Excal modifications and reasoning

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I finally have my hands on an Excal II, and it is some months before I get into the water with it, I can make little changes in advance - like the straight shaft in particular - that's at Kellyco for under $40 - that one I really like.

Apparently there are a lot of complaints about the knobs, and I saw one fellow machining knobs & selling them. They're supposed to be very tight to enable the water seal. So I turned the knobs, yeah tight, but I didn't see any problem with that - forewarned is forearmed.

I've watched Youtube videos with helpful hints, like taping the cable at the control box and the coil to keep it from flexing and breaking seal.

Certainly a thorough cleaning after each use.

The coil cover on mine came cable tied to the coil. I think that's probably a good idea.

So, looking for other ideas here!

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to contact me and our repair facility for modifications and extras!!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Chris, I'm certain that straight shaft:

Minelab Rear Balance Rod Assembly (Excalibur) Metal Detector Sku: 519-110

is in my future, but unless that's a duh moment, I can make that change myself :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, a set of Anderson Knobs are $20 and will last you almost forever. You can make a straight shaft, go to West Marine or any Marine shop and look for a handle for a deck brush, it is 6 foot long and the coil shaft will slide right in.... Take your coil off, and take the lower shaft with you to be sure it is a good fit. Brush handle is $20, go to a Bike shop and buy a bike handle bar end that slides over the straight shaft..

Bike Bar End.jpg

Now you just mark where your controls will mount and drill holes for shaft, controls and battery..

Straight Shaft.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be able to remove coil cover for cleaning out black sand.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now you just mark where your controls will mount and drill holes for shaft, controls and battery..

Wow! Now that is a project! Looks pretty darned thorough, and there's months ahead before the water warms again - although the NC beaches will still be there if I'm brave enough to freeze my important parts! The beaches here locally are state parks and we have to have a lifeguard on duty to go in the water. Maybe a Winter trip to Florida! Thanks TH

Do you really recommend a knob replacement? My stock knobs all feel in great shape - a nearly new machine used only a couple times, and I believe it after receiving and playing with it. From what I've read, Minelab made the knobs as "sacrificial" due waterproofing issues.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to be able to remove coil cover for cleaning out black sand.

Thanks, and yep! I'll clip the cable ties, clean & re-install cable tying it securely.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On knobs wait till the originals break..... If you look you can buy a straight shaft on Ebay for about $90 already made, it will cost you $30.00 or so to make your own so your saving about $60 to make you own is all...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree on the ebay rod thing. PM me if you want the seller who I got mine from (he seems to sell the most from what I read on the net). VERY simple to swap rods.

I wouldn't bother with the securing of the coil cover unless it is loose. Do periodically clean it out.

Agree that you should just wait to upgrade the knobs. If you do the mod I mention below, you'll prob never have to have it done. You just don't turn the knobs very often except for the Disc knob.

My plans are to upgrade the headphones to the Grey Ghosts and install a shaft mounted switch to switch back and forth from Disc to All Metal modes. I know I could do it myself with the help of OBN's videos, but I also know that the Minelab techs are way better at it than I am.

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knobs are made to break if turned too hard to keep the metal from breaking off and damaging the circuit board. The aftermarket knobs are good, but you have to be gentle with any knob or you will need a board replacement. Anderson and Plugger make to majority of the straight shafts.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread