Best FBS Coil????

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to upgrade my coil on my Explorer SE.....i currently use a 10.5" slimline coil. I am looking at the 11" pro coil and the 10x12 SEF coil......I am leaning toward the SEF but keep finding a review here and there that says the extra weight is not worth the benefits over the pro coil. I am also considerinng the 13" ultimate coil. I am first looking for the best depth/seperation....but also the cleanest tones and also weight is considered. Just looking for some opinions from experience with any or all of these coils. Thanks.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 13" Ultimate is the lightest but it was still too heavy for my liking on the S shaft of the etrac I had. The 11" pro was about perfect size to me.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 13" Ultimate is the lightest but it was still too heavy for my liking on the S shaft of the etrac I had. The 11" pro was about perfect size to me.

I have read reports of the sef coil falsing less on deep iron than the pro.....and also the seperation being a touch better. What do you think Fletch?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually depth and separation are mutually exclusive. To get one, you have to sacrifice the other to some degree. Generally a concentric coil will give more depth (in the center of the pattern) and better separation than a DD. The DD has a bigger "sweet spot" but slightly less depth. In many cases, "more" and "less" are relative and are so slight as to be unimportant, but in some cases it can be dramatic. The WOT coil is a very good option for the Explorer if you are hunting wide open spaces with little junk to contend with. Around a fire ring.....it's not near as good as an X-5 or 5 X 10 Joey. The small coils aren't going to find 16" deep targets like the bigger ones either, so, you need to decide which is more important to you. You can keep a variety and swap them out as needed. That's what I do.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll probably find equal numbers of fans of all three of those, but most all will say any are better than the slimline.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pretty much decided on the 6x8 sef for my small "trash" coil. Just cant make up my mind on the larger one. I wanted to make sure this machine was a keeper before I spent much on coils. I really like the explorer and have done well with it on both coins and relics so far so I guess its time for some coils
Hey Keith...do you keep the sef coils in stock?

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I'll never buy a piece of eastern European equipment again. IMO, quality is both performance AND component. Having three of them, two with issues, one of which is non-functional at all, I can say that they are junk compared to Sun Ray and Coiltek. The higher price of good stuff (like Sun Ray & Coiltek) is worth it because you don't have to spend the money more than once. I work too hard for my money to throw it away.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Josh -

Unfortunately there is only one source for new SEF coils in the USA..... and I don't like referring to my competition. :)

We do have two used coils that may be of interest to you... a 10x12 SEF and a white Ultimate. I don't have the ultimate listed yet but plan to have it up in a day or so.

My favorite small FBS coil hands down is the Sunray X5... I will always keep one with my Etrac for trashy spots. You may also want to take a look at the mid-sized 10x5 Coiltek.... the target ID and stability is a lot better than the 8x6 SEF. But, it does come at a higher price tag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions