Excalibur battery pack replacement / upgrade

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys!

Hope you can help me on this issue:

I want to replace the crapy Nimh stock battry pack of my Exclibur II for:

- ideal : 4S LifePo4 battery pack with connection balance (2 wires for +/- and 8 wires for each of the 4 cells) => 13.8/14.4V
- why not : Lipo battery pack 4S => 16.8V (maybe a bit too much) with connection balance (2 wires for +/- and 8 wires for each of the 4 cells)
- 3rd choice = 4x 18500 cells 1700mah (they fit in the pod) with only 2 connection for charging or 2 for wires and 8 wires for balance charging with a balance module that will fit into the pod
-last choice, an upgrade of the nimh minelab battery pack ...seen on ebay 1500mah modules... did someone found something else?

Thanks for your help guys!!!

FM

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bring it to "Batteries Plus" and they'll build whatever you like...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not buy one off of EBay.. I bought one for each of my 2 excals I have hunted 13 hours straight (dawn to dark) couple times and still had lots of power left..

1500mA NIMH BATTERY
FITS MINELAB EXCALIBUR II 2 / MADE IN USA
$40.00
+ Free Shipping

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not buy one off of EBay.. I bought one for each of my 2 excals I have hunted 13 hours straight (dawn to dark) couple times and still had lots of power left..

1500mA NIMH BATTERY
FITS MINELAB EXCALIBUR II 2 / MADE IN USA
$40.00
+ Free Shipping
I think you will need there charger also...if I remember correct..

I used a LiPo all last summer and the cost was about 150.oo for a good charger and the battery. The gain in performance is little if any at all, and the best benefit is the run time. About 4o to 45 hours on one charge, along with charge time being about 15 minutes for a full charge. A unused benefit was being able to charge off the car battery..or 12v Battery ..

OBN0148 (3).jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will charge with stock charger that comes with excal, just takes longer..... I bought 2 batteries and 1 charger, but have also used original charger when in a hurry to charge both at same time...

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks OBN and TH for your inputs.

If the battery regulator of the Excalibur can handle 16.8V (4S = 4cells)

I can use this one:
25515.jpg

ZIPPY Compact 2450mAh 4S 35C Lipo Pack
Spec.
Capacity: 2450mAh
Voltage: 4S1P / 4 Cell / 14.8V
Discharge: 35C Constant / 45C Burst
Weight: 265g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 114x34x32mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: HXT4mm

OBN :notworthy: shall we consider to use a 3S (12.8V peak) rather then a 4S battery pack ?

What do you think?

Whatever the case, I have ordered a 12 pin connector for the end cap battery pod.

* 2 Pins for power
* 8 pin for charging balance (8 pins use if 4S, 6 pins if 3S)
* 2 pins are remaning for on/off feature of an optional voltage displat screen inside the pod for example (need to be turned on when the Excals is on or simply turned on when it is connected to the main pod of the Excalibur:

http://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Arrival-Mini-Digital-DC-0-28inch-Two-Wire-LCD-Voltmeter-Gauge-Voltage-Detector/1037543_32270742761.html

New-Arrival-Mini-Digital-DC-0-28inch-Two-Wire-LCD-Voltmeter-Gauge-Voltage-Detector.jpg

New-Arrival-Mini-Digital-DC-0-28inch-Two-Wire-LCD-Voltmeter-Gauge-Voltage-Detector.jpg

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your gonna love that battery when all said and done. I had one for the GT. Zapped in 15 and lasts 45 hours. And a strong charge the whole time. hh gl -Joe

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a lipo

I have used lipoly batteries for at least 10 years, what i have found to be true for me. Is that charging thru the 2 output wire works just as well if not better, than using balance plug. Ive charged both ways, and check cells after charging. Its charges them too the same voltage. Most of my lipos are 10 years old and still hold full charge.

So using normal excal ikelite plug to charge and use lipo would work fine in my opinion. If you did find it a must to charge with balance plug, a 4 cell lipo needs 5 wires, as grounds are common and if you look at it the loads are common too.

Having said that i use lipo on soverign and just ordered a nimh 1500 for excal.
Because lipos do catch fire quickly if shorted, and I believe that salt water would short quickly

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Because lipos do catch fire quickly if shorted, and I believe that salt water would short quickly

??? i feel stupid. You are totally right. I only use my Exclibur for Scuba when I need to detect below 10-15m (-40/-50ft.)...

I won't use IKELITE connectors, but Fischers one (-3000ft waterproof) and OBN did a fantastic job : he had re created blank Exclibur end caps.

connecteur.jpg
bouchons exca.jpg

I was woundering what could happen at -60ft. for example if the battery pod of the Excalibur catch fire/smoke with the Lipo inside.. Don't think it will be a big deal with water pressure under... ? any thought?

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the 4s, and really the only one I have used...I'm in Connecticut and wish I had brought it along now. Can't touch the work time of those lipo's

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
??? i feel stupid. You are totally right. I only use my Exclibur for Scuba when I need to detect below 10-15m (-40/-50ft.)...

I won't use IKELITE connectors, but Fischers one (-3000ft waterproof) and OBN did a fantastic job : he had re created blank Exclibur end caps.

View attachment 1148180
View attachment 1148182

I was woundering what could happen at -60ft. for example if the battery pod of the Excalibur catch fire/smoke with the Lipo inside.. Don't think it will be a big deal with water pressure under... ? any thought?
My only thought is that at -60 feet or if a drop of sweat falls on it as you are removing it from the truck, why does an entire industry exist for its constant repair and modification?

What is it that they are using in most of the Fisher treasure hunting videos? It looks to be all coil and no control unit, What is that?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Custom mods exist because it is such a great detector..... I take my Excal for water hunting over any other detector.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Custom mods exist because it is such a great detector..... I take my Excal for water hunting over any other detector.

Amen!! I would feel lost without mine..

why does an entire industry exist for its constant repair and modification?
The last 3 days

OBN0431[1].jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Oh.... Ok.... I figured the repairs and custom mods exist because it is under innovated, overpriced and under built with a very specific demographic in mind.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh.... Ok.... I figured the repairs and custom mods exist because it is under innovated, overpriced and under built with a very specific demographic in mind.
You figured wrong.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

:laughing7: Take care to what you say on excaliburs Mods... especially if Tresure Hunter is not far, OBN is watching and Lost Items Recovery has a screwdriver in his hand....

Only advise I can give you : " Be carefull, man! "

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Bevis28

Nov 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab lover that i am, i think we can all agree that Minicab should be ashamed of themselves over the knob design and terrible headphones
on an otherwise stellar metal detector. I think we have all heard, at least once , of the customer that pulls the Excal II out of the box,
puts it together, turns it on and one of the the knobs breaks and falls into pieces in their hands. Shame on you Minelab. The flip side is that
they don't change the design and customers still run to buy them. Including me. Hey, maybe Minelab owns Anderson. Whoda thunk it ? ? ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know of many things (no matter how great they are) that couldn't be improved upon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread