Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've sold off an investment property and want to treat myself to a new machine. Have an ATP which had cleaned up in the dry sands here in CA. The Excal II kills it in the wet/water. Question is, is the CTX worth the money? Who has the best deals? I'm not interested in buying a package full of stuff I don't need. Thanks in advance. Sal

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your pretty much set with the machines you already have. The CTX is a great machine. If you want it get it, if you don't need it then don't.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only you can weigh your options/wants/needs/etc, but if you buy, I urge you to shop around, especially with the forums' advertisers. And keep in mind that service/advice after the sale can be a component of cost too. Even the guys with the packages are willing to give a discount and still toss in something you may want. Let them all know you are ready to buy Today if you get the right price.

Realize that you are going to have to put in some hours to really understand the CTX. Yeah, you can turn it on and Go, but to get the most out of it, you need to learn its language and what all the various tweaks do.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of hunting are you going to use it for? You already have a couple of good machines for just about any occasion.

OP
OP
redcobra8u

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exclusively beach hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only real advantage to using the CTX over the Excalibur IMO, is, identifying and ignoring bottle caps. That, and the slightly bigger coil option, and relative ease in changing them. Maybe get yourself a good PI machine, like a Garrett Infinium LS or White's dual field to compliment what you have? Do you find something lacking in the Excalibur?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually dig everything above nails on a water hunt. But another advantage of using the CTX3030 is on a beach with heavy trash and coin targets. You can only dig so many targets in a day, so if you skip certain targets, you might get closer to the gold ring down the beach. Gary Drayton has a good chapter on how you can occasionally use this to your advantage in his Advanced CTX3030 book.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have the money to spend then why not? The CTX seems to find small gold chains easier than my Excalibur!
It does take familiarizing yourself with the controls but once understood it's as easy to use as any detector you took the time to learn.
I only hunt the beach but it's equally at home in the field!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread