lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my CTX back from Kellyco warranty repair. It was fast turn around. I found out it was delivered and ran home at lunch to pick it up to hunt after work

When I heard they just replaced the Keypad I was thinking it didn't sound right. Unless the control circuitry for the pad is built into it the problem should most likely be on the main board or wherever the control circuitry is.

Well I put it back together (left the lower rod, coil battery etc off when sent in) and turned it on and was ready to hunt.
About 5 minutes in the sound was getting strange and loud. So I went into the volume screen and started lowering it and everything froze. No sound, couldn't change the screen- LOCK UP. So I hit the power button and nothing happened. Tried pushing other buttons and finally shut off.

I started it up again and the tones sounded off and loud again so I push the volume button the screen comes up and tried to lower the gain and it locks up again. Back in the car and the Etrac comes out. After using the CTX the Etrac screen looks like crap.

It must be me because this is the 2nd repair back from kellyco that did not work. Last time it was my Etrac, sent it in under warranty, got it back and didn't turn on. Returned it and the power connector was not connected inside.

I'll do a master reset, this was not done by the tech because all my programs were still in. I'll see what happens but most likely I'll be calling Kellyco in the morning for a return label to send back another incomplete repair.

While a fast turn is great but only if its repaired. I would have been happier if it was held an extra day or 2 to get it a good workout before sending it back.

I work in Quality Assurance and if I had 2 repairs returned like this heads would roll. I think they need to look into things and maybe add a burn-in time and make sure its checked out & verified by someone other then the person who repairs it. Repair time is not the only thing that matters- it needs to be repaired.

Sorry to rant. I know they will correct it, they did the second time last time (Etrac) but that is not the point. Fix it the first time, not the second.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my CTX back from Kellyco warranty repair. It was fast turn around. I found out it was delivered and ran home at lunch to pick it up to hunt after work

When I heard they just replaced the Keypad I was thinking it didn't sound right. Unless the control circuitry for the pad is built into it the problem should most likely be on the main board or wherever the control circuitry is.

Well I put it back together (left the lower rod, coil battery etc off when sent in) and turned it on and was ready to hunt.
About 5 minutes in the sound was getting strange and loud. So I went into the volume screen and started lowering it and everything froze. No sound, couldn't change the screen- LOCK UP. So I hit the power button and nothing happened. Tried pushing other buttons and finally shut off.

I started it up again and the tones sounded off and loud again so I push the volume button the screen comes up and tried to lower the gain and it locks up again. Back in the car and the Etrac comes out. After using the CTX the Etrac screen looks like crap.

It must be me because this is the 2nd repair back from kellyco that did not work. Last time it was my Etrac, sent it in under warranty, got it back and didn't turn on. Returned it and the power connector was not connected inside.

I'll do a master reset, this was not done by the tech because all my programs were still in. I'll see what happens but most likely I'll be calling Kellyco in the morning for a return label to send back another incomplete repair.

While a fast turn is great but only if its repaired. I would have been happier if it was held an extra day or 2 to get it a good workout before sending it back.

I work in Quality Assurance and if I had 2 repairs returned like this heads would roll. I think they need to look into things and maybe add a burn-in time and make sure its checked out & verified by someone other then the person who repairs it. Repair time is not the only thing that matters- it needs to be repaired.

Sorry to rant. I know they will correct it, they did the second time last time (Etrac) but that is not the point. Fix it the first time, not the second.

Your detector was given a field test for 15 minutes in Kellyco's test garden and it ran fine at that time, also it was not tested by the tech that repaired it. Yours had a bad keypad that was replaced with a new keypad, your keypad was not responding correctly on arrival so the keypad was bad and replaced, when that was done it responded properly on the field test, the field test includes going through the various programs to be sure they can be accessed..

If a new motherboard is installed or a factory reset is performed the custom programs are usually saved to desktop and reinstalled after change out or reset so seeing custom programs doesn’t mean a factory reset wasn't done or that a new motherboard wasn't installed. The repair was not incomplete, it was repaired and working when it was shipped back.....It may have had another issue, but it was not apparent or visible at time of testing....

On your Etrac it was received on 12/22, new motherboard installed and returned on 12/29/2014. A new motherboard was installed, it was powered up and tested so the power was working. It was returned to you on 12/29 on arrival you reported it wasn’t working and you returned it, on return tech found the power was disconnected and it was reattached. Most likely rough handling by Fedex on return shipping caused it to jar loose when package was tossed or dropped.… Considering the condition of many of the boxes shipped to repair center it is a common occurrence.. Their repair center has no control over the handling of packages once they are shipped…

Minelab is emailing you a shipping label, send the CTX back in to the Repair Center…

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
This is great to have a shipping label from Minelab... each time I have to pay to send back the parts / detectors that are defective and it is not free at all !

OP
OP
L

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply. The overall kellyco service was great with response and return time. My frustration probably should be with the CTX and not Kellyco. Sorry
Just a disappointment when I was all set to hunt this site, a 1738 coin was found in the area and we were all set to search for what else is hidden below.

Its just my luck and frustrated because the unit failed (initial failure last week) after driving 2 hours to the spot and not having another unit and then when its fixed and get to this new site and it fails for something else. I haven't done the master reset maybe that will correct it.

Just curious for the Etrac issue Was a process/design improvement to stake the connector to avoid the connector becoming dislodged in "rough" shipping implemented as a corrective action? This would eliminate a future reoccurrence?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply. The overall kellyco service was great with response and return time. My frustration probably should be with the CTX and not Kellyco. Sorry
Just a disappointment when I was all set to hunt this site, a 1738 coin was found in the area and we were all set to search for what else is hidden below.

Its just my luck and frustrated because the unit failed (initial failure last week) after driving 2 hours to the spot and not having another unit and then when its fixed and get to this new site and it fails for something else. I haven't done the master reset maybe that will correct it.

Just curious for the Etrac issue Was a process/design improvement to stake the connector to avoid the connector becoming dislodged in "rough" shipping implemented as a corrective action? This would eliminate a future reoccurrence?

I understand your frustration, I just wanted you to know the repair center doesn't just throw a fix at an issue and ship it back out.

On the ETrac they haven't changed the design or a fix on the power for the mother board. They can recommend and that is about it...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH, does Kellyco have a preferred carrier for machines sent in for repairs/alterations? I know none of them are particularly easy on machines, but it never hurts to ask what the repair center has had better luck with.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco uses only Fedex, they get machines in using USPS, UPS and Fedex....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread