May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have about 20 hrs on my machine thus far and just ordered several of clives books which should be coming this week. I have been playing around with the settings a lot and here is what I have found. Maybe some of you more experienced excal users can shed some light on what I am finding and add any advice for me that you might have...Oh, and I found my first silver ring with it today. Only 2 grams but silver nonetheless!

I have found that sensitivity does affect depth, especially in disc mode but not as much/at all in PP. In PP, I can hear the same target in sens 10 that I can in sens 6, even if faint. In fact it might sound better in sens 6 because there is no interference...BUT that same faint target, in disc and sens 6, may not register at all. If I turn my sens up to sens 10, it comes in loud and clear. So if I were hunting in disc sens 6 I would be missing targets that I could hear in PP sens 6. Does that sound right?

In sens 10, I have yet to find a target in PP that I could not hear in Disc and vice versa. But as soon as I turn the sens down I notice that disc is not as deep as PP. I also notice that, at least on my beach, I can hunt in disc sens 10 with zero falsing, but in PP I need to be around 7-5. I can hunt in higher sensitivity on the beach in disc than PP. So what that means is that if I am hunting in disc at my beach, I should be at sens 10, so that I get max depth and if I am in PP I should go down to get the machine stable. Thus disc is much more sensitive to sens than PP for depth at least.

Obviously these settings will change by beach/area/water but the principle would be the same.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You tune the excal, tuning requires adjusting BOTH threshold and sensitivity. Max sensitivity 10 is often not the best setting...

PP is always deeper than desc, best way to hear the deep faint targets is to turn threshold down till it almost disappears...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Treasure_Hunter:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread