Should I trade in the French machine for a Etrac?

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used an Etrac for several years, absolutely love it for finding silver coins and old nickels. Earlier this year I bought a Deus out of curiousity. Whereas I never dug crown style bottle caps with the Etrac, the Deus had me digging them regularly. Unlike the Etrac, the Deus also gave good signals on anything round, including steel washers. I got tired of digging this junk and sold the Deus after less than a month. The Deus has some interesting features and fast reaction time; but, the depth meter is horrible and the ID is inferior to an Etrac.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the Deus less than 3 days, first day I had it, right out of the box, I tuned it to completely ignore steel washers, just tinkering with settings before I even read the manual or watched any videos - Don't blame the machine for operator incompetence. I lined up a penny, dime and washer, chimed like mad for the coins and went mute on the washer.
Bottle caps, not sure about that, I may set up a custom program to do just that in trash areas, knowing full well I'll likely be passing on any rings as well. Any machine/tool is only as good as its operator, and for you to give up in less than a month tells me you probably have a short attention span, are adverse to learn out side of your comfort zone, and $$ to burn.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the Deus less than 3 days, first day I had it, right out of the box, I tuned it to completely ignore steel washers, just tinkering with settings before I even read the manual or watched any videos - Don't blame the machine for operator incompetence. I lined up a penny, dime and washer, chimed like mad for the coins and went mute on the washer.
Bottle caps, not sure about that, I may set up a custom program to do just that in trash areas, knowing full well I'll likely be passing on any rings as well. Any machine/tool is only as good as its operator, and for you to give up in less than a month tells me you probably have a short attention span, are adverse to learn out side of your comfort zone, and $$ to burn.

A washer laying on the ground and a rusty one buried for a few years are totally diiferent.....And in three days you dont know what that machine is going to do in the ground. So dont jump on a guy who used one for a month.....a $300 dollar Tesoro will null out a new nail between two coins in the air, but put 30 years of rust in the ground with it and the whole game changes! You will dig rusty washers with the Deus i promise you!

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A washer laying on the ground and a rusty one buried for a few years are totally diiferent.....And in three days you dont know what that machine is going to do in the ground. So dont jump on a guy who used one for a month.....a $300 dollar Tesoro will null out a new nail between two coins in the air, but put 30 years of rust in the ground with it and the whole game changes! You will dig rusty washers with the Deus i promise you!

Halo effect Ok point granted, I guess thankfully I tend not to hunt in steel washer infected areas.

A guy that gives up on a machine like the Deus in a month doesn't need a new machine, probably needs a new hobby.
Too many folks looking for a magic bullet, 1 click, instant gratification in so many things ... People should know going in that a majority of metal things found in the ground is going to be pure trash no matter what machine you use. If a machine were to come out that positively, 100% tells you what you are going to dig before you dig it, that will be the last detector ever made, and everyone and their grandmas too are going to be out treasure hunting.

I have heard great things about the etrac, I have heard horrible things. It [along with the V3i] was in the final 3 when I settled on the Deus, but I wouldn't rule out owning an etrac down the line - Especially since they seem to come up used at a hefty discount fairly often.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a master's degree in engineering and know how to run a high end metal detector. A month was more than enough to tell me that the Deus was inferior to the Etrac for my needs. Somebody who regularly hunts in iron beds may come to a different conclusion.

Steel washers on the Deus gave silver coin signals, even with iron numbers discriminated out. Crown caps had the same problem. Perhaps you can find a workaround for these problems. Until then, I'll keep my Etrac and Explorers.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a master's degree in engineering and know how to run a high end metal detector. A month was more than enough to tell me that the Deus was inferior to the Etrac for my needs. Somebody who regularly hunts in iron beds may come to a different conclusion.

Steel washers on the Deus gave silver coin signals, even with iron numbers discriminated out. Crown caps had the same problem. Perhaps you can find a workaround for these problems. Until then, I'll keep my Etrac and Explorers.

Whether you are an engineer or pole dancer, no guarantee on learning curves, aptitude and patience/persistence. Etrac is without question a fine machine and can see one in my future, if you like it that is all that counts. I chose the Deus over Etrac because:

* Hate with a passion being tied to headphones
* Had a bad experience with a Minelab years ago [Quatro I believe it was called], still can't shake the stigma
* Heard it, along with the V3i, are complex machines to learn
* Although lifting weight is no problem for me, ultra light weight while out swinging sounded mighty good
* 5 year warranty also sounded good
* Is a deep seeking machine, nuances aside, and software updateable

Unless I am detecting the Acme Steel Washer factory reject burial lot, digging washers doesn't bother me. You guys who know what you are passing up don't really know, you think that you know.

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Halo effect Ok point granted, I guess thankfully I tend not to hunt in steel washer infected areas.

A guy that gives up on a machine like the Deus in a month doesn't need a new machine, probably needs a new hobby.
Too many folks looking for a magic bullet, 1 click, instant gratification in so many things ... People should know going in that a majority of metal things found in the ground is going to be pure trash no matter what machine you use. If a machine were to come out that positively, 100% tells you what you are going to dig before you dig it, that will be the last detector ever made, and everyone and their grandmas too are going to be out treasure hunting.

I have heard great things about the etrac, I have heard horrible things. It [along with the V3i] was in the final 3 when I settled on the Deus, but I wouldn't rule out owning an etrac down the line - Especially since they seem to come up used at a hefty discount fairly often.

You have three days experience with the Deus versus my 30 days. Has it occurred to you that I might know something from experience that you don't?

Furthermore, I don't believe you've heard horrible things about the Etrac. It's a great machine, a little too heavy, a little less than perfectly ergonomic, and perhaps a little slow; but, there's absolutely nothing horrible about it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have three days experience with the Deus versus my 30 days. Has it occurred to you that I might know something from experience that you don't?

Furthermore, I don't believe you've heard horrible things about the Etrac. It's a great machine, a little too heavy, a little less than perfectly ergonomic, and perhaps a little slow; but, there's absolutely nothing horrible about it.

So get rid of the Deus and get an etrac, what seems to be the holdup ?
Doesn't matter a single jot how long you have owned it, hours in the field it whats counts.

As far as you not believing what I said, whatever. Can't post links or even mention other MD forums, it is not a universally loved machine by one and all.

edit: Ok, I see you have an etrac and are not the OP, my bad. So we have 2 guys who have has a Deus for 30 days and don't like them, apparently.

I just said the etrac is a fine machine, I listed my reasons why I didn't chose it. So I really don't see what you are going on and on about

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bzepol8

Dec 3, 2010
Folsom, ca
Detector(s) used
deus, tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all who took the time to answer my question. I am very intrigued by the etrac and feel that i will sell my deus to get on e in the near future. While it is a nice machine, i would really like more stable ID and depth readings. Giving up the portability of the deus would be hard though. If others have any more advice to offer me, id love to hear it. I dont know why so many guys back-talk each other on this site though. Metal detectors seem to be like golf clubs to me. Some guys like one brand, some guys "play best" with another. The bickering is dumb....Thanks..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread