Advice needed on 17" Minelab coil for CTX

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've a spot I want to use this for ground coverage. The coil is in transit, so I'll receive that probably on Thursday, two days from now.

Anyone with experience with this coil on the CTX, please I'd love to hear what you have to say. Deeper is better, but my interest in more in ground coverage.

I've watched a number of Youtube videos and I haven't seen pinpointing addressed. One video noted that pinpointing was more difficult. Normally when I pinpoint using the 11" coil, I use the wiggle method and the coin is beneath the front end of the detection field.

How about the 17" coil? How do you pinpoint with it?

All other information is graciously accepted! Thanks in advance!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep... let me know when you want to sell me this coil... :)

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the same question as I'm getting the 17" and the 6" .
Some one responded and said the " wiggle " was the best method for the 17"
So sounds like your ready to go when it arrives, I have to learn this method as I pinpoint with the coils center.
Hope someone responds with more info
BT

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I received and used the coil this morning. I'd planned a 4 or 5 hour search, as it was 46 degrees at my house. I hit that 30 acre field with the coil. It worked perfectly, the FE/CO numbers were spot on, and pinpointing with the wiggle method put me within 2" of the target every single time.

What I hadn't foreseen was that 30 acre field was 1000 feet higher than me. When I couldn't take the cold and wind anymore - the skin on my hands had shriveled, and I was in PAINFUL cold. I stopped at 15 coin digs and managed to get back to my truck - and the temperature read 32 degrees.

I will do it again, that field, but I'll certainly be aware that the temperature there is at least 14 degrees below what I had here at home.

I REALLY like this coil :)

Keep the faith everyone!

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own and use this coil, I strongly suggest you ask Santa for a detecting harness if you plan to do many 4-5 hr hunts in the future. If will help with fatigue tremendously! Congrats on the new coil [emoji2]

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't find it just now, but I have, I think, a "Detecting Buddy" I purchased here several years ago for my Etrac. I'll find it and it is going with me on my next hunt. My major complaint with the Etrac was that it killed my elbow. Stock with my CTX I can go all day long. 17" with with the CTX, well maybe I ought to think about this :)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So sounds like your ready to go when it arrives, I have to learn this method as I pinpoint with the coils center.
Hope someone responds with more info BT

Not with the double DD coils. The wiggle method goes to where as you bring the coil back away from the signal to where it's at the top "crotch" of your coil, and you keep the constant signal there, it is right beneath the top or your signal. You just wiggle the coil there and it will be beneath the top of the signal within 2". You're going to cut a plug right there anyway. You'll learn to trust that with DD coils.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I use the heck out of my 17" coil. Nice depth, great coverage.

I usually triangulate to pinpoint with a DD, this one is no different.

Just not a wiggler, I guess.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the heck out of my 17" coil. Nice depth, great coverage.
I usually triangulate to pinpoint with a DD, this one is no different.
Just not a wiggler, I guess.

I've only switched to the wiggle method myself over this season. I did the same as you before.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... The wiggle method goes to where as you bring the coil back away from the signal to where it's at the top "crotch" of your coil,.

Almost. That is the "wiggle back" method. The Minelab wiggle is just a very tight wiggle of the coil back and forth. The wiggle-back method often can't work if you have a lot of targets close together. You can use the wiggle while X'ing the target to get a visual pinpoint of the target location.

KA1J

Dec 11, 2016
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received both the 6 & the 17 today, just in time for the great Connecticut ground freeze. I'd like to know more about the wiggle method for pinpointing with the 17. With the 11 I find the max pitch with the red ball glowing, make a mental line following the center line, front to back and then track it at 90 degrees on that line. When the max pitch & red ball is showing, the coin is always at the center of the X.

Not quite picturing how you're pinpointing with wiggling with the 17". Any assistance will be very appreciated. A link to any videos going over it would be fantastic.

Also, with a Harness as mentioned above, has anyone tried the Detecting Buddy and the Minelab harness? The Detecting Buddy is much less expensive but the Minelab looks more comfortable. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that has the Detecting Buddy and loves it.
I got to try it on when we visited last month and I will be getting one for my 3030 and the new 17" coil .
BT

QUOTE=KA1J;5218116]I just received both the 6 & the 17 today, just in time for the great Connecticut ground freeze. I'd l
ike to know more about the wiggle method for pinpointing with the 17. With the 11 I find the max pitch with the red ball glowing, make a mental line following the center line, front to back and then track it at 90 degrees on that line. When the max pitch & red ball is showing, the coin is always at the center of the X.

Not quite picturing how you're pinpointing with wiggling with the 17". Any assistance will be very appreciated. A link to any videos going over it would be fantastic.

Also, with a Harness as mentioned above, has anyone tried the Detecting Buddy and the Minelab harness? The Detecting Buddy is much less expensive but the Minelab looks more comfortable. Any opinions?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't find it just now, but I have, I think, a "Detecting Buddy" I purchased here several years ago for my Etrac. I'll find it and it is going with me on my next hunt. My major complaint with the Etrac was that it killed my elbow. Stock with my CTX I can go all day long. 17" with with the CTX, well maybe I ought to think about this :)

Never leave home without mine, makes Etrac with stock coil feather light

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this coil off and on. A couple weeks ago I pulled two silver dimes from a trashy area. You need to go slow in trash, I couldn't believe I did it. At the beach I was digging 16 inch deep dimes! I also just got the six inch coil. Now that thing will pick stuff out of trash, no silver yet but found a bunch of pennys, mixed clad with wheats in a junk infested area! Good luck. If it's acting up when using it just turn down your sensitivity! GL& HH!

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got the 17" ML coil. Seems like a real monster. Too bad the ground is just about frozen around here. Guess I'll be eating spinach and lifting weights until the thaw [emoji123]🏼

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3030 and have been following this post .
I plan on getting a 17" coil before spring, has anyone here heard of or had a problem with the wire insulation cracking around the coil where it goes into the shaft?
I have filed the sharp edges off the shaft and taped the wire on my machine, just courious if anyone has heard of this problem with the 17" coil?
Thanks
BT

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on getting a 17" coil before spring, has anyone here heard of or had a problem with the wire insulation cracking around the coil where it goes into the shaft?

I've never heard this. Interesting..... Maybe I should take a look. Why the 17" and not the stock coil?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3030 and have been following this post .
I have filed the sharp edges off the shaft and taped the wire on my machine, just courious if anyone has heard of this problem with the 17" coil?
Thanks
BT

Yes, but the problem isn't the coil, it's the extreme angle that cable/coil interface experiences when the unit is laid down. It tries to bend that connector at 90 degrees which will eventually cause a stress failure, which then leads to either broken wires, or corrosion from moisture.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if when you set the unit down, leave the coil in the detecting position and don't fold it horizontal with the shaft and put stress on the cable.
Sounds like that would be less stressful on the connection in the long run?
BT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread