Excal.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Just new with it myself in the water. I've found so far that it's a hassle locating a target in PP, and then stopping to reach the knob switching to discriminate. It's a hassle in the water with a straight shaft and the controls mounted behind the elbow. And especially if you install a knob guard. I've not looked at locating the PP at the top of the hand grip - another mod we see mentioned here.

And, maybe I'm just too new to the Excal to even talk about it !!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you try both ways to familiarize.
IF not in PP
Set dis at zero.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just hunt in disc mode, auto sensitivity for best stability. Yes manual sens CAN be deeper but not always and a smooth running machine is always better than one that is noisey or unstable.
In discrimination mode the Excal uses "pitch hold" threshold which means deep targets can actually cause your threshold level AND pitch to change without getting a target response. When this happens investigate by taking a couple scoops out and re-sweeping. You can also go to pinpoint and see if you get any slight whisper of a deep target. Good luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the Excalibur 2 going out tomorrow to give mine a little exercise. I was wondering if it was a good idea to use pinpointing for searching and reverse discrim. to see if its worth digging.Is there a difference in depth between the two? I would gladly accept all tips Thank you
Yes, and Yes.......... As mentioned, depending on your setup, it can be awkward to flip the switch from PP to Disc. Before I got the PP switch in the handle, I used a hip mount with the pod behind my back. This allowed me to flip the switch with my left hand (I swing with the right) as I dragged the scoop. Not ideal, but, it worked fine and was fairly quick to do. When you're out of warranty, get the PP mod and never look back.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am new to the excal this summer and have about 35-40 hours on it thus far. I like both disc and pp. Here are my current settings...

I keep my discrimination on 1. I really like disc in trashy areas but I am preferring PP for all hunting. After reading Clive's book on the excal I have been hunting in PP, sensitivity 10, and keeping my threshold turned down so that its quite. This is what he suggests for max depth. This takes all of the chatter out of PP/Sens 10 and you only hear targets. I have also air tested this setting and found it to be the deepest. I am not sure if this is the deepest method yet as I am still experimenting but I have definitely found it to be thus far. Then once you hear a target switch to disc. It takes one second and I haven't found it to falter yet as long as my sensitivity is on 10. When I have my sensitivity on anything less than 10 I found disc to false pretty easily...as in it would null/not recognize the target until I turned the sensitivity up. I have not found it to do that on sensitivity of 10.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is deeper in pp mode..

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the excal this summer and have about 35-40 hours on it thus far. I like both disc and pp. Here are my current settings...

I keep my discrimination on 1. I really like disc in trashy areas but I am preferring PP for all hunting. After reading Clive's book on the excal I have been hunting in PP, sensitivity 10, and keeping my threshold turned down so that its quite. This is what he suggests for max depth. This takes all of the chatter out of PP/Sens 10 and you only hear targets. I have also air tested this setting and found it to be the deepest. I am not sure if this is the deepest method yet as I am still experimenting but I have definitely found it to be thus far. Then once you hear a target switch to disc. It takes one second and I haven't found it to falter yet as long as my sensitivity is on 10. When I have my sensitivity on anything less than 10 I found disc to false pretty easily...as in it would null/not recognize the target until I turned the sensitivity up. I have not found it to do that on sensitivity of 10.

trying to understand on this. I use excal2 all the time and am still learning. If I switch to PP sensitivity on 6 it chatters slightly, but can pick out targets. You are saying
in PP set sensitivity to 10? Then Threshold down to no sound? How I can I till if machine is actually working, this way? I will try this, guess it works great.
So finding the deepest targets on non-trashy beaches, if target is at max pp depth, how then can you switch to disc. and identify target(making sure it is a GOOD hit) if too far from coil to reach in this in disc. mode?( even if you take a scoop out or two ) My coil would be to high up from target to get signal. Maybe not, I will just keep playing with settings, always learning, but DO NOT want to dig rusty little bolt
at 2 ft. Any more help on this much appreciated!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are we with the cal2 on the beach or water being out hunted by other detectors, larger coils, read-out machines etc... just wondering...want to do the best
I can do with the cal2, and be confident it is up to the task....Thoughts??? if so which machine would out perform the cal2??

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
trying to understand on this. I use excal2 all the time and am still learning. If I switch to PP sensitivity on 6 it chatters slightly, but can pick out targets. You are saying
in PP set sensitivity to 10? Then Threshold down to no sound? How I can I till if machine is actually working, this way? I will try this, guess it works great.
So finding the deepest targets on non-trashy beaches, if target is at max pp depth, how then can you switch to disc. and identify target(making sure it is a GOOD hit) if too far from coil to reach in this in disc. mode?( even if you take a scoop out or two ) My coil would be to high up from target to get signal. Maybe not, I will just keep playing with settings, always learning, but DO NOT want to dig rusty little bolt
at 2 ft. Any more help on this much appreciated!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Check out clives book on the excalibur, he explains it in there. Do a bunch of air tests to get a feel for it. To answer your questions...

You are saying in PP set sensitivity to 10? Yes

Then Threshold down to no sound? Yes

How I can I till if machine is actually working, this way? You can test it on your scoop. I turn it down to where its just quiet but clive suggests turning the threshold all the down so that its just on.

So finding the deepest targets on non-trashy beaches, if target is at max pp depth, how then can you switch to disc. and identify target(making sure it is a GOOD hit) if too far from coil to reach in this in disc. mode? Just turn to disc mode. I have yet to find a target on sens 10 that could not be detected in both PP and disc. At lower sensitivity I have found tons of targets in PP that I could not find in Disc until I turned sens up. So sensitivity definitely affects depth...but its not much from what I can tell in PP but it seems like a lot in Disc. And always remember deep targets can confuse VLF machines in disc mode so if its deep I always dig, at least a few inches off the top, before I decide to pass on the target

Keep in mind I only have about 40 hours in on the excal so I am new to it. I am still playing with the settings and learning them. I need at least another 100+ hours before I would feel confident that I am giving you good advice on the machine. These settings do appear good and they are what clive suggests in his book for max depth. But they wont work in all situations which is why you need to learn your machine. Next time you find a deep signal do some tests on it with different settings to see how it sounds. That is the best way to really figure it out. Each deep target I find right now I play with different settings to see what I can learn from the machine.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out clives book on the excalibur, he explains it in there. Do a bunch of air tests to get a feel for it. To answer your questions...

You are saying in PP set sensitivity to 10? Yes

Then Threshold down to no sound? Yes

How I can I till if machine is actually working, this way? You can test it on your scoop. I turn it down to where its just quiet but clive suggests turning the threshold all the down so that its just on.

So finding the deepest targets on non-trashy beaches, if target is at max pp depth, how then can you switch to disc. and identify target(making sure it is a GOOD hit) if too far from coil to reach in this in disc. mode? Just turn to disc mode. I have yet to find a target on sens 10 that could not be detected in both PP and disc. At lower sensitivity I have found tons of targets in PP that I could not find in Disc until I turned sens up. So sensitivity definitely affects depth...but its not much from what I can tell in PP but it seems like a lot in Disc. And always remember deep targets can confuse VLF machines in disc mode so if its deep I always dig, at least a few inches off the top, before I decide to pass on the target

Keep in mind I only have about 40 hours in on the excal so I am new to it. I am still playing with the settings and learning them. I need at least another 100+ hours before I would feel confident that I am giving you good advice on the machine. These settings do appear good and they are what clive suggests in his book for max depth. But they wont work in all situations which is why you need to learn your machine. Next time you find a deep signal do some tests on it with different settings to see how it sounds. That is the best way to really figure it out. Each deep target I find right now I play with different settings to see what I can learn from the machine.

Cool Did try and works fine. Just got back from beach. HOTTTT!!! out there. Stayed in trough a lot. no luck to speak of. Now I have put while in disc up to 10 or close to it and is ok unless near water then chatter. 6 is best for me in and out of shallow surf to sand , but can understand in pack would be goodyou say for extra depth. just my opinion a person is getting 5-6 more inches of depth on the PP 10 sen. will have to play with. A cool machine for sure, have used for years, but now retired andable to go to
beach all the time and use this machine. need to get most out of it. I think it is hardto beat the xcal2...

Thank you!!
If you ever figure anything out thatwould further assist about xcal2 please let me know. I will do the same. Dennis laptop typing!@#!@#

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting in pp, turn your threshold down as low as possible to the point if you turn it any lower you cant hear it at all...it will be very, very faint, this allows you to hear deep targets you want hear if threshold is up..

Use NO discrimination unless you don't want to dig gold, 10, 12 and 14 k can be discriminated out, especially white gold.

I have 2 excals, both have 15" coils and I find targets real deep this way, I mean deep, I have dug many targets 18-22 inches deep this way...

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting in pp, turn your threshold down as low as possible to the point if you turn it any lower you cant hear it at all...it will be very, very faint, this allows you to hear deep targets you want hear if threshold is up..

Use NO discrimination unless you don't want to dig gold, 10, 12 and 14 k can be discriminated out, especially white gold.

I have 2 excals, both have 15" coils and I find targets real deep this way, I mean deep, I have dug many targets 18-22 inches deep this way...

I have 2 of them also. Trouble is I have the 10 double D on both. It is a shame they do not offer (stock) a 15" OR do they??( w/straight shaft)??I think not... Will have to look up, either way will
have to send my cal 2 that has short in it back and have one put on it. I think the 15" is probable best all around, maybe?? Pack and wet... The 10 may be better for water, less drag? Hey,,,I sure
appreciate all the help from you on this forum....a great place to learn from the" BEST" in the World.. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dennis

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can have them installed by Minelab repair at KELLYCO. Don't let anyone else other than OBN do it, repair center has had to fix more than a few butchered by others, it is expensive to fix...

I hunt in the water with 15' coils all the, but I'm only 67 so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me :)

Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the water with 15' coils all the, but I'm only 67 so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me :)

Thanks!! I am just 66 years old and just learning which coil to use myself. I just have the 10" DD that came stock with my cal2's.

I certainly think I will be getting the larger coil put on my second cal2, but will have to when get back.

I noticed you are swinging the 15 foot coils, whoooeee, that's covering some ground quickly :)

Thanks for your help on this,
much appreciated,
Dennis

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!! I am just 66 years old and just learning which coil to use myself. I just have the 10" DD that came stock with my cal2's.

I certainly think I will be getting the larger coil put on my second cal2, but will have to when get back.

I noticed you are swinging the 15 foot coils, whoooeee, that's covering some ground quickly :)

Thanks for your help on this,
much appreciated,
Dennis
That's the idea at the beach or a large field. The more ground you can cover = more finds.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
That's the idea at the beach or a large field. The more ground you can cover = more finds.

Im getting the 15'' on mine this winter...im still putting time on my stock 10'' to learn the machine. I am also def doing the pinpoint mod. I assume turnaround is much better at kellyco in the fall/winter than the spring/summer when everyone is rushing to get stuff done.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To be clear on the PP mod, this just switches between Disc & PP, but the knob is still functional for adjustment?

If that is correct, then that is a gotta have modification.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So to put bluntly,,,,the10" coil is the WRONG coil for a beach or field. Maybe the water? 15" Go Deeper, right? What are some of the downsides to the 15" coil, has to be some, or they would
put on stock,,,,,seems to me anyway?

Thanks!!

One other question that I am not clear on, what again would be the setting to hit gold at the deepest dept. By reading above posts I think you are saying in
PP with sensitivity to 10 threshold to no sound would be good, but not sure if too hot to pass over some gold. I usually put mine in disc 1 sens to about 6 threshold
to just audible, will false a little while clipping water edge but no biggie. If you get null in disc. what do you do, pass up, dig, or just reset tone with scoop and go
on.

Thanks once again,,,just learning this thing now that I have time to use it.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be clear on the PP mod, this just switches between Disc & PP, but the knob is still functional for adjustment?

If that is correct, then that is a gotta have modification.
What adjustment? It's either PP or Disc and that's what the new pinpoint mod will do too. You're just moving the switch from the pod to the top of the handle for quick and easy access.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread