 to Minelab repair center and love to use my CTX with a bit of water around

With this mod, Don't forget to turn "Seawater ON"....

My bulletproof CTX3030 ready for scuba diving: no battery leak, hassle free solution

Rainy weather in feb with CTX 3030 on the Med sea

CTX3030 is ready to dive along with the scuba tanks, waiting on the boat

Don't come back to your old Excalibur to hunt your favorit spots and most important,
    STOP using your CTX for your home needs beacuse you're now scared of shallow / underwater hunting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0597-2.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	1112037

For those who care about having a bulletproof waterproof CTX and forget about battery leak and USB cap:

Last scuba dive depth gauge track with CTX 3030: -12m (-40ft.)

Name:	ctx-usb-cap4.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	1108011

1/ Seal the USB Cap: + o'ring

Remove the cap protection to gain a few extra screw turns before the "removable" sealing process
    ONLY IF YOUR THREAD IS DEAD, otherwise leave it, you will place an additional o'ring

Name:	ctx-usb-cap1.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	363.2 KB 
ID:	1108013

Name:	ctx-usb-cap2.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	1108014

approx 20x2.5mm - 19,5x2.5mm is better

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG 
Views:	366 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1114398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0789.JPG 
Views:	333 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	1114399

Name:	1390946349.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1112022
    Seal with Loctite 5331, it's removable so you can use your USB port again, just have to clean and re-seal

Name:	ctx-usb-cap3.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	1108015

Name:	1390946588.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	1112023

2/ Get rid of the stock red gasket, throw it to the garbage and replace it by a "real o'ring"

Name:	IMG_0754.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1110286

NBR70, 79<80mm inner size, 2,5mm gauge

Name:	IMG_0790.JPG 
Views:	559 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	1114400

Better to use 79x2.5 or 79x2.65 ring then the 80*2.65 which is ok for shallow, but a little to wide for me.

USB cap: 20X2.90 WORKS FINE, but you can have 19.5x2.65 or 19.5x2.65 will be better, especially id you don't use the in cap ring anymore

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG 
Views:	413 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	1108016

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	1108018

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	1108019

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	1108020

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG 
Views:	455 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	1108021

Name:	IMG_0753.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1110062

Put some thin sillicon grease (like the one use for Excalibur Gaskets). As the 2,5mm gasket is much harder, it makes the battery pack lock harder as well, so no need to use security belt anymore.
    No need to retreive the gasket anymore, just clean it in place with a air compressor if you have one when you need to charge the batteries and put some new sillicon grease and that's it!
    Re-discover and enjoy your CTX 3030 for water gaming

Need to go deeper? Minelab Excalibur can be the solution
    Watch in 4K or HD if you can!!!

https://youtu.be/pOQPU41pTlI

I've uses a copyright music, so can't see from Germany and from certain devices, computer =OK
    Last edited by frogmaster-riviera; Jan 31, 2016 at 10:42 AM.
    MiamiFox, RustyGold, OBN and 9 others like this.

Scuba detection, relics and ++++ - Big fat Waterproof CTX 3030 Scuba from Minelab - Aquascan (Aquapulse) - DEUS - Minelab Excalibur II scuba diving - Follow me on Facebook | Google+ | Youtube

us
    Mar 2009
    United States
    CTX 3030, TDI SL
    1515 times
    Interesting. Will have to try it. Thanks for the info!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3422 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Excellent! Thank you!

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
    1118 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    i have to make a youtube video on it, how to properly service the CTX and how to make it hassle free.

Trust me it works fine, just keep in mind that I have bought a certain amount of O rings 2 years ago and I haven't note the exact size because I've tested them in the shop on my detecor! The inner size was correctly reported by users on forum based on my post.
    Last edited by frogmaster-riviera; Jan 24, 2015 at 01:06 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.

Scuba detection, relics and ++++ - Big fat Waterproof CTX 3030 Scuba from Minelab - Aquascan (Aquapulse) - DEUS - Minelab Excalibur II scuba diving - Follow me on Facebook | Google+ | Youtube

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4304 times
    Old Gold, New Gold, Any Gold
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow you are the French Mod king!! Nice work on that 3030, some Great ideas put to the test!! And Glad to see you over here on T Net, I hardly get to the other side to often.
    Prince Ferrando likes this.

Effort is Important, But knowing where to make an effort can make all the difference!

2017 .. Gold Rings 130..........Silvers 166

us
    Apr 2012
    East Coast
    Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF Whites Dual Field PI CTX 3030 Aquasound (custom made)
    265 times
    Are you kidding?? Everything else on the CTX is waterproof to a greater depth except these two things. Seems like Minelab would have published this information or actually spent a few extra cents and made the detector more waterproof if it is this simple. I have had my CTX leak twice so far, what a pain. Now I basically don't take it deeper than waist deep and am careful where I direct the hose when I am rinsing it off with fresh water. Thanks for the info. I will look into making the mods. I appreciate your research. Blessings and Happy Hunting. Beach Papa
    Prince Ferrando likes this.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    552 times
    Metal Detecting
    While this may be a great idea I would not do this to a CTX that is under factory warranty.

Looks like a great setup! I like it!
    lcollins and RustyGold like this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Whites Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Minelab_CTX-3030 Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    23335 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Frogmaster please do not attack members or sponsors..

Minelab will not honor warranty if detector is modified. If all signs of mod are removed before detector is sent in then Minelab will honor warranty ...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

When you legislate a person's rights away a piece at a time naive citizens don't notice...

The Patriot Act is anything but patriotic, denying citizens our freedoms and privacy in the lie of government security is allowing evil to win.. I will take my chances with the terrorists over tyranny...

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    1118 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Frogmaster please do not attack members or sponsors..

Minelab will not honor warranty if detector is modified. If all signs of mod are removed before detector is sent in then Minelab will honor warranty ...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

"I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused to this member, or sponsor, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."
    Last edited by frogmaster-riviera; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM.

us
    Jun 2006
    treasureturf.com
    CTX 3030
    158 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    How did you go about doing a pressure test on it to see how many feet it goes under water?

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    1118 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMeanie View Post
    How did you go about doing a pressure test on it to see how many feet it goes under water?
    Just made a live test, dive with it

us
    Honorary Goonie

Jul 2014
    NH
    Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1255 times
    Metal Detecting
    Frogmaster, do you have a thread or video that outlines what you have done with your Excal? I would love to see what you have done with yours.
    Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window.

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    1118 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hi Higgy,

I'm actually bulding a new one from an old new basis.

- Remote Pinponter with latching switch (lighted) on the handle of the Anderson shaft
    - Replacement of all endcaps by OBN's custom made ones to put some connectors used for :
    * Plug for Coil exchange (4 wires) - 3 coils, the Sov 8", the stock 10" and the Sov 15" WOT
    * Plug for Remote PP conectors (4 wires)
    * Plug for headphones and especially BONES EARPHONES, we are finding "the good solution" with OBN
    * Plug for battery replacement with 4S lipo + balanced plug (8 connectors) - 2250-2400mAh batts

I'll probably put and extra ON/OFF LED on the excalibur, and maybe some leds for the battery gauge as you never know the remaining power.

I will post some photo/videos of this MOD, but you can already have a look to OBN videos, you will find almost 99% of every possible mods on Excalibur. OBN is simply "Mr. Excalibur" worldwide.

My Excalibur Mod is just a "full MOD" version of what I have always wanted or imagine as an Escalibur user. Keep in mind that only quality matter, pricing is not an issue. The connectors that I use cost as much as the detector by it self. OBN has descent packages solutions I'm sure at an afordable price that will statisfy 99% of Excals users for sure.
    Last edited by frogmaster-riviera; Jan 29, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
    WildDigger likes this.

us
    mike

Jan 2009
    massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
    minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
    103 times
    I really liked your post on water proofing The ctx.I ordered o- rings on line got them today 2mm-79mm and they fit good with nice compression on latch. The part about the two o-rings on the sub port I did not understand what to do . Can you send me a note mham2@sssnet.com thanks Mike

ch
    Froggy

Oct 2014
    1118 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by mham2 View Post
    I really liked your post on water proofing The ctx.I ordered o- rings on line got them today 2mm-79mm and they fit good with nice compression on latch. The part about the two o-rings on the sub port I did not understand what to do . Can you send me a note mham2@sssnet.com thanks Mike
    You can even go with 2.65mm, you will have a better compression and won't hurt the lockers.

Concerning the USB ring, I had some reports that they is major flat spot on the thread of certain CTX. Mine have one but seems far more smaller and could be "glued" with the sealent

Name:	IMGP2229.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	1112687

I've ordered some o ring to make some try, but I think in this case it won't be a good idea to retrieve the stock USB cap gasket if you can (If your thread is still in good condition). An extra O-ring of 20mm - 21mm with a diamter of less then 3mm and more then 2.65 should solve the problem.

Let me check and I'll post a possible soltion as soon as I can.
    Last edited by frogmaster-riviera; Jan 29, 2015 at 05:14 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links