Excalibur II is this even possible please HELP

In The Scoop

Mar 15, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i bought an excalibur II yesterday, went down to pick it up, guy shows me it making a noise on wifes ring we buy, he unplugs, put it in car bring it home plug it in ....nothing i cant get it to work. Now i have charged it and tried again again....still nothing. What in the world could this be please as i don't believe it simply decided to pack in on the journey home, somethings not right here. All help much appreciated

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say "unplugs" ... ? please explain / elaborate...
I assume you are speaking of the bat pack ... but just to be sure.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did he unplug it? I assume you charged it for about 12 hours. We need more info.

OP
OP
I

In The Scoop

Mar 15, 2016
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes its been charged for 12 hours and reads 13.8v, i mentioned he unplugged it as this was the last time it worked and he said they are best unplugged when not using...the guy is fine with it and said i can have my money back but im just gutted and baffled as to why it would work one minute and not the next

thanks for your replies looks like i will have to fork out for a new one but it hasnt give me confidence in this model if thats how things can go, im very disappointed in the lack of info regarding this model from the manufacturers to i mean....no indication of battery charge, when charged, no light, nothing and surprise surprise the instruction manual conveniently seems to leave this info out to. For a £1300 machine i would have expected a little bit more from them

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes its been charged for 12 hours and reads 13.8v, i mentioned he unplugged it as this was the last time it worked and he said they are best unplugged when not using...the guy is fine with it and said i can have my money back but im just gutted and baffled as to why it would work one minute and not the next

thanks for your replies looks like i will have to fork out for a new one but it hasnt give me confidence in this model if thats how things can go, im very disappointed in the lack of info regarding this model from the manufacturers to i mean....no indication of battery charge, when charged, no light, nothing and surprise surprise the instruction manual conveniently seems to leave this info out to. For a £1300 machine i would have expected a little bit more from them

You will not hear me stick up for Minelab on your points... for they are 100% valid.
This has been a "gripe" of mine about ML for many years...
But I guess they don't listen to the end users.

With that said I will say...
I am a loyal ML fan non the less...
I have owned 6 detectors over the years made by them and will always own one for they are cutting edge tech.
But...
I think that they need to overhaul their ENTIRE product line...
Personally... I wish they would let me in the R&D department with a dry erase board for 1 hour.

:)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
i mentioned he unplugged it as this was the last time it worked and he said they are best unplugged when not using...

To be precise and specific, you still haven't said "what" he unplugged. Did he unplug the battery pack, or something else?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur is a fantastic detector which is why I own 2 of them. You need to be more descriptive on what it is doing and what he did when it was working. Tells us where you have the settings set at.

Where is disc pinpoint set?

Where is threshold set?

Where is volume set?

Where is Sensitivity set?

Where is Discrimination set?

Does it make any sound when you turn on the threshold which is what turns on the detector.

Volume should be set at max.

Sensitivity set to where it is stable.

NO discrimination.

As far as the battery charge indicator a volt meter works the best and will tell you exactly what your charge is. A fully charged battery will read between 13.5 to about 14.5 volts. Charging cable puts out 18 volts.....

You can also buy a smart charger for $29 that has LED light if you need that plus it switches to trickle charge when fully charged so no danger of damaging your battery if you forget to remove it from the charger, it also gives you a full charge after about 3 hours....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excai.JPG Reread Treasure Hunter's post.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea you need to turn the machine ON after you plug it back in.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If he unplugged the ikelite on the battery and you plugged it back in wrong then there will be a problem. Hopefully it is simple, always pay close attention when plugging the ikelite in..

skygear

Greenie
Mar 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a couple pics or a video showing how you set it up. That could help.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he figured out how to turn it on and has been loving life with it :laughing7:

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang how common is it. Never read about another person having this problem.

It is a common problem, I have heard of it many times, usually caused by constant bending of power cable where it plugs into battery.....You want to run the power cable where it has the most slack in the cable...

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a common problem, I have heard of it many times, usually caused by constant bending of power cable where it plugs into battery.....You want to run the power cable where it has the most slack in the cable...

This is good to know. Thanks for the reply

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread