3030 tone chunk sound

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the generic beach mode, with ferrous coin, deep, selected. I'm using the Minelab supplied tone's for this pattern.

I get a strange 'chunk' sound on the end of some tones.

The tone, like a 12-40, comes through with a deeper 'chunk' on the end of the sweep/tone.

Doesn't happen all the time, just every now and then. Does it mean something different?

I'm digging lot's of pull tabs and tearing up the nickels- no gold so far, but I'm still looking.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep is the target? The E-Trac has a pronounced "thunk" with the high tone for targets that are on the edge of detection. I have noticed the CTX does it too, but not as pronounced.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
They are about 8", hunting dry/damp sand.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that does seem odd then. I don't often beach hunt so I can't say if there is anything particular to that which might cause it.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't know if has something to do with a tone hold or if it's trying to say a chunk of iron is alongside the target.

I'm checking my log and seeing that the few times I hear it- it's a rusty bottle cap most often.

12-40 or a bit higher with the high tone and a kerchunk attached to the end of the tone.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know if has something to do with a tone hold or if it's trying to say a chunk of iron is alongside the target.

I'm checking my log and seeing that the few times I hear it- it's a rusty bottle cap most often.

12-40 or a bit higher with the high tone and a kerchunk attached to the end of the tone.

Out of curiosity what kind of log do you keep? I like data!

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a log on my iPhone. I'm logging stuff while finding it so I can review.

The 3030 also does GPS logs where I can mark my finds, and it saves the settings for the find. I match it with the iPhone log. I pull them up on Google Earth.

The drop off chunk sound on the back side is telling me there is iron involved, usually in the form of rust. It's teaching me a lot.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's interesting. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 3030 from the Etrac here in the next couple of months so that's a good thing to know. I'm not disciplined enough to write down or otherwise log my finds right now, but I used to do that when I fished a lot and it was always cool looking back at weather conditions and other variables. Now I mostly just log my keeper coins and tokens that I find on a spreadsheet, but nothing in the form of settings and conditions.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know on my Safari that's sound always means iron. It has a good tone but then the iron chunk sound. I've learn to pinpoint using the X method first the use the pinpoint button, if it's iron it always pinpoint off center to the X pinpoint by quite a bit.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig it up to SEE what it is? This would be the easy way to answer the question. Then log that result for reference...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this is an older thread, but sound like you have a good signal with a piece of ferrous junk next to it making the tones sound "clipped". I would experiment an switch it to smooth sounds to see if this is caused by a nail or something and then play with the pitch and see if it helps. My machine will sound clipped with a low conductor sounding (sounds like a high tone with a "ump" as you pass it) and this is caused by a ferrous object. I adjusted around in the sounds in order to lower this noise so it isn't as pronounced. Seems adjusting the threshold may have helped.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you dig it up to SEE what it is? This would be the easy way to answer the question. Then log that result for reference...

Yes I have, now I leave it in the ground only when I find out it pinpoints off center. I have dug so many now to know it's junk. There still are times I dig it anyways just to make sure, and it's still junk but I have to convince myself just in case.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have, now I leave it in the ground only when I find out it pinpoints off center. I have dug so many now to know it's junk. There still are times I dig it anyways just to make sure, and it's still junk but I have to convince myself just in case.

Excellent,that's the way to do it...I know this is about a 30/30 but it's been said,like Jason said,that with FBS/FBS2 it's a target on the edge of detection and the "thump" is the machine trying to recover back to threshold. I guess anything in an area you suspect might have something good,the way you've been approaching it IS the way to approach it.
Good luck!
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread