CTX Headphone options

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Hey all,

Crazy day. Just put up half of my machines on ebay and ordered a CTX package from Bart. I am kind of impulsive.

Anyway, I was looking at the headphone options, and it comes with wireless phones.

I have a few sets of Sunray Golds, and I hear that I could plug those into the wireless module if I liked them better than the supplied ones. (Koss?)

What is the deal with speaker shutoff?

Does anybody get the waterproof Grey Ghosts and just leave them on all the time?

What is the conventional wisdom?

Thanks

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the wireless module to plug in your headphones the speaker will go off. I use the wireless all the time.
I bought a pair of Black widows and sold the Koss that came with it. To me the Koss do not block out enough outside sound.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
OK, that is good news, since I have 'phones that I like.

How does the audio compare between something like Sunray Gold's versus the underwater Grey Ghost?

I will eventually end up in the water with this thing.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a pair of $8 ear buds at Target, the ones that have the ear holding hook, drop the cord down inside the back of my shirt and plug it into the wireless module on the back of my belt. (1/8" jack adaptor $3 Radio Trash)

It's a great set up for me.

No heavy headsets, I can hear people around me, I can hear the tones really well, They take up NO room, forget they are there, I can wear a hat, I'm not tied to the detector... I'm very well pleased with the arrangement.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GG waterproof phones. Not great phones, but good, especially when I am taking it to the water. They really need better ear cups. Once you use it wireless, you will never want to be wired again.

Yes, use your good headphones. The Koss ones suck. They are my emergency backups

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the headphones only become an issue when you try and plug them into the machine itself and not use the headphone module. The few times I've plugged mine in was simply because I didn't recharge or forgot to bring my wireless module. Once I left my headphones and I was able to attach the WM10 up on my suspenders close to my ear (I use suspenders on my pouch belt) and I was able to still detect and not make so much noise that everyone was bothered. This is another reason why it doesn't hurt to keep your headphone plug adapter on the machine at all times.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go to the beach I have a waterproof bag the module goes in and can go into the water. I do not go deep enough for headphones to get wet. Since I use the 17" coil I don't go that deep because of the drag anyway so no need for waterproof headhones

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you do know that the headphone module on the CTX isn't waterproof, right? That headphone connection needs to be sealed.

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use the WM 10 module with my Rapoos hooked to it with the supplied usb\3.5mm cord. But right now Im building my
first Full Size Corded headphones for the CTX. One for land that and another for Diving or submersing. With all the wealth of
info plus a soldiering gun and some parts from ebay you can put together a set of Headphones just as good or better than whats available today.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you do know that the headphone module on the CTX isn't waterproof, right? That headphone connection needs to be sealed.

The CTX comes with a plug to put in the headphone jack and it doesn't get submerged

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back late Summer I was looking at installing the new o-rings, etc, to ensure my CTX was waterproof. Read a whole lot of posts on the subject. I was looking into waterproof headphones but read so much bad press on the quality of the less expensive waterproof Koss, at $175. The really good ones were over $300. Of course you could find the proper connector and solder to the wiring of a less expensive set of headphones.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX comes with a plug to put in the headphone jack and it doesn't get submerged

Yes, but that would also mean assuming you never drop it, and never take a large over the top, and don't get caught in a rain storm. That little plug is just to keep dust out, it does nothing for keeping water out of that connection or from getting through into either of the internals.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great tip, I'd not thought of that :(

This is what I use. They are military elastic suspenders. We used them to hold our field bottoms up many years ago when I was in the Army. It isn't the best, but it helps keep my pouch up and I don't get plumbers rear-end when I dig:

s-l1000.jpg

Yes, but that would also mean assuming you never drop it, and never take a large over the top, and don't get caught in a rain storm. That little plug is just to keep dust out, it does nothing for keeping water out of that connection or from getting through into either of the internals.

Jason is absolutely correct regarding the plug. I had to think for a second cause I only used the machine once in the water and never submerged it. Correct me if I am wrong, but without the waterproof headphones, there is no way to keep the plug dry in the water correct? I don't think the removable adapter with the headphones does nothing more than allow you to use the 1/4" plug?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason is absolutely correct regarding the plug. I had to think for a second cause I only used the machine once in the water and never submerged it. Correct me if I am wrong, but without the waterproof headphones, there is no way to keep the plug dry in the water correct? I don't think the removable adapter with the headphones does nothing more than allow you to use the 1/4" plug?

You are correct!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread