Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
Entering my 2nd year with the mighty ETrac.
Well, I just noticed I've had "recovery fast" on the entire first year.
I've been hunting the same site the entire time too. Dates from the 1830s - 1950s. Both coins and relics are found.
Question; What differences can I expect by turning "recovery fast" off?
I use a slightly modified A.Sabisch coin program.
Thanks
Peace ✌

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With shallow targets in a junky site, it might help a bit. Otherwise, I'd keep it off so you don't miss deep targets.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!
I'm seeking targets in the 7"-10" depth range.
I'll turn recovery fast off. I know I'm missing targets.
Peace ✌

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to minelab coin mode and check the fast and deep mode . It is off unless you change it.
Now go to minelab relic mode and check fast and deep they are both on. I have dug 6 coins at 14 inches deep and if the soil is bad than you might only get coins at 3 or 4 inches. If the Etrac threshold is blanking out while swinging than there is something in the ground and you won't get great depth.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fast On or Off ... tried various arrangements, but never found a noticeable difference.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fast On or Off ... tried various arrangements, but never found a noticeable difference.

Same here and I also didn't notice it on the CTX.

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Recovery: I usually hunt with FAST only. If it is really junky, FAST is the only way to hunt. If it is somewhat clean, you can go fast and deep on. FAST recovers quicker and gives quicker and short tones on a target. DEEP will draw it out a little bit. My opinion. Ky. ED.

mineslob

May 5, 2015
springfield ma
Detector(s) used
minelab etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read it won't change what the machine picks up, only the sounds. If you have recovery fast on the tones are quicker so you can locate targets easier if its trashy. Recovery deep basically adds volume to deeper signals to catch your ear. I would suggest getting used to one setting for the majority of hunting, switching only for specific situations. It's amazing how powerful a sense hearing is and your brain remembers more than you can tell. It's weird, I'll hear bleep bleep bleep and won't be able to tell the difference consciously but subconsciously I'll know one target is better than the other. But hey, maybe I'm just crazy...

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always liked deep on, fast off and swing slow..... And adjust the coil size to the site. More trash= smaller coil.

Thats just what worked for me.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably the odd ball on this but I run both on all the time (only time I have fast off is at the beach). I got the E-Trac when it first came out and I use to switch back and forth to check targets and really didn't see or hear much of a difference. Some say when you have fast on it chops off the tones a bit. My way of thinking is that once you've dug a ton of targets with your settings and have learned what to listen for it really doesn't matter. It all comes down to your detecting technique and listening for the tones you've learned. The bottom line is you do what you feel is the right thing for you and if you're going home with some keepers each time out you must be doing something right :thumbsup:. HH

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fast on degraded the signal and audio. Try it on a good solid target and see. I hate fast as it will make a decent good hit sound bad.

Dont like the deep either. Try bumping the gain if you want more sound on deep ones. I like to keep it simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread