burntfingers

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2015
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Minelab Excalibur 1000 that my parents sold me (they were the original owners, bought it in 2000). I've noticed that a couple of the knobs just turn and turn and turn, like the threads are stripped in the knob. Is this a common issue? Easy fix? If I can fix it myself, where do I get the replacement knobs? ???

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is only the knob spinning and not the actual pot turning inside the control, which is possible, the aftermarket knobs are available at several places including Kellyco. The stock knobs are actually designed to be the weak point so you do not damage the delicate pot. When you mount new knobs I would verify that the pot shaft is turning but don't turn it past its limits.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old Minelab Excalibur 1000 that my parents sold me (they were the original owners, bought it in 2000). I've noticed that a couple of the knobs just turn and turn and turn, like the threads are stripped in the knob. Is this a common issue? Easy fix? If I can fix it myself, where do I get the replacement knobs? ???

15 years old the o rings may need looked at on the knob shafts. I would consider a quick check up with new knobs from KellyCo or even LIR.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is only the knob spinning and not the actual pot turning inside the control, which is possible, the aftermarket knobs are available at several places including Kellyco. The stock knobs are actually designed to be the weak point so you do not damage the delicate pot. When you mount new knobs I would verify that the pot shaft is turning but don't turn it past its limits.
This /\/\ and that \/\/
15 years old the o rings may need looked at on the knob shafts. I would consider a quick check up with new knobs from KellyCo or even LIR.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd make sure the thing works properly before I started buy parts for it. If it needs work, it might be simpler to just send it in to Kellyco repair and have them do what needs to be done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are giving you good advice. If it was just the knobs turning and not the pots, the knobs would easily fall off. It sounds like at least 2 of the pots are bad.

Pots are $10.00 each, seals are $8.00 for the 17 in the Excal. It is $75 to open and reseal an Excal and that includes labor for one job like installing new seals or pots.

Estimated cost to replace 2 pots, new seals and opening and closing is about $125 if nothing else is wrong with it plus$14.95 return shipping with tracking. A small price to pay to restore a tremendous water detector....

Estimate to check out excal without opening it up is $37.50 and that cost applies towards any repairs if owner decides to continue with the repair of excal....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread